Universal remotes

AJBangkok

Remotes have been driving me crazy for the last couple of weeks. I started out just trying to get a remote to work with my Intel nuc running windiws 10 and Kodi. The only things I use the nuc for is to watch Kodi and watch ilikehd from the web browser. Ilikehd doesn't have a windiws app which would almost solve all my problems. Anyway back to remotes.

I have a harmony ultimate with hub. It works ok with Kodi but it goes to sleep after a few seconds idle so you have to swipe the screen to open it. Also some if the functions are on the screen which is hard to read in the dark so I'm fumbling with glasses when I just want to switch something. The remote itself diesnt feel good in your hands and does suffer some time lag as well.

I bought a Flirc off eBay which has a built in harmony remote Kodi profile which solved most of the problems and I was able to remap the menu key to send the context menu command so I don't need to use the screen any more when I'm in Kodi. It doesn't fix the not feling good in your hands and you still need to switch in the screen to turn on the nuc and TV.

I then went out and bought a inteset universal remote. It is much more easy to use than the harmony and has profile that works for WMC and Kodi. The only key it doesn't have is the context menu in Kodi which I really need. I have tried to remap a key using the learning function but for some reason it won't learn. I can't find a way to manually remap a single key. Otherwise the remote is great it feels better than the harmony and can control the TV, nuc and Kodi.

I am trying to avoid remapping keys in the windows registry if possible.

Does anyone know a good universal remote that can be used for Wmc and Kodi ( that the context menu works on) or how do you have your windows based htpc set up to use a remote rather than a keyboard. ( I do have a Logitech k400 wireless keyboard as a back up) I am just using windiws 1o and don't have Wmc as a front end.

Archived