AMD/ATI vs Nvidia Graphics with MS Windows 10

Duindam

We have two computer systems running a clean installation of MS Windows 10, the systems are identical with the exception that one has a AMD/ATI graphics card and the other a Nvidia graphics card.

With MS Windows 8.1, the graphic performance was very comparable – both graphic cards are the same price range so the performance specs are no surprise.

But with MS Windows 10, the Nvidia graphics card is much faster than the AMD/ATI. The latest stable AMD Catalyst driver is from 29-07-2015. If I try the 28-09-2015 Beta driver from AMD the performance returns to normal, but that also introduce errors like “irql_not_less_or_equal” accompanied with a Blue Screen of Death…

The performance of the Nvidia card even got a better with the Geforce 355.98 driver (22-09-2015), while it worked fast enough and stable with the previous driver Geforce 355.82 (31-08-2015).

If AMD/ATI would like to stay into the graphic card business they surely have to step-up the development of new drivers.

For the people who say why buy AMD/ATI graphic cards in the first place – it is because for not so long ago AMD/ATI graphic cards where better in performance per power consumption. With the latest generation chipsets, Nvidia offer better performance per Watt power consumption...

Similar problem with AMD/ATI graphics chip and W10. They are disappointing a lot of people. I have an HP with dual graphic chips. One will not be updated. One was. Still bad performance vs. W7.

This is my 2nd install of W10 and my 30 days runs out tomorrow. Legit copy of W7 Home Premium, so I guess I'm going back again. Or not. I could give it a couple of months more hoping it will get sorted or move to W7 Ultimate (Thai style rolleyes.gif)

I like W10 but my computer is not so happy so far....