Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

1 minute ago, Thian said:

So my question was/is: is a pcx registered as a big bike or not? I guess not but maybe the new models will be.

On which document and where exactly is it registered as a "big bike"? I have a PCX, so if you tell me where i will have a look at my documents

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

On which document and where exactly is it registered as a "big bike"? I have a PCX, so if you tell me where i will have a look at my documents

I can't read those documents, but iirc it costs 600 baht a year to register a big bike...small bikes should be cheaper i assume.

Anything above 150cc is a big bike and registered like that...it costs more to have a big bike in thailand for registering.

my 153 cc SH is also big bike on the papers.

555, now a scooter is already called a big bike. [emoji23]

I can't see any difference in the papers of my 125cc PCX and my 800Tiger. Even tax and Porabor costs same.

For sure you can explain where to see.

4 minutes ago, georgy said:

555, now a scooter is already called a big bike. emoji23.png

I can't see any difference in the papers of my 125cc PCX and my 800Tiger. Even tax and Porabor costs same.

For sure you can explain where to see.

For sure i don't like the way you think you can write to me. And for sure you don't what you're talking 'bout.

For sure i don't like the way you think you can write to me. And for sure you don't what you're talking 'bout.
You mentioned registration of big bikes is different than for smaller ones. I would like to know where is the difference, that's all.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thian said:

I can't read those documents, but iirc it costs 600 baht a year to register a big bike...small bikes should be cheaper i assume.

The "registration" aka "tax" is 100thb per year for any motorbike, doesn't matter if it's a 110cc Honda Wave or a 1200cc BMW

What you are probably talking about is the compulsary insurance, which is as shown here: http://www.rvp.co.th/purchasing_insurance_en.php

So for motorbikes with more than 150cc (Also a Honda PCX 150 since 2012) you pay 645.21thb for the insurance. But the term "big bike" is never used anywhere. As i said before, there is no official definition of "big bike"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The "registration" aka "tax" is 100thb per year for any motorbike, doesn't matter if it's a 110cc Honda Wave or a 1200cc BMW

What you are probably talking about is the compulsary insurance, which is as shown here: http://www.rvp.co.th/purchasing_insurance_en.php

So for motorbikes with more than 150cc (Also a Honda PCX 150 since 2012) you pay 645.21thb for the insurance. But the term "big bike" is never used anywhere. As i said before, there is no official definition of "big bike"

I see, yes this might be what i paid..my wife told me it's for a big bike, smaller ones are cheaper.

For the rest i have no clue at all about regulations in Thailand, i just pay what's needed and that's it.

But still i wonder why the SH costed 20.000 baht more than a CPX and why it is faster. If the engines are the same maybe the wheelsize makes the difference?

Like papa-el recommended i now have Michelin citygrip tires on it which is a huge improvement. Will always buy those from now on.

The engines are probably quite similar, but not same, according to wikipedia the PCX has 152.9cc and the SH150 152.7cc. And nearly everything else will be a bit different too, just look at the style which is completely different. I would expect the SH to have the better overall quality, it has ABS, you don't pay the 20000baht more for nothing

I don't know which one is faster, you would have to make a race with both of them next to each other to get a clear answer, but i would expect that they are both about the same.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The engines are probably quite similar, but not same, according to wikipedia the PCX has 152.9cc and the SH150 152.7cc. And nearly everything else will be a bit different too, just look at the style which is completely different. I would expect the SH to have the better overall quality, it has ABS, you don't pay the 20000baht more for nothing

I don't know which one is faster, you would have to make a race with both of them next to each other to get a clear answer, but i would expect that they are both about the same.

My SH doesn't have ABS but has that system where the left lever operates both brakes.

The quality is good and the larger wheels is what i really like a lot.

I always pull up full throttle and no pcx has ever been faster, also topspeed is around 120. I thought the SH engine had newer technology than a PCX but they might be the same now, no idea as i have never even driven a PCX.

The SH was made in vietnam and the PCX in Thailand i thought, maybe the 20k baht extra is importtax? 

For tall drivers i would recommend the SH but it's not sold anymore in Thailand.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

And because a ferry to Samui is using this it's clearly the "official definition" ;)

In parking lots of Central Plaza in Bangkok they have big bike parking spaces, says 400cc up, that's as "official" as your ferry

Wrong again.  

Ferry is staffed with government officials.

Not so CP/B.

Nice try tho.

• 1 month later...
On 29/09/2015 at 8:44 PM, Thailaw said:

"Better marketing"? How about "better quality and durability". And, if you want the best value for money, when new models come out, the prices on the old models falls significantly. The Nouvo Elegance was a good bike 6+ years ago, but I certainly wouldn't want one now (not even fuel injected). So, for best value for money, look at a low mileage PCX 125, which have prices in the mid 30's -- great value IMHO. And you get a bike with a similar design to, and looks better than, the N Max, and most important -- it's a HONDA!

I, on the other hand, won't touch a Honda, any Honda.

The why is the strength of the Yamaha, which is better as the Honda.

Don't forget Honda is the "in" thing in Thailand, hence the higher 2nd hand value.

Got nothing to do with being better.

Your end line says it all: it's a Honda!

So what?

• Like 2

On 10/19/2017 at 2:01 PM, Thian said:

My SH doesn't have ABS but has that system where the left lever operates both brakes.

The quality is good and the larger wheels is what i really like a lot.

I always pull up full throttle and no pcx has ever been faster, also topspeed is around 120. I thought the SH engine had newer technology than a PCX but they might be the same now, no idea as i have never even driven a PCX.

The SH was made in vietnam and the PCX in Thailand i thought, maybe the 20k baht extra is importtax? 

For tall drivers i would recommend the SH but it's not sold anymore in Thailand.

Yes,  the SH is still sold here. The shop where I bought mine is still selling them. 

Because I have quite long longs the SH is a perfect fit for me. If feel scrunched up on a PCX. And I can't comfortably sit as pillion rider on a PCX, and it is downright painful on an N-Max, not to mention that my knees are at elbow height of the driver, which is positively dangerous if taking a lot of corners or avoiding obstacles.  Last time I was pillion on an N-Max the driver had is elbows as wide as possible and looked like a chicken so as to avoid banging into my knees.

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

What are the changes (if any)???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new full LED display, new light design, new wheel design - not that much I assume

image.png.928db4ed3dc4001af11ed8f364c56e88.png

Edited by MrJ
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 2:05 PM, GarryP said:

Yes,  the SH is still sold here. The shop where I bought mine is still selling them. 

Because I have quite long longs the SH is a perfect fit for me. If feel scrunched up on a PCX. And I can't comfortably sit as pillion rider on a PCX, and it is downright painful on an N-Max, not to mention that my knees are at elbow height of the driver, which is positively dangerous if taking a lot of corners or avoiding obstacles.  Last time I was pillion on an N-Max the driver had is elbows as wide as possible and looked like a chicken so as to avoid banging into my knees.

Great! mine has 30k km now and i would like a new one.  For me i like it the most for the flat floor when i put a lot of shoppings. But since i have the new michelin citygrip tires mounted i hear strange noises when i go above 80 km/hr...guess i have to balance the wheels but my garage can't do that.

I'll ask him about a new one anyway. I wished there was a bigger model with flat floor but there isn't.

• 6 months later...

Nmax wins coz of ABS brakes, Engine HP. Honda's only Pro is the fuel efficiency..

I am a PCX owner and I am envy of the Nmax ABS brakes. 

The new PCX 2018 doesn't come with an ABS either, and it is more expensive.

I wonder what Honda is thinking..

• Like 1

The only drag with NMax is it's small 13 inch rim sizes, although they are fat, I am too lazy but can someone "please" compare the actual outer diameter of the tires for these two (that is to add the tire thickness to the rim size) and let us know... !? (Because I think that is the ultimate measure of the effect on the road, not just the rim size).

Nmax wins coz of ABS brakes, Engine HP. Honda's only Pro is the fuel efficiency..

I am a PCX owner and I am envy of the Nmax ABS brakes. 

The new PCX 2018 doesn't come with an ABS either, and it is more expensive.

I wonder what Honda is thinking..

Only by around 8,000b. Having had many big bikes, I am not to fussed about ABS on a scooter but I do like the better lighting on the new PCX. That could be as much as a ‘life-saver’ as ABS????

22 hours ago, Agusts said:

The only drag with NMax is it's small 13 inch rim sizes, although they are fat, I am too lazy but can someone "please" compare the actual outer diameter of the tires for these two (that is to add the tire thickness to the rim size) and let us know... !? (Because I think that is the ultimate measure of the effect on the road, not just the rim size).

I dont have both bikes to check , but , as you suspect , the wider , higher and more compliant profile of the Yamahas bigger tires would make the "rolling radius" of the wheels the same. The grippy wider tires will be one of the reasons people say the Yamaha has better suspension on bumpy roads than the skinny wheeled Honda. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Only by around 8,000b. Having had many big bikes, I am not to fussed about ABS on a scooter but I do like the better lighting on the new PCX. That could be as much as a ‘life-saver’ as ABS????

The "retail" brochure price , and what those Honda dealers are trying to charge , are two different things. Although both 150 PCX and the 155 N-Max will give the same fuel consumption ( although a poster here is only getting "low 20,s" from his Honda ) it may be worth knowing that the MINIMUM 8,000 Baht price difference buys you over 12,000 KM worth of fuel. You may only need ABS once. But that once could be important.

• Like 1

i have rented both for the last few days,

both seats kinda wants to push me forwards off the bikes,

but pcx pushes much harder.

otoh pcx handle bar is not surrounded by plastic like nmax,

so while pcx handle bar hits my knees harder,

the handle bar itself can be raised so it wont be hitting knees at all.

i think forza 300 will be more comfortable and size forgiving than either,

kinda fancy the easy snappy handling of nmax tho, a sensation of a small bike in that regard

Edited by poanoi