Milk tea- buy tea and need the recipe

wolf3351

Hi all, I need to know the recipe for authentic Thai iced tea (aka milk tea). But I really need to know where to buy the tea in order to make it from scratch. I prefer to buy from markets rather than a supermarket, so please recommend where I can go and what exactly the tea is called so I can buy it.

I'm buying this as a gift for my mother back home who absolutely loves Thai iced tea, so I need the dried tea to bring to her, no liquid.

Thanks!

There are two common brands; Three Goats and Number One Brand. They both have red die no. 5. I have no clue about the seasonings. I tried to find out. It seems to be a secret.

I prefer the taste of Number One Brand. Both of the teas are made from the ordinary variety of tea plant. Most larger 'super markets' stock them. Cheap.

• 1 month later...

Number One Brand seems to be the... well, you know. Steep about 1 Tbs. of tea in a cup of hot water for around a minute. Then strain and mix the tea with 1 Tbs. of sweetened condensed milk and 1 Tbs. of evaporated milk. You can play around with the quantities. Add a little sugar to taste, then pour over ice and top with a little more evaporated milk for a nice color. Remember, the hot tea should taste a little sweeter than you like b/c the ice is going to mellow it out very quickly. Also, some people like to pour the finished hot tea between two containers for a bit to give it a little foam.