First Game In Thailand

MartyK

Hello good people of the Thaivisa ex-pat football forum,

My dear old dad (an old Scotsman, and Rangers devotee) will be visiting me in Bangkok this year, and I'd like to take him to a game. I'm not much of a football person myself, so my research is a bit limited by my ignorance.

However, I have done a fair amount of research and just want a bit of advice, if you all don't mind...

#1 - What would be the better game to see (all in Bangkok):

Army United vs. Buriram United

Bangkok Glass vs. Osotspa

Bankok United vs. Suphanburi

Bangkok United vs. Chiang Rai

#2 - Do I need to buy tickets, or just show up at the stadium?

If need to buy tickets, then where?

If just show up at stadium, then when?

#3 - Violence, Tense Moments, Safety: assuming I'm a jolly fellow who is not the least bit interested in getting in a fight, should I be concerned about the safety of myself and father?

#4 - Anyone going to have a problem with my dad wearing a Rangers shirt?

#5 - I find this article to be highly informative, but any other essential information we should know?

http://www.totalfootballmag.com/features/world-football/thailand-where-football-takes-on-a-whole-new-meaning/

Thank you all!

1. Army vs. Buriram could be exciting, as Buriram is always one of the top teams and Army has been having a pretty good season. The other matches you mentioned are a bit more mid-table but could end up being just as fun.

2. Just show up. I would try to get there at least an hour or so before kickoff, that'll give you time to buy tickets, get a beer, find a good seat etc.

3. Usually not a lot of violence at Thai football matches, although there have been some exceptions. I normally go to BEC Tero matches and I've never seen any hint of violence, they're actually very family-friendly events and everyone is pretty respectful of one another. I did see some fighting at a Muang Thong vs. Thai Port match last year, so it's not unheard of. I wouldn't worry much though.

4. No problems there.

5. Nothing else to add really, just go and have a good time.

Anyone going to have a problem with my dad wearing a Rangers shirt? Don't worry about it, Rangers are almost unheard of in Thailand.

That also refers to the old Rangers.

Get him to wear a Celtic shirt, there are plenty of them about here.

Anyone going to have a problem with my dad wearing a Rangers shirt? Don't worry about it, Rangers are almost unheard of in Thailand.

Plastic paddys in every town across the world

Plastic paddys in every town across the world

What is a plastic paddy?

I wouldn't mind taking the family to a game. What's the typical cost of adult and kid ticket?

Pretty inexpensive. When I go to BEC Tero matches adult tickets are only 100 baht. Not sure about prices for kids, I know real small kids get in for free but I don't know what the age/height cutoff is. Other stadiums might have some variation in price, but I think they're all fairly cheap.

100 baht admission ?? No problems with admission costs then !

I think Burinam are the current champions so I'd definitely lean towards that game. Burinam fans travel too so should be a good atmosphere

Re your dad in his Rangers shirt, they will deffo itch his skin in Thailand with the heat, the Celtic or Manchester Ubited ones are always more comfortable ;)

Burriram game would be your best bet

Buy the tickets at the ground.

Violence is very rare but there is a lot of shouting and normally drums and flag waving.

Wear whatever shirt you like.

You can normally buy one of the home teams shirts at the ground for about 400-500 baht so quite a nice gift to go home with.

VIP seats (covered seating area) are normally 150 baht. Well worth paying the extra to keep the sun or rain off.

Before the match they play the Kings song and everybody stands up and faces the same direction.

1. Army vs. Buriram could be exciting, as Buriram is always one of the top teams and Army has been having a pretty good season. The other matches you mentioned are a bit more mid-table but could end up being just as fun.

2. Just show up. I would try to get there at least an hour or so before kickoff, that'll give you time to buy tickets, get a beer, find a good seat etc.

3. Usually not a lot of violence at Thai football matches, although there have been some exceptions. I normally go to BEC Tero matches and I've never seen any hint of violence, they're actually very family-friendly events and everyone is pretty respectful of one another. I did see some fighting at a Muang Thong vs. Thai Port match last year, so it's not unheard of. I wouldn't worry much though.

4. No problems there.

5. Nothing else to add really, just go and have a good time.

Thank you! Very helpful.

Burriram game would be your best bet

Buy the tickets at the ground.

Violence is very rare but there is a lot of shouting and normally drums and flag waving.

Wear whatever shirt you like.

You can normally buy one of the home teams shirts at the ground for about 400-500 baht so quite a nice gift to go home with.

VIP seats (covered seating area) are normally 150 baht. Well worth paying the extra to keep the sun or rain off.

Before the match they play the Kings song and everybody stands up and faces the same direction.

Perfect, thanks!

I would also say the Army vs Buriram game as Buriram have been one of the best teams in the league over the last few years. They will also probably have a large following there which will add to the atmosphere. Buriram do play in dark blue but I don't think your Dad's Rangers shirt will get confused with one of their fans :-)

There have been a few instances of crowd trouble but they are few and far between, My advice would be to turn up an hour before kick off and buy the most expensive tickets . That way you should avoid the fanatical fans who sit in the cheaper seats . athough it is fun, they will possibly bang drums, and be very loud and enthusiastic. It is a fun experience but by sitting in the seats you can be a spectator.

attachicon.gifCeltic.jpg

This looks like something that was made by supporters of Scotlands newest team.

If any football supporters of any British team can honestly say they have seen this before,

then please let me know.

The only Rangers strip I have ever seen worn in Thailand, was on a young Thai girl in Pattaya.

I asked her where she got it, she pointed to the beach and said something like "over there".

Jockstar, I will be happy to continue with this debate with you.

attachicon.gifCeltic.jpg

This looks like something that was made by supporters of Scotlands newest team.

If any football supporters of any British team can honestly say they have seen this before,

then please let me know.

The only Rangers strip I have ever seen worn in Thailand, was on a young Thai girl in Pattaya.

I asked her where she got it, she pointed to the beach and said something like "over there".

Jockstar, I will be happy to continue with this debate with you.

post-10746-0-95294800-1443336483_thumb.j

laugh.pngwhistling.gif

Not quite, they were ready to lock the gates, then Fergus McCann came along and put his money where his mouth is.

I wonder if Dave King is going to do the same. He has not done it so far. May I point out that I am not a Tim.

Having lived in Bangkok for 5 years i can agree with you that you do see more Celtic tops than Rangers. I did ask a few people about this. I was told. Its because the strip is different. And they like it.laugh.png

Not quite, they were ready to lock the gates, then Fergus McCann came along and put his money where his mouth is.

I wonder if Dave King is going to do the same. He has not done it so far. May I point out that I am not a Tim.

Having lived in Bangkok for 5 years i can agree with you that you do see more Celtic tops than Rangers. I did ask a few people about this. I was told. Its because the strip is different. And they like it.laugh.png

Yes, probably because the Rangers top is similar to the Chelsea one and Chelsea are well supported in Thailand.

I can't think of any well known Champions League who have the green and white hoops.

#1 - What would be the better game to see (all in Bangkok):

Army United vs. Buriram United

Bangkok Glass vs. Osotspa

Bankok United vs. Suphanburi

Bangkok United vs. Chiang Rai

Bangkok Utd v Suphanburi would be my choice from that list. However, the bottom fixture should read Chonburi v Chiang Rai Utd, which would come ahead of all the others. smile.png Chonburi Stadium is only one and a half hours from central Bangkok.

#2 - Do I need to buy tickets, or just show up at the stadium?

If need to buy tickets, then where?

If just show up at stadium, then when?

You will be OK just turning up at the stadium. Aim to get there an hour or so before kick off to soak up the pre match atmosphere.

#3 - Violence, Tense Moments, Safety: assuming I'm a jolly fellow who is not the least bit interested in getting in a fight, should I be concerned about the safety of myself and father?

You will be fine at all those fixtures.

#4 - Anyone going to have a problem with my dad wearing a Rangers shirt?

None at all. Fans turn up in all sorts of football shirts.

#5 - I find this article to be highly informative, but any other essential information we should know?

The refs can be erratic - to say the least - and some of the diving/play acting grates but overall, you should enjoy the experience.

You're more than welcome to visit my website http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/chonburifc/113109/Home There are lots of interviews with fans, coaches, players and chairmen from various Thai clubs and hopefully you should find it a useful source of information.

Hope that helps