Visa help

Hi,

Could I arrive in BKK as normal without a prearranged visa, apply then for a tourist visa & shift after that to an education visa to find an employer, and then work (maybe changing visa again)?

Or is there some less complicated way to do it, if I'm not eligible to retire in BKK, don't have a college degree etc.

It would be best to arrive with a tourist visa with a many entries allowed as you can get from the the embassy or consulate near you.

Unless you have a ticket out of the country within 30 day of arrival or a visa the airline can refuse to allow boarding of you flight.

Unless you want to seriously study Thai I don't suggest you go the ED visa route. You can go to school with a tourist visa, to learn some basic Thai.

If you have the money the Thai Elite program might be an option. See:http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

Thanks.

Would it be possible to arrive without a visa (30 days stay) then obtain one in the country for longer residence?

And what checks do the ministries need for a visa to be arranged - can I arrange them in the UK from at the Thai side?

you have already been answered by Ubon and oncearugge.... You can NOT buy any VISA inside the borders of Thailand.... You have to buy these outside OK???? So maybe follow the suggestions and advise and buy the VISA before you leave..

Glegolo

sorry I missed the word 'only'.

But can I obtain them whilst in a neighboring country rather than inside the UK?

I am talking here about an agency to provide the necessary background checks, you see.

This is the problem, as I'm unsafe here I will need to arrange whilst abroad.

Thanks.

Would it be possible to arrive without a visa (30 days stay) then obtain one in the country for longer residence?

And what checks do the ministries need for a visa to be arranged - can I arrange them in the UK from at the Thai side?

The only visa that can be obtained in the country is a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for an extension of stay.. That could be for working, retirement, attending a university, marriage to a Thai and etc.

You could arrange and pay for a PE visa under the Thai Elite program if you have at least 500k baht to spend. See: http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

You can apply for visas at the Thai embassy in London or one of the honorary consulates. Visa info can be found here on embassy website. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/4

• Like 1

Thanks, Ubonjoe.

Can I obtain a visa into Thailand from a country other than the UK, if I am a UK citizen?

I think this is a point of confusion; will I get background checks in the UK, from outside of the UK?

Edited by Semaxii

You can get visas at an embassy or consulate in a country other than the UK but it depends upon where you apply. Some only do them if you are a legal resident of the country where you apply.

The only visa that requires a back ground check is the OA long stay visa that you can only get if you are 50 or over. And possibly one for being a teacher.

Yes I was looking at the education visa.

Hence my original question; could I arrive without a visa, and then enrol for an education visa.

Can I change the tourist visa after 90 days, to an education visa? Because no border runs now, right?

This is what I'm worried about, there may be no more indefinite stays on the tourist visa.

Edited by Semaxii

You could enter and enroll in a school. But unless it is a university you will have to leave the country to get a non-ed visa with paperwork from the school.

Border runs have not been stopped. You can still leave to go out to get a visa or use a visa for a new entry. At most crossings you can still do a border hop for a new visa exempt entry.

You can still stay for a long time on tourist visas but not visa exempt entries.

• Like 1

If I came to Thailand, could some agency guide me through the whole visa run process?

As I understand you, I can obtain a tourist visa & stay/work indefinitely? Yes?

'You can still leave to go out to get a visa or use a visa for a new entry' - I want to be certain what you mean, here; will I have to keep obtaining new visas? Which will let me stay as a tourist?

If I came to Thailand, could some agency guide me through the whole visa run process?

'You can still leave to go out to get a visa or use a visa for a new entry' - I want to be certain what you mean, here; will I have to keep obtaining new visas? Which will let me stay as a tourist?

It would be illegal to work if in the country on a tourist visa.

Penalties for illegal working can be severe.

A visa will only permit a limited stay which in the case of a tourist visa is 60 days( the 60 days can be extended to 90) then you have to leave the country.

It would be illegal to work if in the country on a tourist visa.

Penalties for illegal working can be severe.

A visa will only permit a limited stay which in the case of a tourist visa is 60 days( the 60 days can be extended to 90) then you have to leave the country.

Yes, I know. But it doesn't apply to internet businesses in practice, were I to set one up.

Also I have skills few can do, particularly aquatics, but no qualification or sponsor to let me enter Thailand on a work visa. Whilst in Thailand I should be able to make a bit of money on the side, though, without fearing a crackdown.

And anyway, people are employed to work illegally in Thailand as language teachers and such, usually after getting an education qualification in the country. This is something I was looking into, just like many other westerners.

(Anyone with experiences pls DM me about the legal issues & workarounds.)

You can get a 3 entry tourist visa from the Thai embassy in London in person or post that will cost 75 pounds that would give you a total stay of almost 9 months. Info can be found here> http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/4

You would get a 60 days when you enter the country that can be extended at an immigration office for 30 days (1900 baht fee). Then you would need to leave the country and re-enter to use the 2nd entry and the extension again. The same to use the 3rd entry.

You cannot work on a tourist visa. You have to have a work permit and a non-b visa.

There a companies that offer visa runs to the embassy in Vientiane and to the borders to use an entry from the tourist visa.

• Like 1

There are a lot of people that can stay here for long period of time because they have savings, investments and etc that gives them enough money to live on.

You don't need to confirm your skills to an embassy. You need to prove them to an employer unless you start your own company. You have be working for a Thai registered company to get a work permit from the Labor Ministry.

OP you are posting in circles after having been given all the correct advice how to stay in thailand for an extended period. Esp ubonjoe suggestion of triple tourist visa. It does not matter how people are living here. Some already have made their money elsewhere. It seems your plan is work here legally or maybe illegally. That's your business. I would not do it. Also keep in mind, while it's cheaper to live here than UK, you still need money.

Get a tourist visa. Come with money. Look at your options once here and don't work illegally.

• Like 1

I'm just trying to think of ways to enter & support myself afterwards. smile.png

You're only real option to begin with is to get a tourist visa, come to Thailand and find work while you're here.

If you do find work you can then go to a neighbouring country to get the visa you need for a work permit.

• Like 1

I'm just trying to think of ways to enter & support myself afterwards. :)

The advice from Elviajero is exactly correct. The key word in your last post is AFTERWARDS. There will be some gap between arriving and obtaining legal work. You will need cash.

• Like 1