Logan Trees

jak2002003

have a huge logan tree in the garden which is very healthy and getting larger by the day!

Its not causing any problems and is really beautiful... but someone told me I must cut it right back or it will drop branches in any storms.

I was hoping to just leave it to get as large as it could... I like the cover it provides and its a nice shape. It well away from the house and not near anything that a falling branch can damage.

I am not interested in getting fruit off it.. as I have about 8 other smaller logan trees that produce a lot of fruit.

Can I just leave it to nature.. or are theses trees too domesticated and need chopping back?

Also what does everyone do with the cut branches. I can't get anyone to take away my mango tree branches!!!

Thanks

People all over the world have an obsession with trees / branches crashing into their house. In 40 years I only ever saw this happen once, and that was after I lost the guy as a customer when I told him the tree was dangerous, chuckle. However, it does happen. You can shorten branches, remove longer ones that are only bearing fruit at their extremities, stuff like that.

Plenty of stuff to be found with Google. Only professional growers prune regularly.

• 1 month later...

Jak, I think you made the right decision. It's a common misconception that trees need heavy crown reduction (topping) to manage risk. Risk reduction, fruit production, shade and aesthetic pruning needs should be decided on case by case, tree by tree.

Longan/Lamyai trees have very hard, strong limb-wood and don't break easily unless over-burdened. Selective dead-wood removal, crown thinning and branch end-weight reduction may be appropriate.

http://na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_prune/htprune-rev-2012-screen.pdf

Here's a couple of articles that might help you and others make some decisions, including a Thai pruning guide compiled by an Australian arborist in Singapore and his Thai wife.

Why Topping Hurts Trees.pdf

THAI_-_PRUNING_GUIDE.pdf

Archived