Silom To Suvarnabhumi Transport

newfarang

I will be flying tonight from Suvarnabhumi at 6.30 PM - I plan to be arriving at the airport at 5.45 PM for my flight.

Given that it is rush hour time and considering potential traffic glitches, I want to plan ahead.

I realize I have two options:

1. Take a taxi from Silom, reach the airport via Rama IV Road and the expressway 34.

2. Take a BTS until Phra Kanong station (~25 minutes incl. transfer at Siam) and then merge into the expressway there - avoiding all city traffic.

Which way do you reckon would be faster on a late afternoon rush hour ?

Thanks a lot.

newfarang

:o You are only leaving a 45 minute check in allowance? Sheer madness, particularly if it is airdelaysia you are going with. I have known them to leave once they think they have enough people (usually only about 10 minutes early) but still.................... :D

Hi Everyone.

I have decided to take a middle-way. I took the MRT up to Queen Sirikit Convention Center and then got a taxi right into the motorway entrance from there. The total way from Silom to airport was about an hour even in rush hour. - Not too bad compared to Don Muang so far.

Thanks a lot to everybody for their valuable input!

newfarang

:o You are only leaving a 45 minute check in allowance? Sheer madness, particularly if it is airdelaysia you are going with. I have known them to leave once they think they have enough people (usually only about 10 minutes early) but still.................... :D

Good advice. :D

Traffic on Rama 9 motoway leading to the airport was unusually heavy today. After 8PM it's always empty, but today all four lanes were full, average speed 80 km/h. It would add only a few minutes to overall time, but if it rains..., and in rush hour...