Don't fear Internet single gateway: Thai ICT minister

webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the fiber router in&out of my mooban wouldn't quirk every nth day rendering the whole 50Mb connection useless until the guys reset it guitar.gif

That must be annoying but at least you get great internet most of the time, that's a great speed for Thailand, most places can't get fiber.

They'll sell you 50 mb of fiber, but you won't get 50 mb of fiber. Thailand's internet does not have the infrastructure for it.

All the download tests for inland traffic are usually more than advertised with this FTTx, but to europe, it's ~1/3 or less of the promoted speeds. But the speed initself isn't all that matters - the latency aka ping - varies greatly, so latency intensive applications (like for example my personal cloud back in europe, syncing various directories to backup,) tend to err rather a lot - so I opted for lower latency than the actual "speed" itself, when comparing providers. Though I never thought that the fiber router housed at the nearest connect point would be obsolete piece of hardware, nor that nobody gives a crap until it breaks down completely ultimately. Oh well - at least I've my cell phone wifi tethering when it hits the fan.

Edited by jabis

I wish the fiber router in&out of my mooban wouldn't quirk every nth day rendering the whole 50Mb connection useless until the guys reset it guitar.gif

That must be annoying but at least you get great internet most of the time, that's a great speed for Thailand, most places can't get fiber.

They'll sell you 50 mb of fiber, but you won't get 50 mb of fiber. Thailand's internet does not have the infrastructure for it.

Bit of a yes and no to that. Domestically it does but Internationally no, but that is in part to the large latencies due to distance to international sites. My university test from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Usually my upload speeds are considerably faster than that.

post-566-0-27979800-1443257261_thumb.jpg

If tourists start avoiding Thailand due to the resultant lack of decent internet, this plan will be outta here like shit through a goose.

LOL I don't think tourist come here for the internet. LOL

They may not come for the Internet.

But if they cannot freely access what they need on a daily bases it will have an impact on tourist numbers.