Extension of Stay

I have a current extension of stay based on Education. It expires late January but I am no longer attending school. I Original applied for my Visa and received an extension of stay 2 years ago due to marriage. 2 months ago I stopped attending my school and moved back to my wife's home town. I recently learned that when I stopped attending the school my extension should and might be cancelled. Prior to this knowledge I changed my residence and did my 90 day report. I can only assume that because I wasn't arrested and deported that my current extension has not been cancelled, My wife lives with a friend and due to many circumstances does not wish to immediately move in with me. We have a lovely daughter who also lives with my wife. I believe that I should immediately apply for a new extension of stay. Since my wife and daughter do not live with me what is my best option? Another Education extension is not currently an option. No schools here that qualify and I would really like one that I would attend and not fake my way through it. I want to stay near my wife and daughter in an attempt to rekindle our relationships. If I was to do another extension based on marriage or Child does our not living together pose a problem? I remember the Immigration officials coming to our home and speaking to the matriarch. My wife has cut-ties with this lady so we can not claim (falsely) to live there. Thank you for your assistance.

Ed

As you are living apart from your wife/daughter the options seem to be limited.

I do not believe that you will be able to secure an extension.

Maybe tourist visas would assist ------you could stay for almost 6 months with a double entry TV making just one border crossing.

Have you set any timescale during which a resolution , hopefully, will be achieved.

Marriage, they ask personal questions, so it's out of the way, but as a father of a Thai national, separated or not, you have the right stay in this country to see your daughter.

It's called Non O extension based on child, I think you need to leave the country every 3 months.

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

We could possibly move in together in November. Is this really needed? If it is and can be done wouldn't the short time living together pose a problem? Would we both need to sign the lease? Furthermore, who if anyone would immigration speak to? My wife is in the aforementioned matriarch's house-book and so is my daughter.

Marriage, they ask personal questions, so it's out of the way, but as a father of a Thai national, separated or not, you have the right stay in this country to see your daughter

I certainly hope this is true. I do not think my wife registered our separation. Is there a way I can find out? In regards to the Child extension requirements, can someone point me in the right direction to where I can read the law myself?

Yes,

Me and my wife have a good relationship. She would have no problem helping me and providing the needed documents for either marriage or Child extension.

My advice would to be careful.
For an extension based on marriage your wife would have to attend immigration with you and she would be interviewed by an immigration officer.
You will also need photographs of you both in and around the marital home.
Then almost certainly immigration will want to visit the marital home and may wish to talk to neighbors about the nature of the relationship.
To obtain an extension based on the child would require that the child lived with and was cared for by you.

We could possibly move in together in November. Is this really needed? If it is and can be done wouldn't the short time living together pose a problem? Would we both need to sign the lease? Furthermore, who if anyone would immigration speak to? My wife is in the aforementioned matriarch's house-book and so is my daughter.

I read some very personal questions asked by immigration regarding marriage extension.

OOPS sorry to apply for child extension, you need to be single or divorced.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738622-non-o-extension-based-on-child/

Edited by Kitsune

Sorry to add a complication, but you possibly will have to leave Thailand and re-apply for a new non imm O visa.

A rule was put in place last year prohibiting extensions of ED visas past one year. They also shut down conversions of ED visas into O visas.

Not 100% sure this will apply as it seems the original visa was an O visa, but with the current climate I'd check into that.

Edited by Furryman

You will not be able to get an extension based upon marriage using using your current ED extension. One problem you would have is that you would not likely be able to get a letter from the school stating your studies ended on the date you apply for it. Even getting a 60 day extension to visit your wife or child would probably not be possible.

It seems for the time being it would be best to go to Savannakhet Laos to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. Then when you get things sorted out you could apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, Signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card. They do not ask for financial proof to get the visa.

• Like 1

Marriage, they ask personal questions, so it's out of the way, but as a father of a Thai national, separated or not, you have the right stay in this country to see your daughter

I certainly hope this is true. I do not think my wife registered our separation. Is there a way I can find out? In regards to the Child extension requirements, can someone point me in the right direction to where I can read the law myself?

Since you are still legally married you will not be able to get an extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You would need to get divorced and obtain custody of your child.

My current extension is good until Late Jan of 2016.

I was originally planning to return to school, but decided to stay with my wife and daughter pausing my studies.

On a another side-note...

I have read ThaiVIsa for many years... I can say, with certainty, that without you guys and gals, many lives would have been much more strenuous and possibly ruined, God bless you all.

God bless the trolls also... the world is in balance. Good will always need evil. gigglem.gif

Ed

My Non-O visa was originally extended 1 year for marriage.

I then extended the NON-O for education. It is not an Ed-VISA

The extension ends in January 2016.

I intended to go back to the University but have since decided to stay with my wife.

An really I could attend next year before the current extension expires.

What is stopping me from cancelling this extension and extending due to marriage.

The main problem I see is the 4 month lapse in time from my university until now.

Worse case scenario? 20000 baht and deportation?

CONFUSED

In order to change to an extension based upon marriage you would need a letter from the university stating the date your studies ended. to have your current extension canceled It would have to be dated on or after the date date you do the change to marriage.

The cancellation of the extension you have now would have to cancelled where it was issued. To apply for the extension based upon marriage you would have to do it at the office for where you are living.

You do not have to have an ED visa or extension to attend school you can do it on an extension based upon marriage.