Want to buy a new bike - Test ride

SoFarAndNear

Hello,

I am driving a CB300F for 6 Months . It is my first big bike. I feel safe to drive something bigger, something around 600cc. There are so many choices - cb650, mt-07, er6n, z800, hyperstrada. I read so many reviews but where I can test ride these bikes before buying? Can I just go to a retailer and ask for a test ride? With my CB300F it was just a spontaneous thing...saw it in the window and thought "lets do it"....

Where do yoou live and the type of riding u do will play a big role in the kind of bike.

That said you cant beat a 4 cyl.

Cbr650 is a good bet.

Sent from my c64

Yes the CB650F is also my favorite. I read so much about it and its really a good deal for 285.000 because Made in Thailand. I live in Bangkok Bang Na.... I dont use bike to commute to CBD just driving for fun in Bangkok rural area and do some touring.... went with my CB300F to Rayong, Hua Hin, Kanchanaburi, Khao Yai...

Big bikes i find are expensive here by comparison to the US or Europe,there's massive amounts of tax levied on them.unless of course you buy a Jap bike that's made in Thailand.One bike i like and it's got decent reviews,not sure if it's made in Thailand but the new price seems almost on a par with the UK is the Kawasaki er650f. I've found Kawa do make stonking engines,and very reliable with a bit of character too,unlike the classy but oh so predictable Honda.

Anyway whatever you decide,i wish you all the best in searching for a bike,That's half the fun.Good luck and stay safe.

Edited by phitsanulokjohn

I own a CB650F and love it. I've ridden the ER6N and though it's not as comfortable as the Honda, I like the torque a little more than the straight 4 on my bike. That being said, I prefer the look of the 4 and highway top end power it delivers. I think you won't go wrong on any of your above choices. The CB650 is a very, very comfortable bike and easy to manage even in BKK in my opinion. For me, I just get use to whatever I end up owing, but the CB650 with the trip-color was a smart pick for me. I race it too. I did a full exhaust swap, power commander and added Perilli tires. Fun fun!!!

Honda, Ducati, Kawa official dealers will all let you take a bike for a spin. Not sure about Yamaha but maybe with the MT-07.

From the bikes listed I wouldn't go for the Z800. Heavy and no ABS. the CB650F is a good bike, probably the best deal. MT-07 is comparable in power with a bit more torque down low but Hondas dealer network is much much better. ER6N are also comparable but it's a bit old and I prefer an inline 4 to a parallel twin any day.

Hyperstrada: I didn't like it during a test drive and I own a Ducati... also I heard they'll stop this model (Hypermotard continues). The new monster is quite good.

In a bit over a month there'll be a flood of new models due to the EICMA. Ducati alone announced they'll bring 9 new models there. Don't buy anything right now. Wait and see and maybe you can grab a deal at the motor expo in BKK a bit later.