>From Nobel Peace Prize nominee and Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh

Only collective awakening can help us to solve the difficult problems

in our

world like war and global warming.

In an upcoming talk which I have been invited to give at UNESCO (United

Nations Education Science and Cultural Organization) on October 7th, I

will

propose that UNESCO organize a Global No-Car Day -- a day when people

refrain from using their cars, except in emergencies.

It may take six months or more to prepare for such a day. UNESCO can

promote

this day around the world and use it as a means to educate and inspire

collective awakening concerning the present environmental dangers

facing all

of us on planet Earth.

I will suggest that UNESCO itself, from the director to ambassadors and

other members, try to live in such a way that the message becomes a

true

message; not just a call for action -- but action itself!

In our daily lives, we should each try to drive a car that doesn't

pollute

the environment, ride a bicycle more often, or use public

transportation.

Everyone of us can do something to protect and care for our planet. We

should live in such a way that makes a future possible.

Thich Nhat Hanh

September 16, 2006

Deer Park Monastery

Escondido, CA

Please click the link below to sign the petition to show your support.

Invite your friends to sign as well.

We are trying to collect 10,000 signatures by the time Thich Nhat Hanh

gives

a talk at UNESCO on October 7th -- that's less than two weeks away.

http://www.deerparkmonastery.org/petition/index.html

If you can, please also send a personal letter directly to the

Director-General of UNESCO, the Honorable Koichiro Matsuura at:

[email protected] <mail to: [email protected]>

Thank you so much for your support!

Please contact us at [email protected]

<mail to:

[email protected]> if you have ideas for or would like to

help us

develop and promote a Global No-Car Day.

I'm not against Buddhists being active in improving society but did the Buddha ever teach that people should do this? Did the Buddha ever say that people should be active in supporting social agenda? Did the Buddha organize his monks to be a social activist corps?

I think not....but I could be wrong.

Chownah

I'm not against Buddhists being active in improving society but did the Buddha ever teach that people should do this? Did the Buddha ever say that people should be active in supporting social agenda? Did the Buddha organize his monks to be a social activist corps?

I think not....but I could be wrong.

Chownah

You're not wrong, but it doesn't need to conflict with Buddhism if non attachment to outcome of these activities exists.

Have just finished a couple of books of his.

Tell me more about him.

I am no great expert or disciple myself although currently part of a small group which meditates in his recommended manner.

TNH is indeed an unashamed activist in several fields, but in a spiritually elegant manner. He is highly regarded and very pro-interreligious dialogue. The group that follows him in the UK is called the Society of Interbeing. A group I was a member of in the UK secretaried by a lovely friend who's a Brighton council member called the Network of Engaged Buddhists communicates with and quotes him. Joyce and I were very active protesters in the runup to the Iraq invasion. So perhaps you can get a sense of where his (TNH's) interests extend.

TNH left Vietnam for the US to protest the war. A few weeks after meeting him the brilliant Robert McNamara resigned his post. TNH was not allowed back into Vietnam and has been based in the west ever since.

He did a commentary on the great Diamond Sutra some years ago which was well worthwhile.

He is coming to CM next year to lead a retreat and I hope to get some personal time to get some comments on something I'm working on. I dare say you can do a very worthwhile web search but I can only offer comment on the personal touch (I hope) after the retreat. Perhaps someone else can help you better.

Edited by sleepyjohn

Thanks for your info.

As I said, I have just finished a couple of his boks and like his style of writing quite a lot. He has a vert gentle way of expressing his thoughts and ideas. His idea of engaged buddhism sounds helpful.

He comes across as sincere but I detected anote of cynisism from lanarebirth, d &d and chowdah. Any reason?

The swagman,

I did not want to sound cynical at all. I know nothing about this monk...nothing at all. My comment was simply about what did the Buddha teach about....especially what did the Buddha teach about what monks were expected to do. It is my view that the Buddha did not urge monks to go out and solve social problems through activism....he did not urge them to raise funds for any purpose no matter how noble. And I agree with lannarebirth that being a social activist need not conflict with the following of the Path (at least as far as I know). I do wonder sometimes about what is appropriate action for monks but I fully realize that it is not helpful for me to criticize what other people choose to do and I have very little understanding of where the Path might be for other people. I guess that my post was mostly meant to just remind people that social activism while probably usually a good thing is not central to the Buddha's teachings....at least as I understand them.

Chownah

Thanks for your info.

As I said, I have just finished a couple of his boks and like his style of writing quite a lot. He has a vert gentle way of expressing his thoughts and ideas. His idea of engaged buddhism sounds helpful.

He comes across as sincere but I detected anote of cynisism from lanarebirth, d &d and chowdah. Any reason?

swagman,

Thich Nhat Hanh IS sincere. His "Peace Is Every Step" is the very first book regarding Buddhist practice I ever read. I'm sorry you detected any cynicism in my post. It most certainly was not intended. I find nothing at all wrong, and alot right with social activism, or as we're calling it here "engaged Buddhism". Everyone should do what their heart and mind call upon them to do. Myself, I tend to adhere more to what Mahatma Gandhi said:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

In the following trainings, you can see that Thich Nhat Hanh takes a wider view to include what we would have others do. As I said, I find alot right and admirable with that; and if it can be done with no attachment to outcome, it is IMO in accordance with what the Buddha taught as I understand it.

The Five Mindfulness Trainings

(according to Thich Nath Hanh, www.plumvillage.org)

-First Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I am committed to cultivating compassion and learning ways to protect the lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to condone any act of killing in the world, in my thinking, and in my way of life.

-Second Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by exploitation, social injustice, stealing, and oppression, I am committed to cultivate loving kindness and learn ways to work for the well-being of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am committed to practice generosity by sharing my time, energy, and material resources with those who are in real need. I am determined not to steal and not to possess anything that should belong to others. I will respect the property of others, but I will prevent others from profiting from human suffering or the suffering of other species on Earth.

-Third Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I am committed to cultivate responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and a long-term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct.

-Fourth Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivate loving speech and deep listening in order to bring joy and happiness to others and relieve others of their suffering. Knowing that words can create happiness or suffering, I am committed to learn to speak truthfully, with words that inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to criticise or condemn things of which I am not sure. I will refrain from uttering words that can cause division or discord, or that can cause the family or the community to break. I will make all efforts to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small.

-Fifth Training-

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivate good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practising mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I am committed to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being, and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family and society. I am determined not to use alcohol or any other intoxicant or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain TV programs, magazines, books, films, and conversations. I am aware that to damage my body or my consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancestors, my parents, my society, and future generations. I will work to transform violence, fear, anger, and confusion in myself and in society by practising a diet for myself and for society. I understand that a proper diet is crucial for self-transformation and for the transformation of society.

Edited by lannarebirth

Thank you gentlemen for your reply.

Buddhist practises and teachings have over the years shown a flexibility and adaptability to differing cultures and places. I guess what we have here is a difference in the two of the many schools of Buddhism.

I apologize if I misread your posts.