Haze persists in southern region

Lite Beer

Haze persists in southern region

SONGKHLA, 3 October 2015 (NNT) – Many areas in the southern provinces of Thailand are experiencing prolonged haze conditions, while Indonesia has declined Singapore' offer to help mitigate the situation.

Areas in the southern region, including Hat Yai and Betong Districts, are still under the effect of the persisting haze, caused by the wildfire in Sumatra, Indonesia. Air quality under the effect of the haze is considered a health hazard.

The Director of the Regional Environmental Office 16 in Songkhla Halem Halem J.Marigan has revealed that the situation in Hat Yai is the most severe as air quality has fallen into a risk category, with the airborne particulate matter (PM10) value reading between 110-130 micrograms per cubic meter during peak hours, with daily mean readings at 55. A healthy PM10 value should not exceed 120 micrograms per cubic meter.

Obstacles in visibility from the haze has not affected aviation, all flights are reportedly operating as normal at the Hay Yai Airport. Road users in some areas are encouraged use their headlamps.

Singapore's Ministry of Environment and Water Resources has proposed to help Indonesia mitigate the wildfire issue, which was declined by Indonesian authorities, saying officials have sufficient resources to deal with the matter at this time.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-03 footer_n.gif

I'm down in KL today...

This is the view from the office...

I can smell and taste the smoke... It's disgusting that Indonesia allows this to happen.

[517524379attachment=342045:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1443862413.540944.jpg]

As Stocky said above, it's bad today....I would say less visibility than in your photo.

this pollution has been going on for some time I did read somewhere that it is caused by wildfires which the authorities are unable to deal with and they have declined help from other countries saying they can deal with the problem ?

They obviously can't deal with the problem, but they can't trust that outsiders won't post photos of burnt orangutans or the vast swathes of rainforest that have disappeared under the conflagration.

BOYCOTT Indonesian palm oil!!!!!

Visibility down to a few hundred meters today at Wang Prachan ..... Thai PM doesn't seem to say anything to Indo though....... Disgraceful

It is so bad, and has been going on for so long, it has to be having an effect on crops. Sunlight is reduced considerably. The PM should be threatening taking legal action at the ICC or UN.

this pollution has been going on for some time I did read somewhere that it is caused by wildfires which the authorities are unable to deal with and they have declined help from other countries saying they can deal with the problem ?

They obviously can't deal with the problem, but they can't trust that outsiders won't post photos of burnt orangutans or the vast swathes of rainforest that have disappeared under the conflagration.

BOYCOTT Indonesian palm oil!!!!!

Exactly what would be the right thing to do. !!!!!!!

But nobody will do anything.

Instead we continue producing big cars as we have environmental friendly fuel by adding palm oil.bah.gif

In which world we are living?

Visibility down to a few hundred meters today at Wang Prachan ..... Thai PM doesn't seem to say anything to Indo though....... Disgraceful

Singapore probably gets it worse and they haven't been able to get the Indo gov to put a stop to it.

But you guys do have my sympathies--we up here in the north get it every year around March/April.

In Nakon Sri Thammarat province for a few days - in Khanom, exactly, north of the province - the sky is grey/white, the sea, the same color and shooting beautiful photos is quasi impossible ;

Must use a program ( FastStone for me) to have some improvement .

21846748358_3ef882ec81_b.jpg