Four people killed after truck crashes into taxi in Phetchaburi province

webfact

Four people killed after truck crashes into taxi in Phetchaburi province

crash.jpg
Image: khaosod.co.th

PHETCHABURI: Four people have been killed following a road traffic accident in the Ban Lat area of Phetchaburi province.

The accident happened on Sunday night when a large truck crashed into a taxi on the Bangkok bound side of the the Phetkasem highway.

According to Khaosod, the truck had been travelling at high speed and in very wet conditions when it hit the back of the taxi. The impact resulted in the taxi colliding with an electrical pole on the side of the road.

Among those killed were three women and a two year old child.

Four other people who were also travelling in the taxi were injured and taken to the nearby Phra Chom Klao hospital in Phetchaburi town for further treatment.

Reports say the group travelling in the taxi had been returning from the popular beach resort of Cha Am, located in the south of Phetchaburi province.

Police have launched a full investigation.

tvn.png
-- 2015-10-05

Women and babies slaughtered by these murderous Thai truck drivers.

I live in Hua Hin, the whole area is under construction. Giant cement trucks everywhere.

I almost got nailed on my scooter again today. EVERYDAY. SAME SAME.

If you are reading this and are thinking of coming to Thailand, don't. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

Edited by NCC1701A

I live in Hua Hin, the whole area is under construction. Giant cement trucks everywhere.

If you are reading this and are thinking of coming to Thailand, don't. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

You're a brave man riding a scooter in Hua Hin......a traffic nightmare everyday!

Whilst advising people not to come to Thailand, you ignore your own advice and choose to live in Thailand, and many here say the Thai's are stupid.

this will continue as long as we dont have police on the roads pulling over the idiots, issuing real fines for breaches of the road rules and seizing vehicles of drunken offenders.The truck drivers are hopeless, most have no idea how to drive, the race each other through busy traffic, cut everyone off, do as they please and drive flat stick. The only way the roads will get better is if the police start doing what they are paid for and put a presence on the roads to stop all the sh*t,they also need to make drivers actually drive in traffic before they can get a licence as most have no idea at all.

Whilst advising people not to come to Thailand, you ignore your own advice and choose to live in Thailand, and many here say the Thai's are stupid.

i have no choice but to live in this poor copy of a Mad Max movie, but many people reading this forum are thinking about coming here, and they need to know the truth about the carnage and the very real dangers of just crossing the street.

In a country with one of the highest highway mortality rates in the world and a police department that exists in name only how is this even news?

A nonsense comment! OMG how could you say this?

I heard/read recently that RTP is one of best police force in world! blink.png

RIP to the deceased, condolences to family and friends and a speedy recovery to those injured.

Would the Government listen to the people if a petition was started to stop this daily carnage. Yesterday my wife showed me a pciture of an accident near our shop which again was between a scooter & truck. It was very messy & the truck driver did not stop. No matter what, it is human instinct to stop & help people who are injured, programmed into the brain. The Thais must not have this instinct as too many flee. I am sick of seeing this every day.

You're a brave man riding a scooter in Hua Hin......a traffic nightmare everyday!

This is a terrible tragedy where irresponsible driving by the truck driver seems to have caused the incident and overcrowding in the taxi may have contributed to the extent of the disaster. However I think that asking foreigners to boycott Thailand is a bit over the top - especially in capital letters. While acknowledging that Thailand has a dreadful road toll I don't think that it is the only country in which heavy trucks are a menace. For example, the situation in Australia is scandalous with huge "double B' articulated lorries/semi trailers sharing inadequate roads with other traffic particularly in rural Australia. Heavy trucks cause numbers of raod fatalities completely disproportionate with their numbers. Such is the power of the road transport lobby that transport companies are allowed to operate under conditions that risk the lives of other road users, these have included operating over huge distances, drivers who are often subcontractors under the influence of drugs, driving over the mandatory speed limits, especially on secondary roads driving without adequate rest, drivers who are unfit to drive and, of course inadequate supervision. The sad part is that this situation has been allowed to develop because Australia lacks an integrated transport system. The road transport industry is heavily subsidized in that it bears far less burden for road infrastructure than private drivers The excellent rail system has been allowed to deteriorate while highways used by heavy transport are developed, to the extent that it is uneconomic to transport anything other than goods without delivery deadlines. This represents a transfer of wealth from the public to the road lobby

Finally while truck drivers, who normally survive these types of incidents have been tried in the courts and punished the real culprits including the large food retailers and suppliers who set deadlines are never brought to account. This is corruption Aussie style- very discrete and probably legal.

Even in busy BKK-traffic the sandtrucks with trailer drive 100 km/hr on the right-side lane not caring for anybody else. In the meantime i see huge lumps of clay falling out on the roads (which will clog the drains).

The police is busy stopping motorcycles who don't drive totally left where the taxi's and bahtbuses stop without indicating.

This is a terrible tragedy where irresponsible driving by the truck driver seems to have caused the incident and overcrowding in the taxi may have contributed to the extent of the disaster. However I think that asking foreigners to boycott Thailand is a bit over the top - especially in capital letters. While acknowledging that Thailand has a dreadful road toll I don't think that it is the only country in which heavy trucks are a menace. For example, the situation in Australia is scandalous with huge "double B' articulated lorries/semi trailers sharing inadequate roads with other traffic particularly in rural Australia. Heavy trucks cause numbers of raod fatalities completely disproportionate with their numbers. Such is the power of the road transport lobby that transport companies are allowed to operate under conditions that risk the lives of other road users, these have included operating over huge distances, drivers who are often subcontractors under the influence of drugs, driving over the mandatory speed limits, especially on secondary roads driving without adequate rest, drivers who are unfit to drive and, of course inadequate supervision. The sad part is that this situation has been allowed to develop because Australia lacks an integrated transport system. The road transport industry is heavily subsidized in that it bears far less burden for road infrastructure than private drivers The excellent rail system has been allowed to deteriorate while highways used by heavy transport are developed, to the extent that it is uneconomic to transport anything other than goods without delivery deadlines. This represents a transfer of wealth from the public to the road lobby

Finally while truck drivers, who normally survive these types of incidents have been tried in the courts and punished the real culprits including the large food retailers and suppliers who set deadlines are never brought to account. This is corruption Aussie style- very discrete and probably legal.

Yeah truckers can be dangerous anywhere. But your comparison fails. Just google world-wide traffic deaths per capita, see where Thailand comes in vs. Aus or other places.

I agree with many comments here, especially the police lack of involvement bringing the guilty to account.

On a positive note I had the opportunity to look at a very large transport company and its policies this week and I was pleasantly surprised to examine their

vehicle/driver tracking system and learn their company policy was 3 speeding offences ( shown on computer with a maximum speed of 65kph) and the driver lost his/her job.

This is a real step in the right direction.

If only we could extend this to tachographs and limited driving hours, trucks would be so much safer.

I agree with many comments here, especially the police lack of involvement bringing the guilty to account.

On a positive note I had the opportunity to look at a very large transport company and its policies this week and I was pleasantly surprised to examine their

vehicle/driver tracking system and learn their company policy was 3 speeding offences ( shown on computer with a maximum speed of 65kph) and the driver lost his/her job.

This is a real step in the right direction.

If only we could extend this to tachographs and limited driving hours, trucks would be so much safer.

Add in random blood tests for substances etc

And a yearly eyesight test to drive a hgv or dangerous vehicle carrying flammable etc