The Hidden Cost of Moving your Family to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Well Thailand may be cheap in comparison and or when you're just visiting, but when you love under the Baht it's a different story. One hidden cost may be using public transportation everyday. If you want to own your own vehicle, you will need to buy in cash because you won't be able to get financing.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my son at Prem International School in Chiang Mai.

The cost was over 400,000 thb per year plus all the other costs they stick you with for everything else.

10 years later after moving back to the USA, my son is in remedial Math and English classes in High School.

Even one of the best and highly regarded International Schools in Thailand has left him far behind kids in his grade.

If you think your kid will get a decent education in Thailand, it's not going to happen period.

What is the value of speaking Thai outside of Thailand? Zero!

If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now, I never would have never moved to Thailand.

Now there are going to be those farang parents that never had an education themselves are OK with their kids growing up and earning 10,000 baht a month the rest of their lives but not me.

There are also those that only care about how much sex and beer they can get on the cheap.

My only salvation is our current school has the processes in place to get my kid caught up and he loves it here.

I am amazed at the number of parents that never educated themselves and could care less what their kids end up as.

All I gathered from what you've posted is that you spend $25,00 on groceries, which seems excessive.

Sorry all the $ signs are really Bhat costs my spread sheet does not give the bhat sign so that is 25,000 bhat a month which includes 2 bottles of red wine in that price and say 8 cans of german beer per month.

I hope that helps that is for 2 of us

And yes that could be over the top but better to be on the right side of the ledger in real terms maybe I spend 18,000 bhat a month it also depends if I want to buy a couple of roasts in there.

In the end what i am saying that life here is not really cheap unless you want to be a tight wad and live in a darken room with just a fan. Each to there own.

Edited by whiteman

Really, life is worth nothing in Thailand..... How biter are you.. Where are you from ?

Your life is worth nothing in Thailand, using public transportation or your own you risk your life daily. Good medical care is expensive as are imported drugs administered by Thai hospitals.

How many years have you lived here? I started coming here in 1975 and have lived here many years now.

In the end what i am saying that life here is not really cheap unless you want to be a tight wad and live in a darken room with just a fan. Each to there own.

Having a cute female university student living with me in the UK would cost me a fortune!

I had my son at Prem International School in Chiang Mai.

The cost was over 400,000 thb per year plus all the other costs they stick you with for everything else.

10 years later after moving back to the USA, my son is in remedial Math and English classes in High School.

Even one of the best and highly regarded International Schools in Thailand has left him far behind kids in his grade.

If you think your kid will get a decent education in Thailand, it's not going to happen period.

What is the value of speaking Thai outside of Thailand? Zero!

If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now, I never would have never moved to Thailand.

Now there are going to be those farang parents that never had an education themselves are OK with their kids growing up and earning 10,000 baht a month the rest of their lives but not me.

There are also those that only care about how much sex and beer they can get on the cheap.

My only salvation is our current school has the processes in place to get my kid caught up and he loves it here.

I am amazed at the number of parents that never educated themselves and could care less what their kids end up as.

They put themselves before their child..they know what they are doing but it's another of a series of denials..you get loads of crap on here about how good the village school is etc...give me a break..a village in a developing country..maybe in Bangkok..but not elsewhere.

Also the wives seem apathetic..

Your life is worth nothing in Thailand, using public transportation or your own you risk your life daily. Good medical care is expensive as are imported drugs administered by Thai hospitals.

I can't argue against people who think like you any more, there's so many people that seem not to get it right here in Thailand and end up being bitter and blaming the country and its people instead of themselves.

I am stating the truth, kill someone here and pay their family 10,000, drunk drivers, driving on the wrong side of the highways/sois, no lights, no license, no insurance. Death is a celebration here. I am not blaming anyone I am stating facts.

Have a problem here 90% of the time the police take the Thai side.

Good medical care is expensive, as are imported medicines.

How many people are killed daily in van/bus crashes, drivers fleeing the scene.

What world do you live in, do you get out much?

I can't argue against people who think like you any more, there's so many people that seem not to get it right here in Thailand and end up being bitter and blaming the country and its people instead of themselves.

I am stating the truth, kill someone here and pay their family 10,000, drunk drivers, driving on the wrong side of the highways/sois, no lights, no license, no insurance. Death is a celebration here. I am not blaming anyone I am stating facts.

Have a problem here 90% of the time the police take the Thai side.

Good medical care is expensive, as are imported medicines.

How many people are killed daily in van/bus crashes, drivers fleeing the scene.

What world do you live in, do you get out much?

You are right..anybody who thinks otherwise has their head in the sand.

Jump from balcony...always a suicide..

Murder..never a Thai..

Just 2 indicators...

It did take me a number of years however to realise this..once the tinted glasses came off.

The tricky thing is that the expat cost of living indexes don't include education, financing/interest, cars and the tax system and that is where Thailand compares rather negative to other countries.

Healthcare being another big consideration, especially with a young family.

A (rich) friend of mine paid GBP 20,000 for an operation here last year.

4 years ago, Bangkok hospital Pattaya quoted me 200,000 Baht for a simple hernia operation. It was cheaper to fly to the UK and having it done in a private clinic. This included tickets and a few nights hotel...

6 years ago I had a dental crown done in BPH for 15,000 Baht, not too bad, last year the same crown, on the other side would go for 45,000 Baht, 3 times the price in 5 years, the room, dentist and all equipment was the same...

I paid 3,500 baht for an upper molar crown at my local hospital. Good job, no problems.

What I don't really understand is, if you have a wife and kids why would you want to come to Thailand? The only thing I can see is if you get a huge pay increase and it outweighs all the negatives. If you don't make a sizable amount of extra money to come here after all expenses what is the point? There may be some exceptions if you get moved to a beach town or whatever but most people getting huge salaries will be based in Bangkok.

Well Thailand may be cheap in comparison and or when you're just visiting, but when you love under the Baht it's a different story. One hidden cost may be using public transportation everyday. If you want to own your own vehicle, you will need to buy in cash because you won't be able to get financing.

On your last words of wisdom....absolute and catagoric rubbish :rolleyes: Edited by Soutpeel

What I don't really understand is, if you have a wife and kids why would you want to come to Thailand? The only thing I can see is if you get a huge pay increase and it outweighs all the negatives. If you don't make a sizable amount of extra money to come here after all expenses what is the point? There may be some exceptions if you get moved to a beach town or whatever but most people getting huge salaries will be based in Bangkok.

I'm with you there.

The hidden cost here would be that resulting from untreated mental illness.

Let's go the other way,, what happens if later, years later you

decide you want to return, back to square one, in life we get

ahead sometimes with family connections, friends we made

at school and general networking, who will you network with

in Thailand, buffaloes don't speak English.

Don't forget missionaries.

MONTHLY INCOME MONTHLY EXPENSES SUMMARY

Item Amount Item Amount Total Monthly Income Total Monthly Expenses Balance

Income 1 $113,138.00 INTERNETT $4,610.00 $147,138 $109,379 $37,759

Income 2 $26,000.00 Electric $5,000.00

Other $8,000.00 TV $2,500.00

tim monthly thai budget EDD WAGERS $9,000.00

Groceries $25,000.00 tims monthly thai budget

TIM HEALTH COVER $9,611.00

PETROL $5,000.00

tim merc insurance $3,300.00

PILLS $4,000.00

koi life cover $700.00

mazda insurance $1,792.00

koi medical $1,800.00

tim nz life cover $2,400.00

rates $1,666.00

pet food $4,000.00

vet 1000

cars 2 maintain 6000

travel and treats 20000

visa cell netgame 1000

smarty school 1000

This should give you a ball park I do not go to bars but Enjoy life Eg total monthly income is 147,138 I have approx 39,000 bhat a month not spent and We have no children

Perhaps you could provide a glossary?

Don't forget missionaries.

Even then they are still trying to get paid... I live next to the Mormons in Bangkok and they always are looking to get in the first tier of heaven by converting. In the case of religions not all gains are necessarily monetary. I can respect this, although the average Joe has to be a nut job to move here with no financial benefit if he/she has kids.

Yes, living in thailand with children when you have other options available is being an irresponsible parent. And I'm not just talking about their education either, but in terms of quality of life and health.

Rubbish, i spent my formative years in many countries which were/are far "worse" than Thailand and it did me no harm and the fact my parents where prepared to go to these sorts of places gave them the money to get me a very good education far better than i would have got if they had stayed in farangistan

Yes, living in thailand with children when you have other options available is being an irresponsible parent. And I'm not just talking about their education either, but in terms of quality of life and health.

Rubbish, i spent my formative years in many countries which were/are far "worse" than Thailand and it did me no harm and the fact my parents where prepared to go to these sorts of places gave them the money to get me a very good education far better than i would have got if they had stayed in farangistan

I guess you're not a parent. Let me just tell you the 1st rule of parenting: Just because a kid likes something, doesn't mean it's good for them.

And your last reference to "farangistan" reveals your true character. Strange anti-western bias.

Edited by Time Traveller

I guess you're not a parent. Let me just tell you the 1st rule of parenting: Just because a kid likes something, doesn't mean it's good for them.

And your last reference to "farangistan" reveals your true character. Strange anti-western bias.

You guessed wrong then....what are you going on about anyway ?

and for the record my child travelled to a few countries growing up as well with me and some "worse" than Thailand and she has just started her 2nd year at medical school in the UK....so much for your first rule of parenting..Dr Zeuss...

Travelling and spending time/experiencing other countries is great for a childs upbringing and education

Farangistan...anti western ....LOL your delusional my friend

Edited by Soutpeel

I have to disagree when it is about Thailand and what is offered here, unless you have money.

I know what you are saying, living abroad wherever can have is advantages over the UK but this is a Thailand forum. I agree with the other poster..it borders on the irresponsible , if you can't afford an international education.

and for the record my child travelled to a few countries growing up as well with me and some "worse" than Thailand and she has just started her 2nd year at medical school in the UK....so much for your first rule of parenting....

Usually parents want the best for their children. The only thing you've said is that Thailand is good because it's not the worst place. Well if you're happy with that, who am I to argue.

So I concede. You win Soutpeel. Thailand is a great place for children. It has no issues with pollution. There are no disease epidemics (unlike those western nations). It has lots of safe places for children to go, like parks, libraries and museums. It has world class sports training facilites and education. All up, I guess that's why the world's wealthy are all sending their children to schools in Thailand.

Edited by Time Traveller

I have to disagree when it is about Thailand and what is offered here, unless you have money.

I know what you are saying, living abroad wherever can have is advantages over the UK but this is a Thailand forum. I agree with the other poster..it borders on the irresponsible , if you can't afford an international education.

But your assuming an expat family moving here doesnt have money and cant afford international schools or the company that brings the family over may even pay for the international school

All the expat familes i have known who have moved to Thailand have done so for the job and either the company has paid the schooling or the parent(s) are on plenty of money to pay for an international school

and for the record my child travelled to a few countries growing up as well with me and some "worse" than Thailand and she has just started her 2nd year at medical school in the UK....so much for your first rule of parenting....

Usually parents want the best for their children. The only thing you've said is that Thailand is good because it's not the worst place. Well if you're happy with that, who am I to argue.

So I concede. You win Soutpeel. Thailand is a great place for children. It has no issues with pollution. It has lots of safe places for children to go, like parks, libraries and museums. It has world class sports training facilites and education. I guess that's why the world's wealthy are all sending their children to schools in Thailand.

Oh give the whinging a rest, and stop being silly...yes i win....been there seen that got the t-shirt....if your so unhappy in Thailand why dont you go back to farangistan and teach people the rules of parenting ? :rolleyes:

But your assuming an expat family moving here doesnt have money and cant afford international schools or the company that brings the family over may even pay for the international school

All the expat familes i have known who have moved to Thailand have done so for the job and either the company has paid the schooling or the parent(s) are on plenty of money to pay for an international school

International school in Thailand? Are you kidding? That's not people with money. That's people who can't afford boarding schools in Switzerland, or the UK, or America.

International school in Thailand? Are you kidding? That's not people with money. That's people who can't afford boarding schools in Switzerland, or the UK, or America.

Oh do give it a rest, your just making yourself look an even bigger fool than you have already shown yourself to be...maybe the parents dont want to put their kids in boarding school and want them home everynight....he is you lecturing about being a responsible parent and your talking about boarding schools 10, 000 miles from the parents :blink:.....shall we discuss responsible parenting again shall we ?

Edited by Soutpeel

So I concede. You win Soutpeel. Thailand is a great place for children. It has no issues with pollution. It has lots of safe places for children to go, like parks, libraries and museums. It has world class sports training facilites and education. I guess that's why the world's wealthy are all sending their children to schools in Thailand.

Oh give the whinging a rest, and stop being silly...yes i win....been there seen that got the t-shirt....if your so unhappy in Thailand why dont you go back to farangistan and teach people the rules of parenting ? rolleyes.gif

Oh, the old "if your so unhappy in Thailand why don't you go back to..." line.

Ok. I already did leave Thailand. Yes my children's lives were a factor in that decision.

I gave an opinion on what I think of Thailand's suitability for raising children and I get attacked for that. Oh well. If that's the kind of place you want to live in, where only positive opinions are allowed. Good for you.

If possible I would highly recommend a family visit to Thailand first, perhaps over the school holidays, the longer the visit the better. Not just a trip to the tourist sights,but where you think you might live.

Visit the schools and talk to expat families and teachers. Ask whatever concerns you regarding education.

Rent a car and drive around the city and outlying areas of where you are interested in.

Visit hospitals ask about insurance and fees, coverage and treatment. Talk to staff, and expat families in that setting to get their opinion on the healthcare.

Attend an expat club meeting, most any city that has international schools would have a local expat group. Ask the questions you have as well as get their input on additional queries you should make.

Churches, Consulates, Chess clubs or any other affiliations you can think of will likely have informed individuals that can impart their knowledge upon you, to help in your decision.

Bottom line the more informed you are about a decision the more likely you are to be equipped to make the right decision, IMHO a family visit is essential to making a properly informed decision.

Lack of critical thinking would be a major concern for schooling.

If your not taught to think critically and express those thoughts you simply don't grow intellectually and you don't learn to solve problems.

This is ingrained into Thai culture. It will serve you well interacting with other Thais, but if you leave for another country for work, better watch out. They are going to have to learn a whole new skill set to advance.