Do you have any MALE Thai friends?

puukao

Why would the average Thai guy want a male farang friend?

Trophies.........................wink.png

Seems to elevate them within their own circles.

And especially so, if the trophy happens to be a "well-strapped" caucasian farang. Just the facts, since Thais, like most Asians, tend to be quite "skin-color" conscious rolleyes.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is quite a range of replies in this thread.

In providing a general summary we could postulate two definitive groups:

Group A: Posters who seem well balanced without daft or bigoted replies - In general this type of poster has some male Thai friends.

Group B: Posters who seem a little irrational, bigoted with some quite frankly daft and insulting opinions - In general this type of poster doesn't have Thai male friends.

Group C: Thai apologists who think anyone who doesn't agree that everything in Thailand is wonderful are racists and bigots.

You mean anyone who disagreed with your obnoxious statement earlier in this thread then....

To get along and develop friendships here, we don't have to wear those special rose-tinted-spectacles and think Thailand is wonderful with no faults...

We just have to be normal, balanced, open minded and not think all Thai's are Generally very shallow, or that they have little education. To make a friendship with a Thai we'd have to be someone who would bother rather than someone who's first comment is a generally offensive slur against all Thai males.

We just have to be normal, balanced, open minded and not think all Thai's are Generally very shallow, or that they have little education. To make a friendship with a Thai we'd have to be someone who would bother rather than someone who's first comment is a generally offensive slur against all Thai males.

Once you exclude all the men who call you 'farang' and all the men who expect you to pay, there aren't a lot left.

I always assume foreign men who want Thai males as friends are gay (as per previous posts on this thread).

Hey, nothing wrong with being gay. I just don't confuse sex partners with friendship.

Once you exclude all the men who call you 'farang' and all the men who expect you to pay, there aren't a lot left.

I always assume foreign men who want Thai males as friends are gay (as per previous posts on this thread).

Hey, nothing wrong with being gay. I just don't confuse sex partners with friendship.

Your posts just get better and better...

Not only do you consider Thai's generally very shallow with very little education and question as to why anyone would even bother becoming friends with a Thai male, you now consider any Western Male in a normal friendship with a Thai guy as Gay !!!!...

As far as paying for beer... I find it is based on who is drinking and their ability to pay. If I'm drinking with my principal pooyai bahn or the older male teachers (old enough to be my father) they won't allow me to pay. If I'm drinking with teachers my age we each contribute or take turns. If I am drinking with farmers I will often "lieng/feed" buy them a beer or two or some snacks for their lao khao. I don't see this as a farang thing... the higher status and wealthier members of the village often buy a beer for the poorer villagers drinking at the minimart. They often will drink a glass and leave a bottle or.two after a quick chat. This is especially so with our pooyai baan.

Thai's are generally very shallow, with little real education.

Almost impossible to have as friends, and why would you bother?

I have 3 or 4 male friends (British and Australian), no female friends.

Do people ever have time for more than a handful of friends?

Racist slur!

I have met and enjoyed the company of far better educated Thai males than the ignoramuses that seem to post on here for sure.

If your life doesn't much extend beyond local bars or the expat community than you are unlikely to meet decent, educated, genuinely friendly male Thais, or females come to that!

"Get a life" as the saying goes!

Firstly

Thai isn't a race, Asian is a race.

Secondly

My interactions are almost entirely with Mountain bikers (mixed), road bikers (Thai) and hikers (foreigners).

About 100 of which are fairly wealthy older Thai males (road bikers) ........... happy to wave and say hello (and race against), but none have made the friends list.

I have any friends I meet in bars, because I don't go to bars.

I don't have any friends who are expats either.

There are only 5 'friend' slots available in my life (too busy for more), four are filled by foreign men, the remaining half filled by two Asian women (non-Thai).

I don't have any American, Canadian, Somali, French, Ethiopian ......... friends either ..........

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Racist slur!

I have met and enjoyed the company of far better educated Thai males than the ignoramuses that seem to post on here for sure.

If your life doesn't much extend beyond local bars or the expat community than you are unlikely to meet decent, educated, genuinely friendly male Thais, or females come to that!

Firstly

Secondly

My interactions are almost entirely with Mountain bikers (mixed), road bikers (Thai) and hikers (foreigners).

About 100 of which are fairly wealthy older Thai males (road bikers) ........... happy to wave and say hello (and race against), but none have made the friends list.

There are only 5 'friend' slots available in my life (too busy for more), four are filled by foreign men, the remaining half filled by two Asian women (non-Thai).

I'm not stalking you I promise... but your responses are quite incredibly daft....

With such specific criteria - Do your friends have to take any sort of 'entrance examination' before you consider them good enough to become friends?

What happens if you meet someone who has the potential to become a new-better friend? does one of the original 5 get relegated to acquaintance status?

Does being a Thai Male automatically omit someone from potential 'friend' status?

Racist slur!

Firstly

Secondly

I'm not stalking you I promise... but your responses are quite incredibly daft....

With such specific criteria - Do your friends have to take any sort of 'entrance examination' before you consider them good enough to become friends?

What happens if you meet someone who has the potential to become a new-better friend? does one of the original 5 get relegated to acquaintance status?

Does being a Thai Male automatically omit someone from potential 'friend' status?

More importantly, how to apply? laugh.png

Step 1

You need to be able to cycle from CM Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep in less than 70 minutes.

Step 2

Educated in the west to at least degree level.

Step 3

Be able to walk from 700 year stadium to the Ban Chang Kian coffee shop

Step 4

Be fully funded for the rest of your life.

I suspect you have already failed on the first three criteria .............

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Step 1

You need to be able to cycle from CM Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep in less than 70 minutes.

Step 2

Educated in the west to at least degree level.

Step 3

Be able to walk from 700 year stadium to the Ban Chang Kian coffee shop

Step 4

Be fully funded for the rest of your life.

I suspect you have already failed on the first three criteria .............

RE: steps 1 & 3. What sort of distances are we talking about?

Less than 70 minutes? What is this?

Dad's Army, or what.

Takes me 50 minutes, 70 is just minimum requirements ........... I was leaving potential friends room for improvement.

Less than 70 minutes? What is this?

Dad's Army, or what.

Takes me 50 minutes, 70 is just minimum requirements ........... I was leaving potential friends room for improvement.

That's great!

4220xtylxhubing2.jpg

Why would the average Thai guy want a male farang friend?

+1

I'd say for the same reasons I like to meet locals wherever I am--to get to know them. I have a Thai male friend I have known for over seven years. He is my age, 70, and owns commercial property and small businesses, so he has some money. He regularly hangs around farang watering holes; he likes to use his English and meet new people. He is educated and can talk on almost any subject. He even knows Western history and geography. I trust this man, he is a friend. Wherever we meet, we share bills (he pays one time, I pay the next), an old Thai custom between friends. I have to be quick, or he will pay when it is my turn.

I live in a rural area in East Thailand. I visit my neighbours regularly. They are mostly relations of my wife. nawee, the uncle is a true friend. He says I am better than a brother. They are all of Laos ancestry but love Thai culture and the Royal family. I get along very well with nephews and friends of the children of my wife. I work with Thai farmers as they plant and crop their fields, barter the duck and chicken eggs we produce and they help me with fencing and the like. We laugh a lot. My uncles and nephews are close.

Based on the discussions I think I will try futsal in Bangkok, I can actually make friends in my industry here easily (tech industry) but they are typically a little too nerdy for me. I'm looking for a friend to get rowdy with outside of Sukhumvit.

Edited by partysandy

Even if you can speak Thai did you ever think about what kind of intellectual enlightenment conversation you have from talking to a Thai man. As a rule, most Thais can not carry on an intelligent conversation unless the subject is eating, <deleted>**k, stealing and drinking. YOU FOOLS NEED TO WAKE UP TO WHERE YOU ARE LIVING. A Thai male friend will be an exception and usually he is interested in learning from you about western ways. Did you ever think about why Thailand is 38th in the world in education? It is because the government and the big man want to keep Thai people stupid so they can not come to Bangkok and make a big problem.

You can not fix stupid. Many of the controllers and thieves of the government are education in the western world. I always maintain that we live in two differenct worlds, The Peoples Republic Of Bangkok and The Peoples Republic Of Up Country Rice Salves. Thes ass holes do not want poor people to have a chance in life. If you belive all the bull shit about how they are helping people up country you are crazy. Fot the money that they dole out to the moo baans they hav short circuits waiting to return a big portion to Bangkok.

I would agree that much of the money doesn't make it to these villages.... I have a few great students. .. and I know their potential will not be reached... just because their family is poor and can't afford the city schools. I am just a grad student finishing his thesis while teaching here... but I wish I could help more. But, I still have made many friends here and love to show them what is out there for them and their kids if they can beat the odds.

This is a thread that could go on forever. Depends on each persons definition of friend. In a dozen postings in my working life, I met many people I got on with and saw socially. Then one or the other of us moved on. These are acquaintances, and the Thais I have the odd meal or drink with are in the same category. They wouldn't miss me if I left, and vice versa. This also applies to the farang in our up country town. There are half a dozen people (still alive) who I could call if I was in the shit, and they would help to the best of their ability, as I would for them. These are friends.

Even if you can speak Thai did you ever think about what kind of intellectual enlightenment conversation you have from talking to a Thai man. As a rule, most Thais can not carry on an intelligent conversation unless the subject is eating, <deleted>**k, stealing and drinking. YOU FOOLS NEED TO WAKE UP TO WHERE YOU ARE LIVING. A Thai male friend will be an exception and usually he is interested in learning from you about western ways. Did you ever think about why Thailand is 38th in the world in education? It is because the government and the big man want to keep Thai people stupid so they can not come to Bangkok and make a big problem.

Easy there old chap. My daughter-in-law's father speaks no English and my Thai is not much better, but we get along just fine. We have had some great conversations charade-mode--each of us wants to understand the other.

As far as being poorly educated, it seems the Thai government may be the only government doing that. A BBC study shows, " . . . that there are 8.5 million adults in England and Northern Ireland with the numeracy levels of a 10-year-old. This shocking report shows England has some of the least literate and numerate young adults in the developed world," said Skills Minister Matthew Hancock. "These are Labour's children, educated under a Labour government and force-fed a diet of dumbing down and low expectations." http://www.bbc.com/news/education-24433320

However, being poorly educated does not mean you cannot be a friend. One of my best friends dropped out of school at 13 and has only manged to work as a forklift operator. Yet, a better, more honest, or more sincere friend you could not want. Yes, we limit our conversations to sports and the good times we've had with friends, but we enjoy each others' company.