Searching for a silversmith

Virtualrecluse

I want to commission a one-off piece of jewelry, a pendant. I've been to two of the silver shops in Chiang Mai's famed "silver" zone, Wulai Road, and been quoted 2500 baht in both, saying they had to go to the trouble of asking their smith to make a mold that would then be thrown away after one use. A European friend who knows about making silver jewelry has informed me that an artisan smith should be able to do this without a mold, and obviously, quite a lot cheaper. Can anyone confirm this? Even better, can anyone tell me where I can locate one in CM?

The design will determine the best technique to create the work as you have envisioned it.

The need to make a mold is largely dependent on the design of the piece. If the work can be formed from flat stock (sheetmetal and rod etc), then it could be assembled

using solder techniques. Though quicker, this technique limits the final design and does not allow for as much customization as the lost wax or 3D printing techniques.

A good silversmith can doe great work with flat stock, though it may take longer than the same work done in Lost Wax.

If the work is intricate and has an organic or flowing design it is usually best created using the lost wax process. The design is first created in wax that allows the jeweler to make many changes, carve the work and finish the wax to achieve the final design. The wax master is then used to create a mold and the final piece is cast from the mold.

The final price will be determined by the total quantity of metal used and the labor involved to create the work.

If the work is intricate and/ or organic in design, it may be possible to make it from flat stock though the increased time needed to achieve the final design and the loss of metal from additional forming may offset any savings. The Lost Wax process is the most common technique used as it is reliable and produces the best results. The work is typically a single piece of metal that is durable and does not have any traces left of the soldering and assembly process.

At the end of the day, the cost of 2500 Baht could be very reasonable, with the final factor being are you happy with the result?

Cheers,

Troy

----------------

Working Artist
BFA Sculpture

BFA Metals and Jewelry

Edited by Wanderer555