If your budget was 70-80,000 / month where would you rent ?

I would like to rent in Bangkok next year. My budget for a condo rental is 70-80,000 baht a month and I would like to rent in a new building if possible in one of the better locations. I would prefer to sign up for a 6 month lease rather than a 12 month lease.

If possible I would like a place surrounded by coffee shops and restaurants and as far from the Nana / tourist scene as possible.

Can anyone give me some tips as to where they consider are good areas and what buildings might have units that meet my needs. Also are there any good web sites that I could use to check out potential listings.

Thanks

I'm somewhat biased since I own condo's in Tonglor, but it's almost not like being in Bangkok. Many expats, especially Japanese, all my tenants are Japanese. The area is full of good restuarants, coffee shops and a world away from Nana Plaza and associated sleaze.

BTS Tonglor gives you good access to the city and the MRT couple of stops up at Asok

Never understood people renting or buying condos, houses are much cheaper and more comfortable.

That is a good question. I only can answer for myself:

• In a condo i not need to take care about other stuff except my rooms
  • A good condo has a security (House only have, if you stay in a secure area)
  • A condo has facilities (in my case: Swimming pool, fitnes, sauna, steam room and a 2 bowling lanes)
  • A condo you can leave alone for some times without need to scare that it is empty when you come back

I also can see a house as advantage but I not want take care the garden and all that stuff. Of course I could pay for a gardener and other people to do stuff.... But in my opinion a house make sense for people who love to work in garden or to do something. So for myself a condo is perfect. And yes, a condo is more expensive than a house with similar size but it is worth it for me.

Never understood people renting or buying condos, houses are much cheaper and more comfortable.

Maybe in Issan or some other no where place but try renting a house in any of the hot spots in the heart of town eg Bangkok, Phuket or even Pattaya.

I've always preferred living in a condo/apartment. It's been the women in my life that have insisted on houses, in my 'between women' moments condo's have been my residence of choice

Switserland ? It sure wouldn't be Thailand.

Can I ask why? I have been to Switzerland and it's a very nice country but I find it rather boring and COLD in the winter.

Sure Rich.....This post is about spending 70-80k/ month on rent . An insane high number to waste on rent . If I had to spend that kind of money , I can only think about a country like Switserland , near the German border for cheap shopping....

Switserland is a beautiful , clean , relatively low tax , safe country. If you take away the Thai women , Thailand is a far more boring place , and after a combined stay of 10 years in the tropics , I've grown to hate the heat and love the cozyness of cold winters. (and you can still go on holiday if the cold gets to you).

Condo's is asking for problems with you neighbours. NOISE !! Noisy neighbours are the worst. This is not a exclusive Thai thing , noisy b...rds are everywhere , it's just with Thai (or other 3rd world ) construction of condo's and houses , the problem is worse.

It goes the other way too. If you enjoy music or have that 5.1 surround system for your movies (or just loud as-s kids), YOU are going to annoy your neighbours.

70-80k /month for hearing your neighbours and/or be quiet yourself is unreal.

Maybe cause houses are subject to break in from practically anyone, from the junkie to the security guard ... a condo is more safe as other tennants tend to keep scum away by their presence ...

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. I saw a few replies suggesting to purchase a house. I know it's a bit off topic but from what I understand that's not an option open to foreigners. This is the reason I was mentioning about rent. Also as I already I have properties rented in another countries that I own it seems that renting in Thailand would be a reasonable idea.

I have waited for some time before even posting a reply here.

How does one recommend anything when the OP only mentioned a budget and for a condo?

The budget 70-80K is the budget for the condo. So what more information you need.

When i read it first i almost wanted to ask how much he want spend for the condo, till I realised he only want spend for the condo alone 80K

I have waited for some time before even posting a reply here.

How does one recommend anything when the OP only mentioned a budget and for a condo?

The budget 70-80K is the budget for the condo. So what more information you need.

When i read it first i almost wanted to ask how much he want spend for the condo, till I realised he only want spend for the condo alone 80K

Condo meaning? Ranges from duplex shoe boxes, to 200+ sqm family units...