Is It Wise To Move To Thailand Now ?

Hello everyone,

For the last year or so I have been planning to move to Thailand. Now I finally am ready to go, I am now retired and would like to live with my wife in Thailand.

And then this military coup takes place, and now I wonder if I should go on and move myself and all my belongings to Thailand, or,.... should I wait and see what will happen in near future ?

Will things change for foreigners in Thailand in the future, I ask myself ?

I am not in Thailand now, so it is not easy to know what is going on there, so, a bit of advice from you people living there now would be appreciated !

What is your opinion about the future for foreigners in Thailand, will it be business as usual, or .. ?

North :o

I have been here just about 20 years i.e. I was here for the coup in 1991 (and that was very different to this one!!).

To cut a long story very short - its business as usual - nothing has changed for the man in the street and quite frankly, I cant see see anything changong. The impact on foreigners - both tourists and those living here long term - nothing, you wouldnt have known about it except for the fact that it was reported in the media.

Pack your bags and come on over - great place to live.

Tim

North, If the only reason that you are now contemplating not coming to Thailand is because of the recent Coup you would be making a big mistake. Come on over!! Everything is the same as it was for a retiree before the Coup.

Sure, things may change, but so what. Don't change your plans. Everything else that you know about Thailand is still the same. Just remember don't fall into the usual "gullible farang" traps (by doing things like buying property unless it's of the condo type which is legal). Keep your real money in your homeland and invest it well to get a good return on it and enjoy spending the interest here. I promise you won't regret it. Enjoy your retirement. I've been retired since 1987... just wish I'd discovered Thailand earlier.

Be happy and take the plunge.

Cheers Rick