All UK nationals now require an ICPC for Thai WP?

Cowpatrick

Hi,

After a few years teaching in Thailand, I returned to the UK in June to spend a few months visiting family. I've also been teaching a summer course at a UK language school. I had an enhanced DBS check done, in order to work there. I presumed this would be enough, when I returned to Thailand to teach again....I also thought that if you work at a language school or university, rather than an actual school, the police check wasn't required anyway. However, after just applying for a position at a language school, they just informed me "The DBS certificate/criminal background check is good but UK nationals now require an ICPC (International Child Protection Certificate) for a Thailand work permit. " ???? Is this true? It costs around 70 quid, and after just paying for the Enhanced DBS, it seems a bit unfair. Is it really now required for all UK teachers, regardless of what type of education institute you work at? Thanks

I was able to get my work permit 3 weeks ago and it never came up. I was not even asked about a police back ground check. Maybe because I am working at a college and the students are above a certain age worry, I have no idea. I am sure they have most likely got confused and you will not need anything more than you already have. Good luck!!

Some of my teachers getting their NON Imm B in the UK from the embassies did and could not get it if it was over 6 months ago. As for getting their Non Imm B here and WP I have not heard that and someone received their Visa and WP yesterday.

But the way they are changes rules and procedures nothing would surprise me.

Some of my teachers getting their NON Imm B in the UK from the embassies did and could not get it if it was over 6 months ago. As for getting their Non Imm B here and WP I have not heard that and someone received their Visa and WP yesterday.

But the way they are changes rules and procedures nothing would surprise me.

Why do people keep on saying this ? The rules and law change very very infrequently, all that changes sometimes is their enforcement.

I was asked for one by my new school I said no problem, completed the form and requested approx 5000 baht (includes postage) to cover the cost, I can't remember there exact reaction, but they never mentioned it again. I got my work permit a few weeks later.

So, no it doesn't appear that you need one to get the Work Permit.

I personally think all teachers of all nationalities should have such a background check

Hope so, seems every week we hear some story about some Brit diddler being busted in SEA.

One Brit a week wow thats bad man but does that beat the US record or are they more discreet.
I've been out here half a lifetime. All the creepers I have known of have been from UK with the exception of one, a Canadian. The latter was actually teaching and creeped me out to no end.

Huge contingent down in Pattaya. A friend from UK pointed them out years back. A few of them taught. One was caught and went to live in Philippines (eye roll). Absolutely certain of all tbis.

I realize that there are bad men trolling for both sexes, but it is always almost without exception homosexuals. Its always some 55+ yo loser in a pinch with the cops over a boy. Always.

Schools should take cautious approach and not hire foreign homosexuals.

One guy I worked with gave out his phone#,email and was alleged to have secret fb page despite not having an active one himself (half dozen deletes under his name tbough). Student/s did communicate with him by phone, heard and saw myself. I caught him twice 'tutoring' an M2 student alone in a classroom, lights off (room was not dark). He was both tines snuggled in with the student, hunched over 'the lesson' and it was way creepy and one of the sleeziest things I've seen in SEA, in a very distinguished school as well.

He fit the profile perfectly. Head teacher not interested, may cause issues and take away drinking time. Agency director very fabulous - no interest. In fact, oir meeting was quite confrontational, I left out of pure dusgust and revolt over the two teachers, my manager and the most fabulous director at the agency. Nothing to see here...move along.

Edited by Mencken