New US Ambassador Glyn Davies says 'Sawaddee' to Thailand (VIDEO)

webfact

New US Ambassador Glyn Davies says 'Sawaddee' to Thailand (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Glyn Davies, who was approved as the new US Ambassador to Thailand by the U.S. Senate last month, said Sawaddee to the Thai people for the first time in a video released yesterday.

The former U.S. envoy to North Korea said he is honored to serve in Thailand, which is America’s strongest ally in Asia, while his wife Jacqueline Davies said their family is excited to explore the kingdom and working in Thailand will be an unforgettable experience.

Davies attended a swearing-in ceremony by Deputy Secretary of State Tony Blinken last night in Washington DC.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/09/15/new-us-ambassador-glyn-davies-says-sawaddee-thailand-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-09-15

New US ambassador says "Sawaddee to Thai People"

12029061_10153638029913637_1699958641_n-

BANGKOK: -- The new US Ambassador Glyn Davies and his wife greeted the Thai people with "Sawaddee" in a video clip released today on the US Embassy Facebook before coming to Thailand to take the new assignment this month.

The US ambassador and his wife Jacqueline Davies first introduced themselves in Thai and then took turn speaking of the new job in Bangkok in English, before ending their greetings in Thai again in a brief video clip.

Glyn Davies, who was approved as the new US ambassador to Thailand by the U.S. Senate last month, said Sawaddee to the Thai people for the first time in his introduction.

The former US ambassador to North Korea said he is honored to serve in Thailand, which is America’s strongest ally in Asia, while his wife Jacqueline said their family is excited to explore the kingdom and working in Thailand will be an unforgettable experience.

Davies attended a swearing-in ceremony by Deputy Secretary of State Tony Blinken last night in Washington DC.

The date for Davie’s’ arrival has not been revealed, but he is expected to take his post sometimes this month.

Thailand has not had an official ambassador for 10 months since Kristie Kenny, who was known for her colourful personality, left her post in November last year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-us-ambassador-says-sawaddee-to-thai-people

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-15

Seems like a very professional career diplomat and civil servant. Nice to see he involves his wife and talks about importance of families, something indicative of well balanced.

Hope the new British Ambassador is of similar apparent caliber. We need good strong involved Ambassadors.

Perhaps sending a new one now means the US will loosen up a bit on Thailand. Moving towards tier 2 perhaps?

Perhaps .... However why is the US "tight" on Thailand? Thailand can do whatever it wants to as can the US. I do not see either of the two changing and relations will continue to slowly deteriorate. This has been going on since Bush Jr administration and no end is in sight.

Seems like a very professional career diplomat and civil servant. Nice to see he involves his wife and talks about importance of families, something indicative of well balanced.

Hope the new British Ambassador is of similar apparent caliber. We need good strong involved Ambassadors.

Will the new British Ambassador's "wife" say Sawadee Ka or Sawadee Krap I wonder.

Glyn Davies says 'Sawaddee' to Thailand

well thats a hell of a speech in thai for an american...congratulation...as usual , it is tipical anglosaxon.....to me, he deserve a free beer and a very spicy ส้มต for that great demostration and knowledge of the thai language................! again bravo!

now how is it possible that some people sent like ambassador to another country to represente their own country are not able to speak the local language....i will never understand that....i mean thats the minimum to offer in my opinion.

coffee1.gif

well thats a hell of a speech in thai for an american...congratulation...as usual , it is tipical anglosaxon.....to me, he deserve a free beer and a very spicy ส้มต for that great demostration and knowledge of the thai language................! again bravo!

now how is it possible that some people sent like ambassador to another country to represente their own country are not able to speak the local language....i will never understand that....i mean thats the minimum to offer in my opinion.

coffee1.gif

And they can read cue-cards, so proud of them

coffee1.gif

The agreed language of diplomacy is English- it used to be French as you know

coffee1.gif

The agreed language of diplomacy is English- it used to be French as you know

i know it very well thanks....but has it look that that guy cant speak thai, then as a high representative of his strong country, i think that it would have been more intelligent to employ and stick to the diplomatic english language for his message in his first public apparition there.

all my life, in many countries i found people starting a conversation in another language just to show how clever they are and you can see that they know only a few words or fast nothing and it is imposible to carry on like this...so you know what at the end,..... they look more ignorant than funny, and this happened (i speak only from my experience) fast only with the anglo saxon who are the majority incapable to speak another language properly or correctly.

and to finish i would add that if you want to trade, sell, buy, negociate, be well understood etc etc, you better learn the local language where you live because i am not sure everyboddy will understand you.

sometimes i listen to the thai news in english and i dont understand them ...but the accent is very good!

His speech was fine and his use of Thai language shows respect for the country he's now in. I've met a few diplomats here and all speak very good Thai. A requirement for the job? I would think so.

He's got quite the resume. Both are very sharp. You don't get to that level unless you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyn_T_Davies_%28Senior_U.S._Diplomat%29