Ticket for helmet cam

SooKee

I had a some what, of a "strange" stop the other night,, My girl was riding us home on our scooter a couple of nights ago, I had been drinking, so she drove.. 2 BIB waved us over, near Thong Lo,, and while ignoring her, No asking for license, registration, nothing, came straight to me, and said in pretty good English, "Who is this lady?" I simply said, "My girlfriend, we've lived together over 3 tears",, They both smiled truly genuine looking smiles, wyed us, and said, "Thank you, have a nice night",, and waved us on,,, was just strange I thought. Had she been dressed like a bar girl, etc, I could kinda see it, but she was dressed in her polo work shirt, with the resturant name on it,, Was just odd, as like I said, They didn't ask either one of us for any ID's,, insurance, nothing,,

I got stopped around there too. Same scenario. I was driving on scooter, made me do the breathalyzer device. My girl, who is a human resources girl, that I have know for a couple months, he asked her, in Thai, if she was a bar girl, where we were going, how long she had known me..

She had on a dress, but otherwise did not look bar girly-I don't think. Anyway I was let go, but she was annoyed about the question.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of this rubbish seems to happen if you live out in the sticks. I've been pulled twice for no helmet. First time, I was still working, and coming to see the family whenever I could. Pulled by the Highway police for no helmet, which I could hardly deny. No IDP, no Thai licence, I produced my warrant card. The officer could obviously read the word "police", and asked me what the second word was. For once, I was lightning quick and said colonel (well it's close enough to constable, I wasn't a high flyer). I got the Thai equivalent of "Thank you sir, mind how you go" and a smart salute.

Second time, now living here. Ran out of cigarettes. 3 packs L&M 198 baht. Stuck 200 in my pocket and dashed int town, only 2k. Went via MiL's so missed the checkpoint. Pulled on the way back. Joined the queue to pay the 100 baht fine and explained that I would have to phone the wife to bring the money and my licence. I even turned out my pockets to show that the rich farang only had 2 baht, some cigarettes and a slightly used tissue. Waited a long time because wife was in the shower and didn't answer the phone for 20 minutes. Police told everyone waiting to pay, or waiting for someone to bring money about the farang who only had two baht. All in all, we had a good craic.

None of this rubbish seems to happen if you live out in the sticks. I've been pulled twice for no helmet. First time, I was still working, and coming to see the family whenever I could. Pulled by the Highway police for no helmet, which I could hardly deny. No IDP, no Thai licence, I produced my warrant card. The officer could obviously read the word "police", and asked me what the second word was. For once, I was lightning quick and said colonel (well it's close enough to constable, I wasn't a high flyer). I got the Thai equivalent of "Thank you sir, mind how you go" and a smart salute.

Second time, now living here. Ran out of cigarettes. 3 packs L&M 198 baht. Stuck 200 in my pocket and dashed int town, only 2k. Went via MiL's so missed the checkpoint. Pulled on the way back. Joined the queue to pay the 100 baht fine and explained that I would have to phone the wife to bring the money and my licence. I even turned out my pockets to show that the rich farang only had 2 baht, some cigarettes and a slightly used tissue. Waited a long time because wife was in the shower and didn't answer the phone for 20 minutes. Police told everyone waiting to pay, or waiting for someone to bring money about the farang who only had two baht. All in all, we had a good craic.

"None of this rubbish seems to happen if you live out in the sticks." - none of this rubbish seems to happen if you live in Thailand, and not Phuket. biggrin.png

TIP - This Is Phuket. :)

Edited by NamKangMan

"None of this rubbish seems to happen if you live out in the sticks." - none of this rubbish seems to happen if you live in Thailand, and not Phuket. biggrin.png

TIP - This Is Phuket. smile.png

Sometimes it does.

Was working in the state of Maine a few years ago and we needed to go about 4 blocks to pickup some concrete steps (prefab type)

So, 4 of us jumped into a pickup truck to go the 4 blocks. 2 in the front, 2 in the back.

Sure enough a cop saw us and pulled us right over.

Got a ticket and a lashing out about safety as it's against the law in America to sit in the back of a pickup truck.

Then I see school buses here with a few hanging on the back, standing on the bumper.

Was stood on the corner of Soi Sansabai waiting to meet friends to go and eat and overheard the conversation between the cop and the rider, stood right next to us.

AFAIK helmet cameras are legal, would be nice to see the ticket, will probably say driving without helmet or license.

Not sure about that. It was a long conversation. Cop was telling him if he wanted to use a cam he should use a bike mounted one. Made the guy unstrap and take off the cam before letting him go saying 'safety, safety'. The cop's English was very good. No offer of settle there and then either. Trouble is we never know most of the time what they may have recently adopted recently.

Found myself in Tesco Lotus a few weeks back, looking for a motorcycle cover they didn't have. But they did have helmets, and a couple of women seemed intent on buying one. The 400-600 Baht variety. I took a moment to explain that none of the helmets were any good and that they should look at a particular local shop with a good selection and reasonable prices. My Thai isn't the best in the world, but they smiled and seemed to understand. Saw them looking at another helmet a few minutes later, so attempted explanation again. Took the helmet they were looking at, turned it over and showed them the seam running along the middle of the helmet from front to back, and explained that in an accident, the helmet would very likely break into two pieces and that the thing was trash. They did actually seem to understand what I was saying better after that, tho who knows... Had I gone back in five more minutes, they might have still been there looking.

All of which is just to say that given the extremely marginal quality of most Thai helmets, lectures about helmets from Thai cops involving the words "safety, safety" would ring extremely hollow. That said, there are different kinds of helmet cams and different ways to mount them. Some mounting styles/locations probably are a bit less safe than others, even on a good helmet, and mounting one on most Thai helmets would be rediculous. My camera mounts on a stalk on the side of my helmet, about cheek level. Given the structure of the mount, I'm sure that in any accident it would snap right off.

Have never been before a Thai judge, or whomever one would go in front of to plea one's case in traffic matters. But with regard to any Thai laws that might or might not exist, I would argue that if the law(s) are not clearly and widely promulgated to all interested parties, then the law in question does not exist. I don't know if such an argument woiuld hold up, but if one is not clearly made aware of a law in advance, one has no chance of obeying it, whatever it might be. There is no public value for "secret laws."

So far, the only relevant thing that comes up in a search on various ways of looking for "helmet cameras illegal Thailand" is this thread. I'll therefore stick with the idea that there are no specific laws here against helmet cameras. Only possibly something vague about unsafe modifications, and an individual policeman's perception that something specific was unsafe.

Edited by RedQualia

I would never put a camera on a helmet. Not if I wanted the helmet for protection, anyway.

The outer shell is supposed to stop penetrations.

Chemicals, solvents or adhesives can weaken the outer shell of a helmet, so if a camera was stuck on, the adhesive could weaken the outer shell.

And anything attached to the helmet would obviously have the potential to be driven through the shell on impact...

So chemically weakening the shell and attaching something that could be potentially driven thru the plastic, at the exact spot that you have weakened it, is not the best idea... if you wear the helmet for protection

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I guess you have never seen a gopro mount.

Proof that calling Thais stupid or using the acronym TIT is wrong.

No. That's right. In my original post, I said it spoils a nice ride into town. My choice.

The story is about what caused an accident, that otherwise would not have happened. Its not a rationale, just an observation on behalf of the pouncing of the politically correct and their punditry.

Experts in their fields. Anyway I knew as I posted it, it would draw the fires of ire.

Really of course, I should know better on the eve of my 70thbirthday but I was dragged out of a ditch by a tractor last week. Lets not start another accident story.

I hesitate to comment further in resistance to the ping pong of pettiness.

If I do go down on the road in Thailand, I will just be adding to statistics which are all for it, in the Land of Road Kill.

How do you know you wouldn't have had an accident? Sorry but your little anecdotes don't invalidate math and reason.

An accident can happen anytime and wearing a helmet significantly increases your chances of survival or not having major head injuries.

The fact you had an accident might have been triggered by you driving slowly but it had nothing whatsoever to do with your helmet apart from the fact that it saved your life. Got it?

In fact, you can drive faster with a full face helmet than without as your eyes are not constantly irritated.

Sure it's your choice to not wear a helmet and personally I couldn't care less if your brain was splattered on the road.

But don't come out with your stories and try to justify your actions. You don't have to. You do whatever you want.

If your intention was not to justify your actions then what purpose did the posting of the story have?

We can still point out that it's a stupid decision to ride without a helmet. You really can't argue with that.

It has nothing to do with judging, pedantic rules, political correctness or any of your other little attacks.

You seem to at least be able to reason to some degree. Try to not take this so personal and see the logic in the posts.

This is the problem with death statistic, they don't take into account the likes of people that think driving with an helmet means you should go slower than without. If you remove them then the death on road numbers are going to be very small.

Yes the road are dangerous for everyone, but at least 1000 times more for the normal folks who have no spacial awareness or understanding of basic logic.

Edited by bearpolar

This is the problem with death statistic, they don't take into account the likes of people that think driving with an helmet means you should go slower than without. If you remove them then the death on road numbers are going to be very small.

Yes the road are dangerous for everyone, but at least 1000 times more for the normal folks who have no spacial awareness or understanding of basic logic.

Another problem with the road death statistics in Thailand is they do not take into account those people who die in hospital, having been taken there after the accident.

Could you imaging Thailand's road death statistics if this was not the case?

Sunglasses as well. Should we outlaw sunglasses? What about long hair?

Dunno about the hair, but putting your hand up in front of your face is now definitely illegal. In fact, it is a requirement that you must remain fully visible at all times throughout your life, to provide effective ID to cover the happenstance of you deviating into criminal activity. It's the law.

'The law is an ass!'

No. That's right. In my original post, I said it spoils a nice ride into town. My choice.

The story is about what caused an accident, that otherwise would not have happened. Its not a rationale, just an observation on behalf of the pouncing of the politically correct and their punditry.

Experts in their fields. Anyway I knew as I posted it, it would draw the fires of ire.

Really of course, I should know better on the eve of my 70thbirthday but I was dragged out of a ditch by a tractor last week. Lets not start another accident story.

If I do go down on the road in Thailand, I will just be adding to statistics which are all for it, in the Land of Road Kill.

How do you know you wouldn't have had an accident? Sorry but your little anecdotes don't invalidate math and reason.

An accident can happen anytime and wearing a helmet significantly increases your chances of survival or not having major head injuries.

The fact you had an accident might have been triggered by you driving slowly but it had nothing whatsoever to do with your helmet apart from the fact that it saved your life. Got it?

In fact, you can drive faster with a full face helmet than without as your eyes are not constantly irritated.

Sure it's your choice to not wear a helmet and personally I couldn't care less if your brain was splattered on the road.

But don't come out with your stories and try to justify your actions. You don't have to. You do whatever you want.

If your intention was not to justify your actions then what purpose did the posting of the story have?

We can still point out that it's a stupid decision to ride without a helmet. You really can't argue with that.

It has nothing to do with judging, pedantic rules, political correctness or any of your other little attacks.

You seem to at least be able to reason to some degree. Try to not take this so personal and see the logic in the posts.

No, it's fine. He won't mind this, one bit.

No my friend I don't really mind any of this at all. I love these comments ". . don't come out with your stories .. . " That's fantastic! "Don't come out with your stories!" What a doozy diminutive directive that is. What about ". . my little attacks. . " I had no idea my mere words had such punch.

I am OK at maths and love to debate. Allusion to reasoning should include as many of the known facts as possible, and as all the known facts are anathema to a largish percentage of TV posters, its a road to avoid.

So the update is . . the trip back from town this evening was even better. My speedo doesn't work, I'm not sure what the top speed on my little Honda is but I have only ridden one way to town with the throttle wide open the whole way.

The sunset over the lake defied words to describe it. I'd had a beer, a game of frisbee, another drink on the south side of the lake at Sunny's bar. Got some fresh tasties at the Monday market and loaded up with my computer around my neck and shopping hanging off the bike, got home before I had to take my sunnies off. The evening bug fest has little flies getting in one's eyes. That's also a worry when you only have one good eye.

I was only passed by one Thai guy on another small bike, blatting along also without his helmet on.

Another human on the edge with the wind in his hair. Another statistic screaming for recognition in eisfeld's well ordered, logical world.

Dear friends. Some of us love a little danger. Some of us love a lot of it.

What a life!

I let reason out the door a long time ago and life is good.

The local fuzz just smile at me when I ride by. Good attitude from the cops.

Like eisfeld, they don't give a rats either.

More to the point eisfeld. You obviously gon't get it at all. 'nuff said podners.. . .

No my friend I don't really mind any of this at all. I love these comments ". . don't come out with your stories .. . " That's fantastic! "Don't come out with your stories!" What a doozy diminutive directive that is. What about ". . my little attacks. . " I had no idea my mere words had such punch.

I am OK at maths and love to debate. Allusion to reasoning should include as many of the known facts as possible, and as all the known facts are anathema to a largish percentage of TV posters, its a road to avoid.

So the update is . . the trip back from town this evening was even better. My speedo doesn't work, I'm not sure what the top speed on my little Honda is but I have only ridden one way to town with the throttle wide open the whole way.

The sunset over the lake defied words to describe it. I'd had a beer, a game of frisbee, another drink on the south side of the lake at Sunny's bar. Got some fresh tasties at the Monday market and loaded up with my computer around my neck and shopping hanging off the bike, got home before I had to take my sunnies off. The evening bug fest has little flies getting in one's eyes. That's also a worry when you only have one good eye.

I was only passed by one Thai guy on another small bike, blatting along also without his helmet on.

Another human on the edge with the wind in his hair. Another statistic screaming for recognition in eisfeld's well ordered, logical world.

What a life!

More to the point eisfeld. You obviously gon't get it at all. 'nuff said podners.. . .

Ok I guess that makes it extra clear, you don't have any proper arguments against what was said.

What a life!

Aarrghh. Looks like you read that dressing down with the wrong eye. First thing you did was come out with another story! And a composite one—lakes, beer, frisbies, wind. You just won't comply, that's your problem.

The evening bug fest has little flies getting in one's eyes.

Get some safety glasses for the flies, if you are still out before dusk.

Or even better, I got some glasses with autochromatic lenses, so I can just wear one pair day or night.

The evening bug fest has little flies getting in one's eyes.

Get some safety glasses for the flies, if you are still out before dusk.

Or even better, I got some glasses with autochromatic lenses, so I can just wear one pair day or night.

At last a positive human being. My sunnies are the best but when it gets dark I can't do it. Its not too bad, but yes the autochromatics are good. I do have a pair of almost clear sunnies but for some reason the wind gets right under them. Anyway. The weather is perfect up here for riding right now. Thanks streboris.

i saw loads of people with helmet cams in the US a couple of months ago. if it was illegal there, the police would be all over them, you can't get away with anything on the roads in the US

Where are we? IN THAILAND!!! Every Police Officer here give a shit on the US LAW!!!

Why americans think all the time that the US Law is the world law???

because it is generally, the common sense precedent

ROFL - like requiring all shopping trolleys to have seatbelts, and lovely bright PCX triangular (giving a bright yellow arrow indicating direction of turn) indicators must be replaced with silly plastic ones on stalks?

Common sense indeed.

In Alabama (Jasper) it's illegal for a man to beat his wife with a stick if the stick is fatter than his thumb.

Thank goodness it's not regarded as common sense - I need a big stick for my missus.