VN wants fishermen compensated

Lite Beer

VN wants fishermen compensated
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prawit, Somyot urge marine police to explain incident; Vietnam complains of excessive force

DEPUTY Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan yesterday ordered relevant authorities to provide clarifications about reports that Thai marine police shot dead a Vietnamese fisherman on a trawler that was allegedly fishing in Thai territory.

"I am waiting for information from authorities involved," he said.

National police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmuang, meanwhile, said he has instructed the chief of the Marine Police Division to explain exactly what happened, because the information available to him now does not mention any deaths.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee said to date Vietnam had not lodged any letter of protest about the reported incident.

Vietnam has asked Thailand to provide compensation over the shooting of three fishermen by Thai marine police last week, state media reported yesterday.

Vietnam Foreign Ministry spokesman Le Hai Binh said Thai authorities had used excessive force even though the boats were fishing illegally in Thai waters. Vietnam had previously said the fishermen were in Vietnamese territory.

According to reports in Vietnam, one of the fishermen was shot dead and two injured when their vessels were accosted earlier this week, and though Thailand has admitted to the incident, it has not confirmed the casualties.

"In any circumstances, Vietnam strongly condemns inhuman treatment, the use or threat of force on Vietnamese fishermen," Binh was quoted as saying by the Thanh Nien newspaper.

Vietnam has also called on the Thai government to investigate those involved and "properly compensate" the victims and their families, Viet Nam News reported.

Vietnam's Foreign Ministry also sent a diplomatic note yesterday to the Hanoi-based Thai embassy, voicing deep concern over the incident and asking Thailand to investigate the case.

Thai authorities said their security vessel fired "warning shots" at the Vietnamese boats off Narathiwat province, when the intruders manoeuvred in an "aggressive" manner.

The survivors said the Thai security officials threatened in Vietnamese via loudspeaker that they would be "shot dead" and so they tried to flee.

The fishermen added that they were detained and some of them beaten before being released to their bullet-riddled vessels.

The Thai police also seized their communications equipment, they said.

Thailand should take responsibility for its actions in the interest of preserving good bilateral ties, Binh said.

Vietnam's relevant agencies have been working closely together to enhance management and supervision of its fishermen's activities to prevent violations of neighbouring countries marine territories, Binh added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/VN-wants-fishermen-compensated-30269117.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-19

Few Vietnamese boats lying sunk in the Chumpon river, they are painted green. Supposedly they have been lying there for decades. With my curiosity piqued I asked a trusted local friend about their story - and wish I hadn't bothered. It is a tale of officialdom, gold, orifices, children, women, murder and rape.

Well seems fair as Thailand jumps on the compensation bandwagon when something happens to their citizens and are very much a culture of blame.

So now Thailand becomes responsible for Vietnamese illegal fishing? They were caught off the coast of Thailand 40km in earlier reports it seems the Vietnamese boat had engine trouble so Thai Navy Police sent an engineer on board to fix it - it seems maybe a delaying tactic by the Vietnamese because they radio for a whole fleet of Vietnamese fishing boats to attack the Thai Navy Police. The Thai Navy Police being outnumbered fired their guns according to international law in front of the boats. It seems ridiculous that the Vietnamese authorities claim that this happened in the disputed area claimed by 3 countries Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam that area is in the center of the Gulf of Thailand 100s of km from Thai shores unless you tell me that 40km from Thai shores is Vietnamese territorial waters! See map it is indicted as area No.3 http://cogitasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/JointDevelopment_1_620.png

Few Vietnamese boats lying sunk in the Chumpon river, they are painted green. Supposedly they have been lying there for decades. With my curiosity piqued I asked a trusted local friend about their story - and wish I hadn't bothered. It is a tale of officialdom, gold, orifices, children, women, murder and rape.

Don't be vague, tell us more.

If Thailand shines at something, its how to make enemies for them self ... Vietnam is not good to start a fight with, Thailand - your arse will get wiped ...

Soon only China and N. korea left to play with ... facepalm.gif

No we whipped their ass during their Cambodian occupation