Apply For A O-visa ?

My wife and I are currently living in Holland. We have plans to move to Thailand and live there happily ever after.

I intend to apply for a O-visa (falang married to a Thai citizen), but as far as I know, I will have to have a Thai bank-account holding at least THB 400.000.

My question is: Can I go to Thailand for a short holiday and open a bank-account over there although I’m holding a tourist-visa at that time ?

Come back to Holland and than apply for the O-visa ?

In case I can open a bank-account, can I use the local address e.g. of my mother-in-law in Thailand or do I have to use my own address here in Holland ?

Thanks in advance.

Edge.

My wife and I are currently living in Holland. We have plans to move to Thailand and live there happily ever after.

I intend to apply for a O-visa (falang married to a Thai citizen), but as far as I know, I will have to have a Thai bank-account holding at least THB 400.000.

try and get a non immigrant O visa from a thai consulate before you come to thailand since you are married to a thai citizen. after that, apply for a one year extension from thai immigration , that will require a bank balance and/or income to show support. then each year keep getting a new one year extension. when you do leave thailand, get a re entry permit before leaving to keep your extension valid.

In case I can open a bank-account, can I use the local address e.g. of my mother-in-law in Thailand or do I have to use my own address here in Holland ?

your new bank account will need an address in thailand

There is no need for any money to obtain a non immigrant visa from your local Thai Consulate. Once here in Thailand you can open a bank account and transfer funds within the 90 days allowed on that visa and then apply for extension of your stay at immigration here.

Lopburi3 and huski,

Thanks for the information.

It's easier than I thought !

So in this case, I have only 90 days to earn at least THB 400.000 ! Maybe I will bring some pills and at customs have a little bit more luck than those british guys .......... (just kidding !).

I only have to send at least THB 400.000 to my new Thai bank-account (from abroad) within 90 days.

Thanks again !

The Dutchie and his wife and children (also having Thai passports) are on their way to =================> Thailand !

Lopburi3 and huski,

Thanks for the information.

It's easier than I thought !

So in this case, I have only 90 days to earn at least THB 400.000 ! Maybe I will bring some pills and at customs have a little bit more luck than those british guys .......... (just kidding !).

I only have to send at least THB 400.000 to my new Thai bank-account (from abroad) within 90 days.

Thanks again !

The Dutchie and his wife and children (also having Thai passports) are on their way to =================> Thailand !

Go for the O visa rather than the O-A . It is much easier to handle inside Thailand

:o on the subject of O (Farang married to Thai citizen) visas, once you have gotten your 90 day "O" visa from the consulate outside of Thailand,

1.)Do you then apply in Thailand for the one year visa?

2.)If so, once you have an approved "O" visa good for one year are visa runs required every 90 days or does the required reporting form eliminate the need for leaving the country every 90 days.

3.) In other words, what type of 1 year visa will eliminate these visa runs, O-A Married to Thai, or O-A Retired?

Dr PP

On the Thaivisa.com page left side, I read.

Non Imm.visa O

Marriage visa O-A

and so on and so on

Now I am confused :o

O and O-A actually do the same things Dutch ... ie. retirement or marriage.The A only means pre approved, so you get a one year stay on first arrival in Thailand. You, as I understand it, are going down the O-A road, and for you, with friends in the Thai Embassy in Jakarta, it seems the way for you. Police clearances, medical, etc together with notarized documents in triplicate can be easily done there, and you have the time. Others will be delayed in getting the documentation, so it is easier to do in Thailand. The medical is simple, quick and cheap in Thailand, the police clearances are not asked for, and you open a bank account with any bank in Thailand with the required funds, and apply for an extension of the O visa obtained abroad.

on the subject of O (Farang married to Thai citizen) visas

1. You apply in Thailand for a one year extension of your stay when your 90 day visa gets down to the last 30 days. You do this at an immigration office using marriage/wife/financial records/photos and of course your passport/visa and 1,900 baht extension request form.

2. You obtain an "extension of stay" stamp which is not a visa. You do not have to make any visa runs, ever, if you keep the process alive. Just make the 90 day address reports and obtain a re entry permit prior to any out of country trips.

3. Both retirement and marriage support based extensions eliminate visa runs. The "A" suffix indicates the extension is pre approved for the first year stay so you don't have to make the immigration visit/process until the second year. I am not sure they do this pre approval for support (marriage) but even for retirement it is often easier to do the process here - just come with a non immigrant or tourist visa and file for extension of stay at immigration.