What Does Caddie Hole Mean?

cardinalblue

It is my understanding that for a particular hole usually a par 3, the one closest to the hole on the green would generate a set agreed upon amount (20, 40 baht whatever) to the caddie of that golfer.

Does that winning golfer also gives that same amount as the other players to his caddie or just the other golfers pay his caddie?

Does anyone know what is the more common practice?

CB

common practice for a "caddie hole"?...Played golf for over 50 years (competively in High School and University) AND even caddied when I was younger.....BUT have to say ...NEVER heard of a "caddie hole".

Must be a Thai thing.whistling.gif

Anyway if you wish to tip the caddie by making a bet with the other players that the winnings going to the caddie....up to you! Why not just agree with the other players what the parameters of the bet isclap2.gif ....Personally I would think the furthest from the hole should pay! Doesn't sound like a hole I want to winblink.png

Usually it is money in the "pot" and all players contribute, the caddy of the player closest to the hole gets money.

And yes, players initially agree on the hole and the amount. Just adds a little fun and a bonus for the winning caddy.

My experience is that the caddies of the 4 playing share the near pin tip. I couldn't work out why there was no excitement from my caddy one day and she eventually explained that they don't care who wins as they share it.

Has happened several times since with our group and so we have stopped doing it.

• 4 weeks later...

We play all par 3s this way but optional for each player before we start. If i'm in a group of low HC players my chances of bettering all of their shots onto a green is small, so in these cases i seldom win any for my caddie.

Have never heard of sharing the pot, but it may be so. I'm not speaking Thai.

We go for 20 baht each per hole. If all miss the green on the tee shot, then next shot closest wins.

My experience is that the caddies of the 4 playing share the near pin tip. I couldn't work out why there was no excitement from my caddy one day and she eventually explained that they don't care who wins as they share it.

Has happened several times since with our group and so we have stopped doing it.

Of course that would make sense here wouldn't it,they aren't as daft as they look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Never heard of caddie hole. Some of my west coast friends played "greenies". First on the green, closest to the hole, first one in the hole. So usually somebody got a piece of something. Had to laugh the day when me, the worst of the group holed out my second shot from the fairway on the par 4 for an eagle 2. My other friend holed out his third shot from the bunker for a birdie 3. The best golfer in our group, and an Ace in college, had hit the green in regulation 2, and easily two putted for his par 4. Oh well.