The Hidden Cost of Moving your Family to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Sort of back on topic with this,

An english couple, friends of mine, had 2 boys whilst working in Penang.

They did the best they could for 7 years; but are now back uk with the boys.

They were a little behind in most everything; but no harm done.

The parents feel they did the best thing for the continuing education of the boys; and ultimately for their long term work, job and career prospects.

sounds about right

sorry to tell you this but it's more than just academics that those kids missed out on by living in Thailand.

Other issues I found were :

-The air pollution in thailand (Soutpeel will probably be along to say how much worse the air pollution is in India!),

-The fact that they had to spend 2 hours in traffic each day to take them to and from school.

-The fact that sports are basically non existant in Thailand apart from spending another 2 hours in traffic to the one decent center (if one exists).

-The fact that parks are so few and public libraries non-existant

- The fact that thailand has so many road accidents.

And that's not even discussing the cultural issues missing out on traditions such as Halloween/christmas/children's birthday parties. To even longer term problems of having children adopt thai traits which westerners see negatively such as passiveness and avoiding questioning things.

Now we live in a place where pretty much everything is within 10 minutes from our home. It's clear that life is much better for us, maybe that's not the case for everyone. But I just don't see how some other members on this forum can say that this is "slagging off thailand" about everything. It's just stating facts.

In fact, apart from that I like thailand.

Edited by Time Traveller

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The parents feel they did the best thing for the continuing education of the boys; and ultimately for their long term work, job and career prospects.

sounds about right

sorry to tell you this but it's more than just academics that those kids missed out on by living in Thailand.

-The air pollution in thailand (Soutpeel will probably be along to say how much worse the air pollution is in India!),

-The fact that they had to spend 2 hours in traffic each day to take them to and from school.

-The fact that sports are basically non existant in Thailand apart from spending another 2 hours in traffic to the one decent center (if one exists).

And that's not even discussing the cultural issues missing out on traditions such as Halloween/christmas/children's birthday parties. To even longer term problems of having children adopt thai traits which westerners see negatively such as passiveness and avoiding questioning things.

Now we live in a place where pretty much everything is within 10 minutes from our home. It's clear that life is much better for us, maybe that's not the case for everyone. But I just don't see how some other members on this forum can say that this is "slagging off thailand" about everything. It's just stating facts.

Yes you live somewhere else now but you along with a few others keeping getting on TV trying to convince everyone Thailand is so bad and where you are is so good, seems to me your lacking closure regarding your "thai experience"

I have lived in many countries over the years and have never felt inclined to get on XYZvisa.com and slag those places off on a continual basis

If you are so glad you left Thailand why do you keep popping up on a Thai based forum trying to justify your departure from thailand ?

Seems to me your Thai experience didnt work out the way you planned and you are bitter....

thats my take on posters such as yourself and a few others on here

And BTW never been to India so cant comment on the pollution

I will say the biggest downside is that the rich parents are obnoxious...and to put it politely this behaviour starts to project itself of how some student behaviour especially the girls in the latter years..

And this is what, an emphasis on material possessions?

sounds about right

I disagree TimeTraveller,

My kid (4 years old) has a much better and happier life in Thailand than he could possibly have had in the UK.

The weather is nice all the time, he can play on the road on his bike every evening, everyone looks after him.

Travel time to kindergarten about 2 minutes as the school is 200m up the road.

Moobaan has a park, we are surrounded by countryside.

Not keen on any of the western traditions you mention, they all seem based on greed and avarice to me.

None of my 4 children in the UK were ever allowed out alone, too risky.

Not to mention too wet, and too cold.

Bullying at school is a huge problem in the UK.

It's only the high school and university education I am concerned about.

Anyway,this thread is about western children moving to Thailand, completely different discussion for Thai nationals born here.

Western kids will never fit in here, will never belong, aren't welcome.

Thai kids can live and work here, never need to leave the country, need never compete against western educated children, so aren't disadvantaged in the same way.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I would have two major concerns of schooling in Thailand:

1. The lack of freedom of speech. Once in high school there should be a heavy emphasis on politics and free thinking and in my Western high school we certainly found ourselves discussing politics quite frequently in many different classes. I don't know how you have a school or an educational system under article 44.

2. Classes being slowed down way too much by rich kids/English as a 2nd language students... this won't be politically correct but many Thais I met who went through the international schools and who are obviously well educated and intelligent communicate in English very slowly and I don't see how this would not become a bore/drag on the class... and when you add in that the school is run as a business to appease rich parents and the Thai social rules about face and class... it seems like a bit of a disaster.

As to your second point. Never experienced this as most kids are taught in the English medium from a very early age, if anything their Thai suffers.

I will take your word for it but coming from a household that speaks English as a first language would seem like a big continuing advantage.

sounds about right

My kid (4 years old) has a much better and happier life in Thailand than he could possibly have had in the UK.

The weather is nice all the time, he can play on the road on his bike every evening, everyone looks after him.

Not keen on any of the western traditions you mention, they all seem based on greed and avarice to me.

Anyway,this thread is about western children moving to Thailand, completely different discussion for Thai nationals born here.

Are those roads safe for a 4 year old to navigate?

Gated and walled moobaan, security at the front gate wouldn't let him out.

No traffic inside, Burmese moobaan employees, children, parents all over the roads all the time.

If he falls off his bike, closest adult picks him up and puts him back on.

Ditto here, we're not gated and walled but spread out over some area and everyone takes good care of the various sprogs that roam on bicycle, foot or whatever and all the (Western and Thai) parents feel very comfortable with that, it's a nice unsung plus point of living here.

sounds about right

Western kids will never fit in here, will never belong, aren't welcome.

Thai kids can live and work here, never need to leave the country, need never compete against western educated children, so aren't disadvantaged in the same way.

Agree. But why not give them the tools to be able to study and work abroad if they are capable and want to, given they have eu or uk passports.

They will be disadvantaged in a " different " way if you don't educate them correctly.

Western kids fit in ok in Bangkok it's a world city.

Gated and walled moobaan, security at the front gate wouldn't let him out.

No traffic inside, Burmese moobaan employees, children, parents all over the roads all the time.

If he falls off his bike, closest adult picks him up and puts him back on.

Soi dogs and dogs from other owners can be a problem, another problem maybe where they are still building the moo baan, workers bring their dogs etc..the moo baan needs to be established and neighbours know each other at least on nodding terms.