Blurry photos on mini

cheeryble

I went on a big Mac forum wight his yesterday and no answers so I come here where I've had good answers before. Below is my post and my follow up

I have an ipad mini with minimum memory, about 13gb?

Not new and badly cracked screen but I think that’s irrelevant it all works and will take the latest OS.

Something odd’s happened with the photos collection.

The latest say about 100 photos all look clear, but before that the photos look fuzzy.
ALL the thumbnails look clear.

Some of the photos have a little exclamation mark in a circle in the bottom right, and some have a little circle which starts loading then when it’s full changes to the complete non fuzzy photo.

This has never happened until recently.

It’s a bit of a nuisance.

Anything I can do?

(ps have about 1.7gb of memory free......more than sometimes in the past.....and nearly updated I think I’m on 9.0.1)

Thanks!

My follow up :

I think this is something to do with me getting iCloud working.

It's as if it's loading from the cloud.
Trouble is most photos just get the exclamation mark and you can sit on your arse waiting for it to load as long as you like.
Another funny thing I've found at least one photo in the "older" ones which is NOT blurry.

Next thing i'll do is test whether if I send a blurry photo email it comes out full res or not or have to wait before sending.....but I'm only allowed one device on this network and it's the Macbook right now.

Any advice TVers?

It sounds like you've got your photos stored in the iCloud - easily checked on you iPad by going settings -> iCloud and seeing if Photos is set to on

If photos is set to on then there are additional settings that can be accessed

You have the choice of optimise iPad storage or download and keep originals

It now depends on the size of your photos library and the storage available on your iPad

Currently it sounds like you will have optimise storage selected - this means that over unused photos are stored at low resolution on your iPad and will look 'blurry' until you select them and download them.

The iPad will automatically replace older, downloaded photos with the low res version if space gets tight on your iPad

If you don't have a lot of other stuff stored on your iPad and your photos library is relatively small in size the you can select download and keep originals

This will take time and so you might want to don't o we night if you can only have one device attached at a time

A wonderful answer Narked Diver and it is indeed on optimise storage.

I guess this started when I got iCloud going properly the other day with a view to backing up for a screen change.

Funny thing is even though i have the lowest memory Mini by making sure I don't store videos (I store elsewhere) and even more importantly keep my podcasts from becoming too many I have always managed to get along with a gig or two of storage free and that's with the full res photos.

Being able to see read and show photos is an important function i think so i shall try to do what you say.

I'll wipe everything possible to free up space and try download and keep.

Thanx so much

​ps Could you please answer my other topic about iPad screen?tongue.png

pps

​If you are fully iClouded it doesn't try to put all the photos from iPad to Macbook AND VICE VERSA does it?

Now that would cram up the iPad about ten times over.

Edited by cheeryble

A wonderful answer Narked Diver and it is indeed on optimise storage.

I guess this started when I got iCloud going properly the other day with a view to backing up for a screen change.

Funny thing is even though i have the lowest memory Mini by making sure I don't store videos (I store elsewhere) and even more importantly keep my podcasts from becoming too many I have always managed to get along with a gig or two of storage free and that's with the full res photos.

Being able to see read and show photos is an important function i think so i shall try to do what you say.

I'll wipe everything possible to free up space and try download and keep.

Thanx so much

​ps Could you please answer my other topic about iPad screen?tongue.png

pps

​If you are fully iClouded it doesn't try to put all the photos from iPad to Macbook AND VICE VERSA does it?

Now that would cram up the iPad about ten times over.

I had a look at your other thread and I'm not an expert on these things I'm afraid

I would say back your iPad up to the iCloud but also do an encrypted back up to iTunes on your Mac as well - an encrypted back up should store app passwords and that sort of thing as well

If you plug your iPad into your Mac via a USB cable then the back up and restore will be quicker than using the iCloud back up but it's good to have both

As I understand it the cloud combines all the photos from your Mac and your iPad and stores the full size version of these photos in the cloud

Both the Mac and the iPad have the option to store the full size version of the photos locally or a low res version locally

If you're full size photo library on the Mac is 20gb then the full size photo library will be 20gb on your iPad once you switch to keeping the full version on your iPad

So if you have iCloud photos turned on on your Mac as well as on your iPad and the Mac library is larger than the space available on your iPad then you won't be able to have the full version on your iPad

Thanks ND

I think you're saying if I have both devices backing up to iCloud the photo libraries from each merge to one large one.

I'd actually like to keep them separate, don't need IE historical pics can be on MacBook but on iPad just happening stuff I need regularly and on the go.

Not possible?

I think the only way to do it would be to have two separate iCloud's accounts and back your iPad photos to one and your Mac to the other but that may bring about other issues.

Thinking about it a bit more you could set up two photos libraries on your Mac - a new, empty one which you backup to the same iCloud's account as your iPad - this will then sync with your iPad and download your iPad photos from the iCloud

Your existing Mac library your would chose not to back up to the iCloud

If you wanted a photo from your Mac library to be on your iPad you could just copy it from your Mac library to your iCloud library and then it would sync up to your iCloud account and then down to your iPad

I think this would work but I would recommend backing everything up first ;)

Maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in with a better idea ;)