farang food markets

stevehaigh

hi all, i'm moving up your way soon and wonder what shopping is going to be like in CR? do you have a makro? do you have anything like a villa market (i doubt that)

i'm specifically interested in things like tortillas and salsa, deli stuff like sliced turkey, romaine (cos) lettuce for salads, etc. not looking for restaurant, i eat at home.

thx

Chiang Rai is a bit primitive as compared to where you are now. You better forget Villa type foods as they are not available just a little in Tops. Makro here is all for Thais. You can also forget ever eating another good steak that would be bought from here including the 1500B/kg low class Australian beef that Tops sometimes sell. If you want to enjoy life in Chiang Rai then you need to eat what is available here which is great. We do have 2 farang so called restaurants here so you can forget about eating out of the house. Life here is wonderful if you can accept what it is. Serenity and natural beauty surrounded by wonderful Thai people. In this entire province there is only about 700 resident farangs so your buddies will be pretty limited. WELCOME BUT FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

Don is probably just having a bad day as things are not as dire as he makes out.

We have Makro, BigC and Tops and a few smalltime farang operators who cater to the whims of certain nationalities. Chiang Mai is a great place to visit, with a scenic drive through the mountains to get there, so a periodic supply run is something to look forward to in my opinion.
We do have local romaine and you could even buy and cook your own turkey if you want it fresh instead of prepackaged. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what we have after you get your bearings.

it sounds great, i know the vegies are way better up north than here in Phuket since all our vegies have spent a few days in a truck getting here. on the other hand, we have way better (and cheaper) sea food so i know i'm going to miss that, just have to live with it and get the frozen stuff from Makro.

i'm really looking forward to the change of pace up there, should be fun, maybe i'll run into some of you.

Chiang Rai is blessed with nice people, great fruits and vegetables. We grow our own vegetables, fish and ducks along with avocados and many different types of fruits. I came here first 29 years ago and fell in love with the place. I started planning to retire here many years ago. I purchased my compound 13 years ago and finally retired at age 81 last year. For sure I have given up the corporate world. My small farm keeps me occupied.

Chiang Rai is a small town so if you go to the mall regularly you are going to bump into people. Except for a cadre of individuals who live in town we tend to be spread over a vast area. That said, I live 55 km from town but on two visits to town this week I bumped into people I knew and we had nice chats. If you are an active person and enjoy things like tennis, golf, cycling, motorcycles or the gym, etc. you will meet people doing the things you normally enjoy doing.

We have a couple of nice European style delis as well, selling cheese, sausage, bread etc.

One behind Aye's Restaurant which also does organic salad veg and gluten free bread, then Kurt's Chiang Rai Deli not far out on the Doi Hang road... call in on the way to Don's, it's the same road.

Good fruit and veg in season behind the main day market, along the temple wall.

You can even forget your bag there with ipad, phone and brand new passport and the ladies will keep it for you until your panic stricken return. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

We have a couple of nice European style delis as well, selling cheese, sausage, bread etc.

One behind Aye's Restaurant which also does organic salad veg and gluten free bread, then Kurt's Chiang Rai Deli not far out on the Doi Hang road... call in on the way to Don's, it's the same road.

Good fruit and veg in season behind the main day market, along the temple wall.

You can even forget your bag there with ipad, phone and brand new passport and the ladies will keep it for you until your panic stricken return. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I am sure that is just a story you heard repeated somewhere.biggrin.png

Chiang Rai is getting better for food supplies. At the big indoor market behind the east stage of the Night Bazaar, I've found large portions of soft tofu for sale, as well as yellow and red sweet peppers at 1/4 the price of Makro or Central. The availability of farang-type breads is mega better than it used to be just 10 years ago. Still, I wouldn't mind finding sourdough rye. And why can't C.Rai get an Indian or Mexican restaurant?