electric bill

gennisis

I moved to my new condo address in April and for the 1st 3 months my electric bill seemed ok when compared with my usage in my old house.

In both cases I am on the government tariff.

Last month the bill was down to 650 baht...the temperatures were down and air con usage was only in the bedroom for an hour...so I welcomed the lower bill

This months bill was 165 baht.!!

As far as I can see the temps were similar and I was expecting a similar bill to last months...but not only 165 baht.

I cook all my own meals using hotplates and a halogen oven. I have 2 large refrigerators,a large TV and floor fans which I keep on 24 hours a day

So.. To me the meter is not correct.

I checked it myself and the reading seemed ok.

So,to prevent the shock of a very large bill in the future I think of having the meter checked by the electric company.

Good ideal or not ?

It's been my experience trying to do the right thing in Thailand just sets you up for being an easy target.

A few years ago I went back to Canada so let the electric company know and paid money on my bill in advance. I returned late on a friday from Canada my electric meter had been taken and my house was in darkness. I could do nothing till monday morning.I stayed in a hotel for the weekend. Monday afternoon they came and installed another meter and charged me for it. So much for doing the right thing. Oh I forgot they also charged me a fee before I left for Canada. Not sure what the fee was for.

That would depend on how honest you are. Are you worried about not paying for something that you have used, or having to pay for something that you thought you'd gotten away with?

I dont look upon it as a matter of honesty but when if...the fault comes to their attention,I would be landed with a big bill in the future.

I guess they would not thank me for drawing it to their attention !!!

And since this is Thailand ...the mind boggles as to their reaction.

If the meter was over recording ,thats probably more what they are used to.

The city has a fellow who comes out and checks the meters for the power company. He is independent of the power company. I had him out once and my meter was fine. I had complained to management and they arranged it for me. While he was here they had all 20 meters checked.

Electric meters never read high to mame them read high the mechanical gearing would need to be changed.

If the meter seals are intact, with the proper Identification logo they should be OK.

But, yes they can read low, usually from rough handling, the disk rotates on Ruby bearings.

Increased friction at the bearing points slow the disk down, it is connected with a gear to the register (number read out).

I have never come across a Watt Hour meter that read high (fast) unless it hsa been tampered with.

Electric meters never read high to mame them read high the mechanical gearing would need to be changed.

If the meter seals are intact, with the proper Identification logo they should be OK.

But, yes they can read low, usually from rough handling, the disk rotates on Ruby bearings.

Increased friction at the bearing points slow the disk down, it is connected with a gear to the register (number read out).

I have never come across a Watt Hour meter that read high (fast) unless it hsa been tampered with.

"I have never come across a Watt Hour meter that read high (fast) unless it hsa been tampered with."

Unlike many taxi meters I have experienced.... gigglem.gif

Check your bill to see if the 165 baht was the product of an actual reading or some kind of an"estimate," in the event the meter reader did not make it around this month.

In any event, let sleeping dogs lie. If you don't spend your savings, you'll have the money to pay the giant bill if it comes it. Why go asking for trouble?

Since the bills now give history for the past 6 months, it would be pretty easy to reconcile. The may even have software that will red flag your bill, and they will come check your meter, and change it out. I doubt they would seek an adjustment unless it was tampered with. I was once selected for a new water meter, due to relatively low usage because I was living alone. I also went four years without getting a bill for trash service in Arizona @26.95 per moth....I was starting to get worried that it would pile up (the bill; not the garbage). Sold the house, all is well.

Early this year we had exactly the same problem. Our bill was only about a third of a normal one. Afterwards I checked our meter daily and the numbers were not moving. It had clearly jammed. In our village, south of CM we have a guy who comes t the house and we pay the bill through him. He noticed it was very low, but said do nothing now, wait until you get next months bill. If it is still low or even zero then the man who issues the bill (a different person) will write on it telling you to report to the local office.

During that month I noticed the meter had freed it's self, the numbers had moved on. So when we received our next bill, it was only slightly down on a normal amount.

The last four months or so have been fine, normal readings. So basically we just ended up with one very cheap month.

So I would say check your meter daily to see if the numbers are moving, and then see what next month bill says.

That would depend on how honest you are. Are you worried about not paying for something that you have used, or having to pay for something that you thought you'd gotten away with?

At one point my electric bill went down a significant amount, from around 1000 to 500 baht.

I later found out that the meter was bad. PEA knew and began charging me a large reduction. After a few months (4-5 months), they replaced the meter and the price went back up,

I definitely would not worry about it.

How will they get rough handling hanging on a pole usually head high or more.

I'd pay the bill as usual and make a copy of it. Also, take a picture of the meter reading (if possible) during the billing cycle-if the meter is faulty, you could have bills in the future that aren't in your favor.

You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Early this year we had exactly the same problem. Our bill was only about a third of a normal one. Afterwards I checked our meter daily and the numbers were not moving. It had clearly jammed. In our village, south of CM we have a guy who comes t the house and we pay the bill through him. He noticed it was very low, but said do nothing now, wait until you get next months bill. If it is still low or even zero then the man who issues the bill (a different person) will write on it telling you to report to the local office.

During that month I noticed the meter had freed it's self, the numbers had moved on. So when we received our next bill, it was only slightly down on a normal amount.

The last four months or so have been fine, normal readings. So basically we just ended up with one very cheap month.

So I would say check your meter daily to see if the numbers are moving, and then see what next month bill says.

I wish my meter would get stuck for a couple of months.