PH low in pond

offset

I have a 1600 sq mtre pond with some small fish in it but I have found the PH to be only 4 how and what can I use to increase the PH, I have been told I can use chicken manure to increase the PH but I am not sure whether I should use it and how much I should use, has anybody heard or this remedy before

Edited by offset

Mix in a compound that raises the pH value, such as calcium carbonate, limestone or eggshells. Pond supply stores carry a number of pH-raising products for this purpose. Add the pH-raising compound in small amounts, to keep from making the water too alkaline, which will create an additional problem.thumbsup.gif

pH 4 is very low, actually the fish should be dead already. How did you measure it? Maybe something wrong with your method or equipment.

I use a PH liquid tester that I got from the place I brought the fingerlings from he used the same thing to test all his ponds and he showed me how to use the tester. The water in my pond is very clear which made the man I brought the fish from think the PH was low he did not want to sell me the fish but as I already got some fish in the pond I said that I would take a chance and see if they lived it was him that told me to use chicken manure to increase the PH

Okay, usually the drop tests are correct. Just correct the pH as mentioned in post #2. Hope your fingerlings survive! If not, just adjust to the suitable pH until it's stable for a few days and restock. Good luck!

Where is your water coming from? pH 4 is really low.

It is underground water I do not fill the pond with any water I just let it rise and full with the amount of rain that falls in the dry season the depth the pond is about 2.5 meters deep and is about 6 meters now I have put some chicken manure in it like I was recommended to do and the PH as risen to about 5 in 3 days and the water as now changed from a light blue colour to more of a green colour. The larger pond that I have has a PH of about 5.5 this water is feed the same way but that is a much older pond and have many larger fish in it and they seem to be growing ok