Sim cards at BKK airport for tourists.

fgmr

You can buy at AIS or True Traveler SIMs in Arrivals Hall between arrival gates 6 & 7 or at any branch of 7-11 supermarkets and in the own stores in most shopping malls. They start at B199 and include Internet from 500MB to 3GB depending on how much you pay for the card. You can top them up at any branch of 7-11, their stores. I have a Traveler SIM on one of my phones because I can telephone the UK, Australia and many countries in the World for only B1/minute.

Edited by Estrada

Often when leaving the plane there will be a few young ladies handing out free sims.

I have no idea of the operator or which services they provide but believe they are designed mainly for short term tourists.

Cheers.

Failing that most of the major operators have shops when you leave arrivals.

Edited by stoneyboy

Actually, I just realised that I picked up one of the free SIM card packets from the immigration officers' counter. It's DTAC and it states on the package "Register SIM card before usage." Now how is a just-arrived tourist supposed to know how to register the SIM card?

This is called a 'Happy Holiday SIM' and comes with 15 baht free.

So if I buy a SIM card upon arrival, how do I get it to work? Do I and can I register it at the airport? I know my old Thai Cell phone that I have not used in over one year will need a new SIM card. I typically just pick one up upon arrival so I have a working phone before I leave the airport.

Edited by gk10002000

Just did this for a friend the other day. There is a TrueMove booth just after you exit Customs. They sold him a SIM card (90 baht), registered it to his passport, put it in his phone and had him sorted in about five minutes. The SIM card came with 15 baht call credit, so he also bought top-up credit at the same time. Simple.

Just did this for a friend the other day. There is a TrueMove booth just after you exit Customs. They sold him a SIM card (90 baht), registered it to his passport, put it in his phone and had him sorted in about five minutes. The SIM card came with 15 baht call credit, so he also bought top-up credit at the same time. Simple.

Thanks for the response. That sounds reasonable. I wonder what pre-paid package it will be. 10baht/min to call USA? 5 baht/min? Over the years I got some that expired pretty quickly. I guess I will find out when I get there. I use an old fashioned voice and text phone. No data, no wifi needed nor wanted. I just use it for the occasional chat home since my USA phone and plan is really too costly to use overseas

Thanks

If you go ahead and get data access, you could then use Google Hangouts to call any number in the USA for free. I think True has a flat rate of unlimited data, per-day access of something like 45 baht/day.

I don't think that works with my primitive G3 network only voice and text phone. It is not a smart phone or anything like that.