Cyclists take to the streets en masse for Car-Free Day

webfact

Cyclists take to the streets en masse for Car-Free Day
Chutima Inkam
The Nation

30269187-03_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- MANY parts of Thailand observed the Car-Free Day yesterday, with cyclists making their presence felt in Bangkok, Songkhla, Rayong and other parts of the country.

In the capital, a cycling event organised by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and partners attracted more than 30,000 participants.

"We hope people will cut down on the use of private cars. We wish to encourage Bangkok residents to consider other means of transport," Bangkok Governor MR Subhumbhand Paribatra said at the launch of Bangkok Car-Free Day 2015.

During the event, more than 30,000 people cycled an eight-kilometre stretch from the starting point at Sanam Luang.

Some of the participants said they had joined this annual event in Bangkok many times before.

"I have also cycled to my office," one participant said.

Some other cyclists, however, said they probably could not use their bicycles as their primary means of transport in daily life.

"I think cycling is good for health and the environment. But it's not practical on weekdays," one of the participants said.

In Songkhla, the Nation Multimedia Group (NMG) yesterday co-organised two big cycling events: Nation Bike Thailand 2015 - Songkhla Car-Free Day and "Hat Yai Car Free Day: Admire the City, Visit Temples and Explore Nature".

The first event was held in collaboration with Songkhla Provincial Administrative Organ-isation, and the other with the Hat Yai City Municipality.

More than 1,200 people registered to participate in the "Nation Bike Thailand 2015 - Songkhla Car-Free Day" event, which required participants to ride a 38-kilometre stretch, much of which was televised.

The "Hat Yai Car-Free Day" began at the Central Festival shopping complex and took cyclists along a 32-kilometre stretch.

Car-Free Day aims to be kinder to the planet by encouraging people to be less dependent on cars and to try alternative modes of transports.

Informal car-free days took place throughout the 1990s and the first official, global Car-Free Day was launched in 2000.

Many big cities around the world, from Bogota to Jakarta, closed their central roads to vehicles and left them free for walking and cycling.

Smaller car-free events also take place around the world.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Cyclists-take-to-the-streets-en-masse-for-Car-Free-30269187.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-21

And now they all sit in their cars driving to office.

In our moobaan those cyclists drive me crazy, they drive very fast at night, without a light and think they own the roads.

Good thing is that i didn't see any soidogs lately, guess those guys had them removed. Also i guess they will start pushing BKK traffic to be more respectfull to 2-wheelers which is also great.

If they want to encourage cycling, they need to start by building cycling lanes, and that would be very difficult in the over-crowded Bangkok streets.

Also the hot humid and rainy weather is a big obstacle.

But let's try to be optimistic, perhaps someday in our lifetime people would cycle to work in Bangkok :)

If they want to encourage cycling, they need to start by building cycling lanes, and that would be very difficult in the over-crowded Bangkok streets.

But let's try to be optimistic, perhaps someday in our lifetime people would cycle to work in Bangkok smile.png

Shower at the office and office clothes in your ruck.

I do it almost every day.

But the nasty nasty spoiled brats of influential personalities with their xxxxpensive cars are the most dangerous species against cyclists, if you know what I mean...

Not if they are stuck in traffic - which they usually are during rush hour. I know because I rode my bicycle from Wongwienyai to Asoke everyday for 3 years.

But let's try to be optimistic, perhaps someday in our lifetime people would cycle to work in Bangkok smile.png

Probably not and hopefully not in my lifetime. I have enough trouble already from the motorized vehicles so I don't need additional vehicles in my face and my all-o'clocks.

I finally figured out the mindset many of the (primarily) Thai cyclists. They think of themselves as pedestrians when on a bicycle and don't consider themselves to be on a vehicle. This is why they eschew helmets, lights, mirrors eye and other protection. A lot of them ride in an oblivious state unmindful of approaching motor vehicle traffic as if they were pedestrians strolling along a sidewalk.

Or is this simply another manifestation of "Thainess"?

But the nasty nasty spoiled brats of influential personalities with their xxxxpensive cars are the most dangerous species against cyclists, if you know what I mean...

Not if they are stuck in traffic - which they usually are during rush hour. I know because I rode my bicycle from Wongwienyai to Asoke everyday for 3 years.

BUT, if a those nasty nasty ruthless drivers, lose their patience in traffic, they're just gonna run the bikers over without regards to human life, and IF they have influential famalies, will pay a 500 Baht compensation, knowing they will never hit the jail....

I see we are a couple of the relatively few serious cyclists in Bangkok. With the exception of the heat, pollution and increased travel time, I welcome gridlock because that condition is relatively safe as compared to lighter traffic conditions and the resulting higher-speed vehicles which increases the risk to cyclists.

I've had the handlebars on many of my bikes chopped back to 20 inches so that I can more easily lane-split with gridlocked vehicles and am more acceptable on crowded sidewalks. I often go places and to things that even motorbikes cannot.

Wongwian Yai to Asoke every day for three years is quite an accomplishment, perhaps simply surviving it so, I salute you, Sir (or Madam).

Edited by MaxYakov

Shower at the office and office clothes in your ruck.

I do it almost every day.

Me too, but we're lucky to have showers at the office. I am also lucky to have my filter.

post-193141-0-20753000-1442806201_thumb.

post-193141-0-36414800-1442806202_thumb.

Yup i agree, those are the ones who refuse to use their indicators.

But have you seen their bikes? That's the new toy to show your wealth....And of course you need a tour de france outfit by that...oh an don't forget to make selfish for fayboo.

Edited by Thian

BUT, if a those nasty nasty ruthless drivers, lose their patience in traffic, they're just gonna run the bikers over without regards to human life, and IF they have influential famalies, will pay a 500 Baht compensation, knowing they will never hit the jail....

It is not possible to run me over because they lorries (Trucks to those Yanks), BMWs, Volvos, Toyotas and Nissans are all stuck in bumper to bumper jams. I just weave between these vehicles and leave them all behind. It is sooo exhilarating overtaking those luxury cars and their fuming occupants stuck in traffic of their own making.

I see we are a couple of the relatively few serious cyclists in Bangkok. With the exception of the heat, pollution and increased travel time, I welcome gridlock because that condition is relatively safe as compared to lighter traffic conditions and the resulting higher-speed vehicles which increases the risk to cyclists.

I've had the handlebars on many of my bikes chopped back to 20 inches so that I can more easily lane-split with gridlocked vehicles and am more acceptable on crowded sidewalks. I often go places and to things that even motorbikes cannot.

Wongwian Yai to Asoke every day for three years is quite an accomplishment, perhaps simply surviving it so, I salute you, Sir (or Madam).

What most people do not realize is that cycling made my life in Bangkok almost tolerable. The quality of life just shot up immediately after dumping my car for a bicycle. My commute time was slashed from 1 hour and 10 mintues to 25 minutes, meaning I can leave later and arrive home much earlier. It also saved me a lot on fuel expenses. What was most rewarding was the freedom of movement. I just could not get myself to drive a car again after the liberating experience of cycling as a form of commuting.

Most of these Sunday cyclists are nothing more than that.

What most people do not realize is that cycling made my life in Bangkok almost tolerable. The quality of life just shot up immediately after dumping my car for a bicycle. My commute time was slashed from 1 hour and 10 mintues to 25 minutes, meaning I can leave later and arrive home much earlier. It also saved me a lot on fuel expenses. What was most rewarding was the freedom of movement. I just could not get myself to drive a car again after the liberating experience of cycling as a form of commuting.

Most of these Sunday cyclists are nothing more than that.

Also now you don't have to drive the car to the gym anymore and probably loose weight so you can eat more burgers.

I also refuse to drive a car in BKK, not only the traffic jam but also the parking takes much time. And washing the car.

Over 30,000 cyclists join Bangkok Car Free Day 2015

140-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Car Free Day 2015 yesterday was a success with over 30,000 bicyclists taking part in the cycling event at Sanam Luang.

The event aimed at encouraging the people in Bangkok to use public transports and bicycles to reduce the number of personal car use and to make Bangkok a liveable city was presided over by Bangkok governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra.

The BMA held car free day event annually in cooperation with 70 networking organisations, to change behaviours of Bangkok people from using personal cars to public transports which can nowadays link with railway and water routes.

The promotion of alternative transports was aimed at creating sustainable ways of communication in the capital city of Thailand.

Yesterday’s Bangkok Car Free Day attracted over 30,000 cyclists to pedal along the 8-kilometre long distance around Rattanakosin Island from Wat Phra That, passing through Bangkok National Museum, Phra Athit Road, Ratchadamnoen Klang Road, Democracy Monument roundabout, Tanao Road, Bamrung Muang Road, Sanam Chai Road, the Grand Royal Palace, the Temple of the Emerald Buddha and concluding the journey at Sanam Luang.

Along the cycling route from the Grand Palace to Wat Phra That, several free-of-charge activities were also held.

They included physical check-ups, occupational training, distribution of tree saplings around Rattanakosin Island, extreme biking show and mini concerts by famous singers.

Booths selling a wide range of products for visitors along the roads were also erected to attract participation

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/over-30000-cyclists-join-bangkok-car-free-day-2015

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-21

Does having smaller handlebars make it acceptable to ride a push bike on a crowded pavement?

Does having smaller handlebars make it acceptable to ride a push bike on a crowded pavement?

Are you referring to footpaths/sidewalks? If you are, I'm very cautious with pedestrians and with me they have the right-of-way wherever they are. The narrower profile of the bike is more amenable whether I'm riding it or walking it in all circumstances. Walking a bicycle is an acceptable/valid option and I exercise it often.

When both of my feet are on the pedals, I consider myself to be operating a vehicle, unlike, I suspect, many cyclists in Thailand. That means that at a minimum, I'm helmeted, with eye protection and air filtration and there is at least one mirror, a bell and both front and rear lights on the bike.

I avoid riding or walking my bike on crowded footpaths/sidewalks even though it is misguidedly (apparently) encouraged by the BMA (explicitly in some areas - implicitly everywhere, AFAIC). This is because it increases my travel time, poses a risk to me and others and aggravates the pedestrians (even when walking the bike). If I assess the risk to me to be lower on the footpath/sidewalk than on the street I do will not hesitate to abandon the street immediately for the footpath/sidewalk even if it means stopping and pulling the bike up over the curb.

One has to use common sense or become a statistic. I employ risk-assessment both in route planning and in real-time, of course, when I'm transiting. I even employ it when securing/protecting the bike when parked. This has worked well for me in general, but, then again there was that bus that morning a few weeks ago ... but that's another story.

EoR (Or more than most of you ever needed to know) biggrin.png

Edited by MaxYakov

Jag makes it sound like bicycle commuters prefer to use the sidewalk as the main choice of surface to travel on. It you have walked along the road - with all of those trees, electric posts, defunct phone booths, bollards, and other forms of obstructions, you will conclude that your sacred sidewalk is not at all an attractive place to cycle on. Smaller handlebars is not the main issue here. Cycling as an alternative to using your car is.

You don't push bikes. You pedal them.

Ask motorcyclists not to use pavements.

List of Car-free Cities/Zones - Wiki

The BMA will submit a plan to make central Bangkok car-free next April 1st.

An auspicious date!

NB: I'm certainly not antibike, indeed I go for a bimble in the countryside around my village, on my cheap and cheerful Big C special (6 gears and what appears to be a totally random gear selector made of cheese) most weekends. I admire those of you who ride in Bangkok, although I think you're mad to do it!

Oh, and "push bike" is a perfectly good English term for a bicycle!