DNS lookup query- and the result

bluesofa

I set my PC to use Open DNS (having problem doing that with my router), so in W7, both my wireless and ethernet propertieswere amended to reflect this.

I used the test page for Open DNS and it told me I was indeed using their DNS server.

As a final check, I tried the UK newspaper that is blocked, purely to make sure my DNS lookup went via Open DNS, no other reason. It failed and had the green ICT blocked page.

There followed some discussion with Open DNS support, they said that it should be OK to change the PC lookup if I couldn't change the router. They asked me to send some specific DOS nslookup results.

Open DNS support finally said that "your ISP blocks it by other means than DNS, e.g. with DPI (deep packet inspection). There's nothing you can do against except to use a web proxy or a VPN service."

I have no idea how DPI works, not that I'm interested in using some other method anyway, but it appears that using a non-Thai based DNS lookup isn't necessarily going to give you impartial results.

I have noticed some problems recently too Bluesofa with skygo

Mind you that and the daily mail - we can probably get by without !

I wouldn't disagree with you on that at all.

It was purely that I remembered reading it had been blocked, so was an easy way to check the DNS lookup.

Archived