October School Holidays

WhamBam

Again, I can't comment specifically on Chonburi. Ask the school, they must know by now.

In general, Chulalongkon Day is on a Friday this year, so that makes a logical start date. Then a one week holiday, with return to class on Mon., Nov.2.

Sadly, I cannot ask the actual school - name unknown.

I'll maybe have to wait until I can get through and sort what I need to sort.

apologies for being cryptic smile.png

Some schools don't have a midterm break. Our school will be closed from the 9th to the end of October, nobody really knows when.

Would be great to come back on the 2nd of November. Will make a merit now.

Thanks for the input Lostin. smile.png

I hope one day you find a map or even a SatNav to guide you from the outback biggrin.png

October 19th or October 26th is the first school day for term two, depending on the school's Director. Most finished final exams last week(yesterday) and of course have the right to re-test this coming week after grades announced. As a farang teacher, you are better off giving high marks than returning for "re-tests". The Thai teachers will be required and expected to be at school anyhow so don't mind the "re-tests" etc..

October 19th or October 26th is the first school day for term two, depending on the school's Director. Most finished final exams last week(yesterday) and of course have the right to re-test this coming week after grades announced. As a farang teacher, you are better off giving high marks than returning for "re-tests". The Thai teachers will be required and expected to be at school anyhow so don't mind the "re-tests" etc..

So what you are essentially saying is that you should forge the numbers so you don't have to do re-tests. Lazy comes to mind when i read that. I believe it's people like you that contribute to the arrogance of students who pass a subject when In fact they should have failed giving them the false sense of accomplishment. If they don't deserve to pass based on the different parameters in the marking: ie: behaviour, workbook, test scores than they deserve nothing less than having to re-test. But your enjoy your lazy way if teaching. I'm sure it allows you more time to sleep at your desk.

I will only get a week off up north in Thailand at a vocational college. To be honest Idiablo, do not be too harsh on BruceMangosteen. I just tested my students, marked all the tests plus added up all the extra scores from class work plus mini tests and the Thai teacher was not happy. She asked my to change the scores and I said "no". She did it anyway. We will never change the system as foreigners unless the Thai's wish to change it themselves. That is across the board regardless of what part of the system you look at. The only thing I can do as a teacher is tell the students that do well is to keep doing it and try to go abroad if they can to study at university level, as Thailand's university degrees are the most respected in the world.

So what you are essentially saying is that you should forge the numbers so you don't have to do re-tests. Lazy comes to mind when i read that. I believe it's people like you that contribute to the arrogance of students who pass a subject when In fact they should have failed giving them the false sense of accomplishment. If they don't deserve to pass based on the different parameters in the marking: ie: behaviour, workbook, test scores than they deserve nothing less than having to re-test. But your enjoy your lazy way if teaching. I'm sure it allows you more time to sleep at your desk.

Lazy may come to your mind, but reality should. Students don't study or prepare for "re-tests", they are for show only, to exert power over them even at the M.6 level. I've seen a Thai M.6 teacher hit a student with a stick on the last day of school. Said student was never coming back to this school or ever going to meet this teacher outside(as far as I know). A teacher who insists on "re-tests" as I say has to be at school anyhow so figures they need to punish the students who fail(or want to improve their marks). It's a clear as a sunny day, sorry you haven't figured it out yet. As far as me being lazy, I went years without missing a single class, being prepared for each and every one, and not even getting upset when some event wasn't announced and I sat there alone. So you can take your "lazy" remark and put it some other place.

You obviously don't have much experience teaching in Thailand, it has nothing to do with a teacher being lazy or not to retest. The point is that the student will pass, whether you have to retest 20 times. I have been teaching in Thailand for over 10 years now, I remember my first school I taught at and my first experience with the Thai education system; I gave the final exam to my M4 students and submitted their score, the head of my department said that I could not fail a student, I advised that I did not fail the student, the student failed by himself. The test result was 5/60, I retested the student, the result 3/60, same test, so I submitted this. I was told to retest until the student passes, I said the student is not going to pass, I was told to make the student pass, so was told indirectly to "forge" the numbers. And that is just the way it is, have you ever heard of a Thai student, not matter how stupid repeating an academic year? No. Have you ever heard of any legal action being taken against a teacher for changing / forging the numbers no, why? because it is expected

Lazy may come to your mind, but reality should. Students don't study or prepare for "re-tests", they are for show only, to exert power over them even at the M.6 level. I've seen a Thai M.6 teacher hit a student with a stick on the last day of school. Said student was never coming back to this school or ever going to meet this teacher outside(as far as I know). A teacher who insists on "re-tests" as I say has to be at school anyhow so figures they need to punish the students who fail(or want to improve their marks). It's a clear as a sunny day, sorry you haven't figured it out yet. As far as me being lazy, I went years without missing a single class, being prepared for each and every one, and not even getting upset when some event wasn't announced and I sat there alone. So you can take your "lazy" remark and put it some other place.

So they don't study for a re-test, big deal, but at the very least they are forced to come back to school when they should be enjoying their holiday, punishment enough. A student that gets a 48/100, sure i can see a teacher being kind enough to allow a pass, but not the same for someone who gets a 38/100.And by having them come back for a re-test you are at the very least showing the parents that their child is not the genius that they think they are or that you are making them out to be.

"I went years without missing a single class, being prepared for each and every one, and not even getting upset when some event wasn't announced and I sat there alone."

Just because you attend something everyday or don't get upset when something isn't announced doesn't mean you're not lazy.

Seems to me your there for one reason and one reason only. Money...

You obviously don't have much experience teaching in Thailand, it has nothing to do with a teacher being lazy or not to retest. The point is that the student will pass, whether you have to retest 20 times. I have been teaching in Thailand for over 10 years now, I remember my first school I taught at and my first experience with the Thai education system; I gave the final exam to my M4 students and submitted their score, the head of my department said that I could not fail a student, I advised that I did not fail the student, the student failed by himself. The test result was 5/60, I retested the student, the result 3/60, same test, so I submitted this. I was told to retest until the student passes, I said the student is not going to pass, I was told to make the student pass, so was told indirectly to "forge" the numbers. And that is just the way it is, have you ever heard of a Thai student, not matter how stupid repeating an academic year? No. Have you ever heard of any legal action being taken against a teacher for changing / forging the numbers no, why? because it is expected

I once suggested at a well known private English program school that if my son failed the tests he should do the year over, same as in the west.

It looked as if a few members from the board got an instant hart attack at that point.

Heh well when their children get that magical 50% grade over n over again, I'm sure the parents have put the pieces together. If not, meh. What can you do?

As for punishment sitting the kids for the exam, hell no that's punishment for me too. Because guess what? Some schools will tell you to sit with the kid and give him answers. There's a million other things I'd rather do. Pass on, young brother!

You fail to miss the point. Yes the school passes the child no matter how poor their score is that I agree with 100%. I always tell my students that even though the school may have passed them based on Thailand's no fail policy that in reality they have failed my class and from that conversation alone I have found that most, not all, students that failed try and succeed in doing better the 2nd semester.

Just the other day I had a grade 11 student come up to me and ask if i could give him some extra work to help him improve his score next term. He is showing initiative. It's a start.

And yes their are dumb Thai students,plenty of them, their are also dumb Americans, Europeans, Japanese and so on and so forth but it's our job to try and make them want to learn and improve and not just go through the motions just because that's the way the system works.

Archived