Navy, Defence Volunteers round up teen gang of motorbike mischief-makers in Nai Harn

Lite Beer

Navy, Defence Volunteers round up teen gang of motorbike mischief-makers in Nai Harn
The Phuket News

1442725296_1.jpg

PHUKET: Acting in the absence of an active police presence on the island's southwest coast, Royal Thai Navy servicemen teamed up with Civil Defense Volunteers last night to apprehend 11 teens who were causing mischief on motorbikes in the area of Nong Harn lake and Nai Harn Beach on the south of Phuket.

The "Dek Wan" (teen motorbike racers) gang, which included five girls and six boys, aged 12-18, were reported to be causing public disturbances, driving recklessly and engaging in street races all around the lake and beach late last night.

The joint-force managed to apprhehend the minor suspects, seizing seven motorbikes in the process.

One of the teens was found to be possession with a small amount of cannabis and has been transferred to the detention of Chalong Police, which officially has jurisdiction over Rawai and Nai Harn.

The remaining teens were detained at an undisclosed location at Nai Harn Beach pending their parents being contacted to claim them and their seized property.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-defence-volunteers-round-up-teen-gang-of-motorbike-mischief-makers-in-nai-harn-54184.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-20

I always wondered how Rawai/Nai Harn can not have its own police force. There is enough crime going on in these areas that it should warrant at least 2 active police officers at all times. The Chalong police station is also known for its corruption so you can't count on them doing anything apart from shielding criminals with good connections.

I used to live in Rawai when it used to be more or less a relaxed area with access to a nice beach (Nai Harn). Then more and more shitty bars opened, more kids ended up with drug problems, the teen idiot gangs showed up, underage prostitution at the pier, more and more construction so you can't see any green areas while driving through saiyuan anymore... I can go on.

Still have friends there so I frequently hop back and always miss it a bit but if I stay longer than a day I quickly realize why I moved away. The place is going to the shitter and the local officials are to blame. But I guess the new "Movie Museum" at Nai Harn beach will turn it all around... <deleted>.

It's good though that the Navy shook them up a bit. But so far, from experience, the military shakes things up and things get back to like it was before after a short while. They need to stay active to make a real difference.

Article about Defense Volunteers -

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-army-changes/2043624.html

"The Thai government, however, has adopted a new approach to security this year. In April, it started to reshuffle the 60,000 soldiers deployed to fight the insurgency in Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and part of Songkhla provinces. The next change would be in October.

The Thai army is gradually changing its tactic in the deep south by putting more troops who were born and bred in Southern Thailand in charge of keeping the peace on the ground."

"The new tactic emphasises the role of civilian defence volunteers, consisting of military-trained locals. Their job is to maintain peace in areas prone to militant attacks, such as schools and community centres."

I see many of them hanging about the Kathu Mayor's Office and school. Seems like they are local soldiers.

But who or what are the defence volunteers? Never heard of them, until 2 weeks ago an incident in patong and now they're here ad well?

I assume they mean the Civil Defence Volunteers. These volunteers have existed for many years in Thailand, helping out after natural disasters, floods etc. (They have decent equipment, pumps, boats etc).

Their logo is an open hand, usually wear army fatigues.

Here is a link to one local group of CDV:

https://www.facebook.com/CDVLaksiRescue

My neighbor is a Civil Defense Volunteer in Rawai. He has a truck with the hand on the doors, flashing lights and at times speakers mounted on the top. He's been doing it for the 10 years I've lived next to him. And yes they wear a light brown uniform and have police radios. Most likely he was involved with the roundup.

Rounding up the 12 year old motor bike mischief makers now that's what a navy is for they dont need submarines its motor bikes they need to infiltrate the kids racing clubs at school, they would not do that at 50meters deep and all these bad children would just run riot racing each other in the middle of the night knowing the local law enforcement people are all at sea.