To pump or not to pump

Sophon

Shortly after we moved into our new house last year, we had a 1,000 liter water tank and a 250 watt pump installed to make sure that we have a reliable water supply. The content of the tank will last us 2-3 days should the village water supply be off for an extended period. However, so far there have been no major interruption of the supply, and the water pressure is also quite good except for the last month or two of the dry season (where we still had water, but the pressure was down). Actually, the water pressure is just as good when bypassing the tank and pump and switching to direct village water supply.

This leads me to my question. Would you continue to lead the water through the tank and pump, or would you bypass them when the water pressure is good (which would be most of the time) in order to save electricity and wear and tear on the pump? To make sure that the water in the tank stays fresh and clean and the pump doesn't cease up I am thinking of maybe using direct supply on weekdays and switch to the tank/pump on weekends.

So what would you do? Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Sophon

We bypass whenever we can (just two control valves that are near each other) but the pump is needed for showers, washer, and any 2nd floor use. So, I would estimate 75% pump. For sure it will save on the electric bill. Depending on your tank type, you probably don't need to worry about water quality when not used for a while but can put in a few caps of bleach if you have concerns.

i have a similar set up except the pipework allows me to isolate the pump from the main supply

and feed the house direct or isolate the mains and use the tank and pump or use the mains and pump together shutting off the tank feed the system requires only 3 valves as far as the tank water goes we use the rain water roof run off

and in the dry season top up the tank from the mains

If you make a bypass with a non-return valve (actually use 2 to ensure no leaks) then put the pump on a 7 day timer you have a fully automated system that keeps the pump alive and the tank fresh.

We bypass whenever we can (just two control valves that are near each other) but the pump is needed for showers, washer, and any 2nd floor use. So, I would estimate 75% pump. For sure it will save on the electric bill. Depending on your tank type, you probably don't need to worry about water quality when not used for a while but can put in a few caps of bleach if you have concerns.

Our living area is on the second floor (the dogs live downstairs), but the village water pressure is still strong enough for our showers (and as mentioned just as strong as when using the pump). The water tank is of the "sand stone" plastic tank type and is located in a dedicated water tank room, so there should not be much in the way of algae growth.

Any ideas about whether it's bad for the pump not to be used for extended periods of time?

Sophon

i have a similar set up except the pipework allows me to isolate the pump from the main supply

and feed the house direct or isolate the mains and use the tank and pump or use the mains and pump together shutting off the tank feed the system requires only 3 valves as far as the tank water goes we use the rain water roof run off

and in the dry season top up the tank from the mains

Sounds like you have the same set-up as me, two valves to isolate the tank and pump (one before the tank and one after the pump) and a third one to open/close the direct route from the mains.

Sophon

If you make a bypass with a non-return valve (actually use 2 to ensure no leaks) then put the pump on a 7 day timer you have a fully automated system that keeps the pump alive and the tank fresh.

We will soon be building a small building next to our well to house a pump to get water from the well to the water tank (so that we have two alternative water sources). When that is finished, I will need to use the water tank and house pump any time we want to use well water. I don't know yet to what extend we will be using well water over the village supply, that will depend on the qualify of the water and the reliability of the supplies. For now I don't mind switching around manually between the different sources.

So are there no negative consequences of leaving your pump inactive for extended periods of time (filled with water)?

Sophon

Isn't there way to set this up so that the water pressure determines pump or direct feed ?

I constantly flow through the tanks the water does not stagnate have a diverted just before pump cutting pump out of loop but I do divert through pump once a month for an hour so as to flush that loop out or if water is off in village