Vientiane to Khon Kaen Bus

Sporting Dog

We (me, wife and daughter) are travelling from Vientiane to Khon Kaen early next year.

I saw some posts (from 2008) that mentioned a non stop bus from Vientiane to Khon kaen. It used to leave quite early (8am)

Does anyone know if it still runs?

We are actually coming from Vang Vieng - need to decide whether to stop in Vientiane for a night or go straight across the border to Nong Khai and stay the night.

Then either hire a car or bus it from NK to KK.

Any info welcomed - or advice/ suggestions.

Thx

Hello Sporting Dog,

Yes the International bus is still running from Vientaine to Khon Kaen. We did this bus Vientaine to Udon Thani late last week and everything was smooth. The contact number is 042-211489 who could give you times and cost.

Regards,

James.d

Thanks James,

Info above and beyond what I was hoping for.

We'll probably stay the night in VN and bus straight thru to KK - better Vn than NK as I need every day of the 15 days I get when going overland into Thailand.

And thanks for the info from the others - not sure how and when we'll get from LP-VV-Vn - just need to be in KK by a certain date.

cheers

Edited by Sporting Dog

In Vientiane the New Boutique Rose Hotel is 55usd per night and has a good breakfast (big rooms with extra bed if needed). The hotels van will drop you off at the bus station for the KK bus as well. or it's about a 600 meter walk. Enjoy your travels in Laos!