Has anyone any experience with THai Health Insurance ?

aligator

In 2005 I contacted Eric Dohlon of Insurance in Thailand based in Phuket. I was moving to Buriram province. I compared a family policy of BUPA Platinum and Thai Health Insurance. Eric is fluent in both Thai and English and is a licensed insurance broker who was born in Thailand and educated at the American School in Bangkok. My wife and I have had procedures performed at several famous Bangkok hospitals including Bumrungrad with our in patient health insurance from Thai Health Insurance. The policy I bought was not quite enough for a private room at Bumrungrad, but it covered 100% of the minor in patient medical procedures. In 2007 Eric showed me how BUPA represented a better cover at a lower price for my family. I have been a BUPA in patient policy holder since 2007.

Without any family discounts, for a male born in 1954, for the 2 million baht per illness, (not a cap per year) Platinum policy, before any no claims rebates, I paid 57,174 baht in 2012. In 2013 I paid 59,933 baht. In 2014 I paid 60,097 baht. As I turned 61 in 2015 my premium went up (as it does every 5 years) to 83,404 baht for the policy. Worth it to me as I have seen bills from Bumrungrad and Bangkok Christian Hospital.

Thank you for sharing that. It is especially interesting as the current premium for the plan you mention between 56 and 60years of age is now 64k+ baht. So the increases have got larger over the last year than from previously. I am wondering if this is true for most policies?

AIA have many plans, all up to 70 years old and without medical exam, and starting at 20000THB/year with life insurance, and cash value. Better than that???? I didn't find any, and I got it at 69. Cost 32000THB/year. About pre-existing conditions? I just didn't declare any. On my first visit to one of the private hospitals, the best, VIP service, 6 months after getting the policy, the bill was 21000THB and AIA paid in full, and direct to the hospital.

The same policies and prices than Thai, to foreigners, but I believe that needs to be a resident, employee or retired expat, with at lest 6 months in the country. I am married with Thai. I do not know if that makes any difference.

Call an AIA office for information.

Edited by umbanda

I have been doing some research into Medical Insurance for my family. Ages; 52, 47, 10 and 7 years old.

I found that MSH's Vital plan covered us for Baht 30M for an annual charge of Baht 142,000.

Bupa was Baht 138,000 per annum but only covered up to Baht 2M.

Huge difference if you get seriously ill.

I was recommended to contact Eric Dohlan as well, but he was never in the country. He kept passing me on to his assistant, who was not very pro-active. Such a shame, as I might have preferred to use a broker, as a go-between if I needed to claim.

AIA have many plans, all up to 70 years old and without medical exam, and starting at 20000THB/year with life insurance, and cash value. Better than that???? I didn't find any, and I got it at 69. Cost 32000THB/year. About pre-existing conditions? I just didn't declare any. On my first visit to one of the private hospitals, the best, VIP service, 6 months after getting the policy, the bill was 21000THB and AIA paid in full, and direct to the hospital.

The same policies and prices than Thai, to foreigners, but I believe that needs to be a resident, employee or retired expat, with at lest 6 months in the country. I am married with Thai. I do not know if that makes any difference.

Correct me if I am wrong but looking at their site it looks like you can add a measure of health insurance to a life insurance package - but health insurance is not sold separately?

Correct me if I am wrong but looking at their site it looks like you can add a measure of health insurance to a life insurance package - but health insurance is not sold separately?

Umbanda, Yes. I had a look at the AIA website and came to the same conclusion as you did about them. BUPA appear to have all the bases covered, much as I hate to admit it! I still consider them rather expensive for what is covered and their limits ??

Sorry if this is little off topic but this url is useful. It gives the better picture of the various rough hospital fees (low, high & median costs).

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/realcost-thailand-surgery

This isn't a good deal is it ?.....at some ages (20--30) the price is higher than BUPA, & at my age (nearly 70) I am paying less with BUPA than quoted there-----but the link nabbie supplied is the killer, BUPA are so well know for going over what they have to pay in most cases. This company is spelling out it will only pay what "They" consider the surgeon should have charged.