Ignore Pope on climate, says US Republican Marsha Blackburn

webfact

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuses excuses excuses to do nothing. Oh ye of little faith. lol

Research on Atomic Fuel Cell technology is the one I like.<snip>

Well, they'd better bring it to market pretty soon, as we don't have much time left, apparently:

• The Pope (remember him?) recently said that 2015 is the ‘last effective opportunity’ to stop catastrophic warming
  • United Nations Foundation President Tim Wirth has described Obama’s second term as “the last chance we have" to avoid ruination
  • Prince Charles said in 2009 that we only had 96 months to save the planet (23 left, and counting)
  • It was on May 13 last year that French foreign minister told John Kerry "“we have 500 days to avoid climate chaos.” (That expired 2 weeks ago).
  • NASA GISS head James Hansen warned in 2009 that Obama only “has four years to save Earth.” (Aaaaargh, doomed again.)
  • And finally, Rajendra Pachauri, the former head of the IPCC said in 2007 that if “there’s no action before 2012, that’s too late.” (OK, it's too late.)

And Bob Geldof says humanity will be extinct by 2030 because of global warming, so we need to get our skates on.

Methane Hydrate Slurry or Methane Clathrate Crystals. Basically, slushy frozen Methane under the Arctic and off Siberia. It is estimated at about 1,000 gigatons. Methane is 80 times the greenhouse gas effect of CO2. Once that starts bubbling up into the atmosphere I will be agreeing with tbl, absolutely nothing man can do it is all over. The Sixth Mass Extinction on Earth.

James Hansen from NASA probably the most accurate. Action in 2009 probably had the chance of decreasing CO2 levels and avoiding any real adverse impact of GW.

"James Hansen warned in 2009 that Obama only “has four years to save Earth.” Is NOT what he said!!!!!!

What he actually said was:

"We cannot now afford to put off change any longer. We have to get on a new path within this new administration. We have only four years left for Obama to set an example to the rest of the world. America must take the lead."

Full Article here

If you go through the other statements you will more than likely find them to be false too. I get bored correcting Climate Denier misinformation.

Wish you would 'fact check' your statements before you post and mislead people Rick

^^^

From The Guardian in 2009: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/jan/18/jim-hansen-obama

President 'has four years to save Earth'

Barack Obama has only four years to save the world. That is the stark assessment of Nasa scientist and leading climate expert Jim Hansen who last week warned only urgent action by the new president could halt the devastating climate change that now threatens Earth.

I didn't intend to give the impression that it was a direct quote from Hansen.

Any other quibbles?

Edited by RickBradford

^^^

From The Guardian in 2009: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/jan/18/jim-hansen-obama

Barack Obama has only four years to save the world. That is the stark assessment of Nasa scientist and leading climate expert Jim Hansen who last week warned only urgent action by the new president could halt the devastating climate change that now threatens Earth.

Any other quibbles?

How didn't you intend to make it a direct quote..? You put it in quotation marks and attributed it to Hansen, who actually said "We have to get on a new path within this new administration. We have only four years left for Obama to set an example to the rest of the world."

But you quoted him as saying that Obama has "four years to save the earth".

What part of attributing that quote to him was meant to give the impression that it wasn't actually a direct quote..?

^^^

Any other quibbles?

Yes you did:

NASA GISS head James Hansen warned in 2009 that Obama only “has four years to save Earth.” (Aaaaargh, doomed again.)

You took the secondary article headline and directly attributed it to James Hansen and for good measure added (Aaaaaargh, doomed again) GROSSLY misleading. All you had to do to 'fact check' was click the link to the original interview and read that James Hansen said no such thing.

My BS meter went mental when I saw your post even though it was from The Guardian which is pro GW / CC but knowing James Hansen I could not see him making such a flawed statement and it was pretty easy to discover he didn't.

If you want to codify and formalize the quoting procedure on the forums, take it up with the mods. And given some of your earlier posts, the less said about the mental state of your BS meter, the better.

As to the original subject of the Pope and climate change, do you have anything to say?

Nah, thought not.

Research on Atomic Fuel Cell technology is the one I like. A small cube the size of a Rubik's Cube powers your car for 12 months. No need to keep filling up with Arab Oil or filthy polluting Shale Oil. A cube the size of about four Rubik's Cubes powers your whole house for 12 months. Just plug in a new one every 12 months and your good to go. Have a few shares in the Company that makes that technology fly and you're on easy street for life.

If the governments of the world actually believed in reversible CC, they would have done something by now. They haven't, therefore I believe that they don't believe in reversible CC.

No need to bring in your atomic fuel cell, they already have proven hydrogen fuel cell technology- why haven't they brought that in?

They have done zero in the way of replacing fossil fuel use in a real way.

BTW, how many years before the atomic fuel cell is available to the general public, and how many years will it take to replace the entire fossil fuel technology in the entire world?

I think we'll all be dead in methane storms long before that happens, if the CC doomsters are right.

Research on Atomic Fuel Cell technology is the one I like. A small cube the size of a Rubik's Cube powers your car for 12 months. No need to keep filling up with Arab Oil or filthy polluting Shale Oil. A cube the size of about four Rubik's Cubes powers your whole house for 12 months. Just plug in a new one every 12 months and your good to go. Have a few shares in the Company that makes that technology fly and you're on easy street for life.

If the governments of the world actually believed in reversible CC, they would have done something by now. They haven't, therefore I believe that they don't believe in reversible CC.

No need to bring in your atomic fuel cell, they already have proven hydrogen fuel cell technology- why haven't they brought that in?

BTW, how many years before the atomic fuel cell is available to the general public, and how many years will it take to replace the entire fossil fuel technology in the entire world?

I think we'll all be dead in methane storms long before that happens, if the CC doomsters are right.

Ok, I think I understand you. Keep protesting and making sure nothing gets done in all ways possible, and then claim 'you have done nothing so you don't believe in it'.

Sure, makes sense.

If you want to codify and formalize the quoting procedure on the forums, take it up with the mods. And given some of your earlier posts, the less said about the mental state of your BS meter, the better.

As to the original subject of the Pope and climate change, do you have anything to say?

Nah, thought not.

Well I think if you are going to attribute a statement to a respected scientist like James Hansen you should ensure it is factual.

• The Pope (remember him?) recently said that 2015 is the ‘last effective opportunity’ to stop catastrophic warming

I think anyone with a basic understanding of the 'numbers' on GW would arrive at that conclusion.

Ok, I think I understand you. Keep protesting and making sure nothing gets done in all ways possible, and then claim 'you have done nothing so you don't believe in it'.

Sure, makes sense.

LOL. Apart from the reality that no one in government listens to me, I support hydrogen fuel cell technology and would like to see it introduced full scale.

So how am I making sure nothing gets done, exactly?

BTW it should be "I don't believe in it so I have done nothing", not the way you put it.

Nah, thought not.

Well I think if you are going to attribute a statement to a respected scientist like James Hansen you should ensure it is factual.

I think anyone with a basic understanding of the 'numbers' on GW would arrive at that conclusion.

Well obviously no government member anywhere understands the "numbers", as they have done zero to change anything practically.

^^^

And furthermore, zero is going to continue to be done.

The only chance this year for the alarmists would have been the COP21 climate conference in Paris next month, and we already know that nothing except hot air, painstakingly transcribed onto paper, will be produced there.

Obama has already publicly p**sed on it, and the climate "pledges" made by big countries are masterpieces in doing nothing while pretending to do something.

If, as the Pope says, 2015 is the "last effective opportunity" to stop catastrophic warming, then it's an opportunity which has not been taken.

On the other hand, as most of the world seems to believe, the Pope could be holding forth on subjects he is woefully uninformed about. Pontificating, even.

Sure, makes sense.

LOL. Apart from the reality that no one in government listens to me, I support hydrogen fuel cell technology and would like to see it introduced full scale.

BTW it should be "I don't believe in it so I have done nothing", not the way you put it.

It wasn't directed at you, just a general statement of too many people's attitude.

And since you don't do anything about GW, you don't support hydrogen fuel technology because of GW reasons but for other purposes. You mentioning it here, and yes, that is directed at you smile.png, paints a false picture.

Edited by stevenl

Sure, makes sense.

It wasn't directed at you, just a general statement of too many people's attitude.

And since you don't do anything about GW, you don't support hydrogen fuel technology because of GW reasons but for other purposes. You mentioning it here, and yes, that is directed at you smile.png, paints a false picture.

I'd like to see the Saudis broke because no one buys their oil, certainly, but even though I doubt anything can reverse G W ( if in fact it is man made ) it can only be a good thing to remove one of the main causes of pollution.

Actually, I'm in favour of nuclear, and to electrify the rail network. The next phase of nuclear reactors in Uk, is planned to start with Hinkley Point C, with generating capacity up to 3.2GW. It's the only real way I see of reducing road emissions and congestion levels, without dispersing this elsewhere. One power station like this could power the network.

In light of this information, it would seem anything coming out of the Antarctic scientists be treated with a grain of salt...drunken orgies notwithstanding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Antarctic scientists face breathalyser tests due to alcohol-fuelled fighting and 'indecent exposure'
By Jonathan Pearlman,
Sydney10:00AM BST 06 Oct 2015
Breathalysers could be used to curb alcohol abuse among scientists at US bases in Antarctica following “unpredictable behaviour” caused by excess drinking, including fights and indecent exposure.
Officials from the National Science Foundation told an audit of healthy and safety at the two US-run bases — McMurdo Station and the South Pole — that drinking has led to “unpredictable behaviour that has led to fights, indecent exposure, and employees arriving to work under the influence”, according to a report in Wired.
The agency is reportedly considering shipping several breathalysers to the isolated stations, which together house up to about 1,150 people, including scientists and support staff.

Yes, minor irrelevancies, when you consider that:

* India, already the world’s third largest CO2 emitter, is now planning to double its coal production by 2020.

* China, easily the world’s largest CO2 emitter, is planning to build 363 new coal-fired power stations, adding 50 per cent to the world’s coal-powered electricity.

* Japan is providing something it hilariously calls 'climate funding', which will finance the building of over 1000 coal-fired power plants in Asia.

And they are not going to stop because some self-aggrandising Western politicians want to "save the planet". Even if the whole EU shut down overnight, it would make no difference.

In political terms, the battle to "save the planet" has been lost already -- assuming, that is, that you think the planet needs saving.

Climate Denier Zombie Myths.

Currently China is actually the biggest mover on addressing GW / CC. A lot of the new coal fired power stations replaced old polluting coal fired power stations. As at 2014 power capacity utilisation is 54%. Although China has new power stations they are running at 50% capacity. They have spent trillions of dollars on new coal fired power stations but all are running at 50% capacity. During 2014 coal power generation fell by 2%. Major investment in Hydropower, Wind, Solar, Nuclear and Gas should see the use of Coal reduced by 40% running up to 2020. The China Government has banned the building of new coal fired power stations in 4 key manufacturing zones that account for 30% of coal generation. China for some years have been 'market testing' various forms of ETS platforms and have recently (26th Sept) announced a National ETS program starting in 2017. Some 5 regions are currently running ETS programs and the most successful economic and emissions reduction ETS program will be expanded nationwide.

So this old Zombie Myth that China is not doing anything so why should anyone else is just absolute bunkum. It is just a sad old line being repeated over and over again by the Climate Denier Lobby.

Also India comment is misleading. India has committed to reduce imports of coal and it is looking to increase it;s domestic supply of coal rather than importing it.

So as usual when you look at the facts the Climate Denier claims are fictitious and just intended to mislead. The battle to save the planet has just begun.

* India, already the world’s third largest CO2 emitter, is now planning to double its coal production by 2020.

* China, easily the world’s largest CO2 emitter, is planning to build 363 new coal-fired power stations, adding 50 per cent to the world’s coal-powered electricity.

* Japan is providing something it hilariously calls 'climate funding', which will finance the building of over 1000 coal-fired power plants in Asia.

And they are not going to stop because some self-aggrandising Western politicians want to "save the planet". Even if the whole EU shut down overnight, it would make no difference.

In political terms, the battle to "save the planet" has been lost already -- assuming, that is, that you think the planet needs saving.

Currently China is actually the biggest mover on addressing GW / CC. A lot of the new coal fired power stations replaced old polluting coal fired power stations. As at 2014 power capacity utilisation is 54%. Although China has new power stations they are running at 50% capacity. They have spent trillions of dollars on new coal fired power stations but all are running at 50% capacity. During 2014 coal power generation fell by 2%. Major investment in Hydropower, Wind, Solar, Nuclear and Gas should see the use of Coal reduced by 40% running up to 2020. The China Government has banned the building of new coal fired power stations in 4 key manufacturing zones that account for 30% of coal generation. China for some years have been 'market testing' various forms of ETS platforms and have recently (26th Sept) announced a National ETS program starting in 2017. Some 5 regions are currently running ETS programs and the most successful economic and emissions reduction ETS program will be expanded nationwide.

So this old Zombie Myth that China is not doing anything so why should anyone else is just absolute bunkum. It is just a sad old line being repeated over and over again by the Climate Denier Lobby.

Also India comment is misleading. India has committed to reduce imports of coal and it is looking to increase it;s domestic supply of coal rather than importing it.

So as usual when you look at the facts the Climate Denier claims are fictitious and just intended to mislead. The battle to save the planet has just begun.

India has committed to reduce imports of coal and it is looking to increase it's domestic supply of coal rather than importing it.

Are you claiming Indian coal is less polluting than imported coal? LOL.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

India has committed to reduce imports of coal and it is looking to increase it's domestic supply of coal rather than importing it.

Please tbl with Climate Denier Myths you have to really concentrate.

"India is looking to double its coal production" gives the impression it is going to begin burning double the amount of Coal so why should the rest of the world do anything about reducing their reliance on coal. India wants to increase its domestic production of Coal but at the same time eliminate the importation of coal from external countries.

Having said the above, I would think India's use of coal would actually increase in the short term. On the basis they are an emerging economy and power consumption far outstrips power generation. It does leave them behind the 'eight ball' a little when it comes to investing in renewable energies they desperately need cheap market power generation to meet demand and underpin economic growth and lift large sections of their people out of poverty. Each country faces different challenges transitioning to renewable energy. It all has to be carefully managed. China is a good example as the Government actually set up a number of trial ETS programs restricted to certain regions from there they choose the one that performs best and roll it out nationally.

Please tbl with Climate Denier Myths you have to really concentrate.

"India is looking to double its coal production" gives the impression it is going to begin burning double the amount of Coal so why should the rest of the world do anything about reducing their reliance on coal. India wants to increase its domestic production of Coal but at the same time eliminate the importation of coal from external countries.

Having said the above, I would think India's use of coal would actually increase in the short term. On the basis they are an emerging economy and power consumption far outstrips power generation. It does leave them behind the 'eight ball' a little when it comes to investing in renewable energies they desperately need cheap market power generation to meet demand and underpin economic growth and lift large sections of their people out of poverty. Each country faces different challenges transitioning to renewable energy. It all has to be carefully managed. China is a good example as the Government actually set up a number of trial ETS programs restricted to certain regions from there they choose the one that performs best and roll it out nationally.

On the basis they are an emerging economy and power consumption far outstrips power generation. It does leave them behind the 'eight ball' a little when it comes to investing in renewable energies they desperately need cheap market power generation to meet demand and underpin economic growth and lift large sections of their people out of poverty.

It's that sort of reasoning which means nothing meaningful will ever be done!

Perhaps India could do something about limiting it's population, then they wouldn't need to make as much electricity.

The world as we know it is doomed because people want to breed without restriction.

So please enlighten us deniers as to just how much of this evil pollutant CO2 is actually in the atmosphere as this figure is always missing whenever the Eco Loonies talk about it for some reason whistling.gif

Ask most of these lunatics how much and most will not have a clue. I have never fallen for this con and even I was way off the mark

So please enlighten us deniers as to just how much of this evil pollutant CO2 is actually in the atmosphere as this figure is always missing whenever the Eco Loonies talk about it for some reason whistling.gif

Ask most of these lunatics how much and most will not have a clue. I have never fallen for this con and even I was way off the mark

Currently as at August 2015 400.57ppm CO2 atmospheric concentration.

So this old Zombie Myth that China is not doing anything so why should anyone else is just absolute bunkum.

Since you made up this particular Zombie Myth, I can readily agree that it is absolute bunkum.

China is doing plenty; in fact China signed a "historic" agreement with the US only last year, which will form the basis of its "pledge" at the upcoming Greenblob Annual Ritual, aka COP21, in Paris next month.

For anyone who missed it, here are the numbers:

* China pledges to stop increasing overall CO2 emissions by 2030. Nobody has any idea how much emissions will increase in the intervening 15 years, except that it will be a substantial rise. The International Energy Agency reckons that China may miss the deadline by a few years, with peak emissions 50 percent higher than their current level, and that only if serious action is taken now.

* It agreed to reduce carbon emissions per unit of GDP by 40 to 45 percent from 2005 levels by 2020. A meaningless figure, but China should be ashamed of itself if it can't meet that target. A few more nuclear power stations and cleaner coal generation, and it's done. No biggie.

That's what it has signed up to; anything else it does will be to try and address a real problem -- the appalling pollution in its major urban areas.

Since the majority of the world's self-styled great and good suggest that we have 1,2, zero, or minus 2 years to save the planet, a China relentlessly increasing emissions for 15 more years is hard to bear.

Anyway, as that renowned climate expert Sir Bob Geldof has patiently explained, humanity will be extinct by 2030 anyway due to climate change, coinciding neatly with China's supposed peak emissions.

Edited by RickBradford

The Pope's views on abortion -- ridiculed as mediaeval and contrary to human rights.

The Pope's views on climate change -- venerated as gospel.

What a funny old world.

And the other half of the population see it exactly reverse....

Currently as at August 2015 400.57ppm CO2 atmospheric concentration.

So a gas that makes up around 4000th of 1% is going to destroy the world and all that lives on it ? Even if it was a whole 1% it is a ridiculously low figure that is why they never mention this figure unless they really have to because it is laughable.

If the temperature rising is so deadly then please tell us just what the ideal / optimum temp is then ?

Was it the temp the world was 20 years ago ? 30 years ago ?

Why is the temp rising a few degrees so deadly ? I moved to Thailand from a relatively cold climate and have lived quite happily in a country where the temp is considerably higher yet I haven't dropped down dead as yet

We keep getting told that nearly all scientist agrre with global warming yet it simply isn't true.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579578462813553136

An interesting article here and not exactly taken from a rag or comic either

The other excuse we hear is that those deniers are just tin foil hat wearing nut jobs yet here we have a distinguished Nobel Laureate telling it like it really is

30 minutes well worth watching

The trouble is today is that this has nothing to do with science as most people understand it and is now a sort of Quasi religion where those that disagree with it are labelled Heretics and deniers to simply shut down debate

I also love this one from Penn and Teller series BS where they get Eco loonies to sign a petition to ban water and even the organiser of the Green / Eco festival signs it. It just highlights that people will sign most things they know nothing about if told a load of BS about it

Enjoy biggrin.png

So a gas that makes up around 4000th of 1% is going to destroy the world and all that lives on it ? Even if it was a whole 1% it is a ridiculously low figure that is why they never mention this figure unless they really have to because it is laughable.

If the temperature rising is so deadly then please tell us just what the ideal / optimum temp is then ?

Was it the temp the world was 20 years ago ? 30 years ago ?

Why is the temp rising a few degrees so deadly ? I moved to Thailand from a relatively cold climate and have lived quite happily in a country where the temp is considerably higher yet I haven't dropped down dead as yet

We keep getting told that nearly all scientist agrre with global warming yet it simply isn't true.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579578462813553136

An interesting article here and not exactly taken from a rag or comic either

The other excuse we hear is that those deniers are just tin foil hat wearing nut jobs yet here we have a distinguished Nobel Laureate telling it like it really is

30 minutes well worth watching

The trouble is today is that this has nothing to do with science as most people understand it and is now a sort of Quasi religion where those that disagree with it are labelled Heretics and deniers to simply shut down debate

I also love this one from Penn and Teller series BS where they get Eco loonies to sign a petition to ban water and even the organiser of the Green / Eco festival signs it. It just highlights that people will sign most things they know nothing about if told a load of BS about it

Enjoy biggrin.png

".....So a gas that makes up around 4000th of 1% is going to destroy the world and all that lives on it ? Even if it was a whole 1% it is a ridiculously low figure that is why they never mention this figure unless they really have to because it is laughable...."

Correct concentration does not correlate to toxicity.

".....If the temperature rising is so deadly then please tell us just what the ideal / optimum temp is then ?...."

Optimum / ideal global temperature average would be 15OC. Over the past 1000 years global average temperatures have remained stable at around 15OC so for our current world and world going forward stability is the crucial factor.

".....Was it the temp the world was 20 years ago ? 30 years ago ?...."

1995 57.7OF

1985 57.3OF

"........Why is the temp rising a few degrees so deadly ? I moved to Thailand from a relatively cold climate and have lived quite happily in a country where the temp is considerably higher yet I haven't dropped down dead as yet......"

Climate varies around the world, why would you drop dead?

Opinion Editorial in the Murdoch's Wall Street Journal on GW / CC is like suggesting Murdoch's Fox News isn't far right wing clap trap.

"........We keep getting told that nearly all scientist agrre with global warming yet it simply isn't true....."

Studies show it is true time and time again.

Video: ".......30 minutes well worth watching...."

All Ivar has to do is provide his scientific research that backs up his opinion. Ivar trots this out every 5 years. If anyone wants to actually learn about the science on GW / CC probably best to stick with peer reviewed scientific research. Ivar cherry picks data and presents opinion not fact.

".......The trouble is today is that this has nothing to do with science as most people understand it and is now a sort of Quasi religion where those that disagree with it are labelled Heretics and deniers to simply shut down debate....."

GW / CC is based on peer reviewed scientific research. Religion is based on a belief. So two very different species. You just quoted an opinion editorial in the WSJ and a speech by a retired scientist who shut down their right to speech? What shuts them down is the scientific facts. Ivar is free to present his scientific research that underpins his opinion. Till he does that he is just pissing in the wind.

Who are 'eco loonies' and what research papers have they published on GW / CC?

Look, we should really be taking this climate change thing seriously. It affects global stability. Here's what the CIA has to say about it.

“The western world’s leading climatologists have confirmed recent reports of a detrimental climatic change. The stability of most nations is based on a dependable source of food, but this stability will not be possible under a new climatic era. Climate is now a critical factor. The politics of food will become the central issue of every government.

A forecast by the University of Wisconsin projects that the earth’s climate is returning to that of the neo-boreal era (1600-1850), an era of drought, famine and political unrest in the western world.”

The "neo-boreal era" is also known as the Little Ice Age, and the report from the CIA (written in 1974) was on the subject of dangerous global cooling. There was no doubt. The science was settled and the debate was over.

"The climate of the neo-boreal time period has arrived."

As so often, the self-proclaimed experts were nothing like as smart as they thought they were. ("Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." -- Lord Kelvin, President, Royal Society, 1895).