Barriers put in place to stop illegal u-turn at Phuket underpass

webfact

Barriers put in place to stop illegal u-turn at Phuket underpass
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1444278079_1-org.jpg
Workers from the Highways Department place the barriers to stop motorists making the dangerous illegal u-turns.

PHUKET: -- Phuket highway officers together with Vichit traffic police on Tuesday (Oct 6) placed post road barriers at the south end of the Darasamuth underpass where a number of motorists took the risk of making illegal u-turns, some of which have resulted in accidents.

Prior to the posts being installed there was a large space between a row of concrete road barriers and the entrance/exit of the underpass and some motorists travelling south along bypass road chose to make the illegal u-turns in that space.

Speaking to The Phuket News on Tuesday, chief of the Vichit Traffic Police, Pol Col Siripong Wongsanpet said, “This line of barriers is already working very well. Cars and bigger vehicles are now finding it impossible to make illegal u-turn at that point.”

He also stated that the barriers would have been placed there sooner, however, the reason for the delay was that they wanted to use plastic barriers rather than concrete as they would be safer for motorist. Using concrete barriers would also not be in accordance with the original underpass construction plans.

“We have had to cooperate with the Phuket Highway Office who are allocated the budget to buy these barriers. They are a lot safer for motorist who may accidentally crash into them,” Col Siripong added.

Col Siripong concluded by giving a warning to any motorist who want to continue to try yto make the illegal u-turns.

“Any vehicle that makes an illegal u-turn will face a fine of between B400 – B1,000. Right now if any car or bigger vehicle makes the illegal u-turn they will face the highest fine,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/barriers-put-in-place-to-stop-illegal-u-turn-at-phuket-underpass-54448.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-08

Yet i keep seeing bikes doing it anyways and almost getting rammed(usualy women who look scared as hell the whole time they are waiting and getting honked)

Just put a police officer there for a few weeks untill people learn to drive 50m further for the easy u turn

Edited by bearpolar

If those barriers like all the barriers erected on Thailand road they will not last,

I have seen huge concrete blocks appear and disappear few weeks later

as if by magic on many

roads around Bkk and the surroundings,,, traffic barriers are just a very short

solution to a real problem....

Good that they do it, its seriously dangerous to have motorbikes coming to a stop on the most right lane of that piece of highway.

But i doubt those plastic poles will help much. As soon as one pole misses there is enough space to go through again and it all starts over.

" they wanted to use plastic barriers rather than concrete as they would be safer for motorist". What a load of tripe. If a motorist hit a concrete barrier then they will only hurt themselves and maybe a following vehicle or two (all traveling in the same direction at a similar speed). On the other hand, if a motorist goes through a plastic post into the oncoming traffic, the chances of serious injury are at least a magnitude greater.

Same all over Thailand - where I used to live one muppet in pickup did illegal uturn - no indication-2 scooters slammed into the side of him - I swerved - caught corner of his truck fractured collarbone - and then he just drove off - maybe he was deaf!!! and police stood 20 metres away did FA

Not effective. Yesterday saw a pickup with big mags disrupting the traffic trying to get into the underpass while he was waiting & then made the U turn. The plastic poles go nearly to the entrance of the underpass so any 4 wheeled vehicle attempting U turn makes it highly dangerous.

Bikes will ignore it, as they do the cones at Chalong Circle. Very close to hitting a bike yesterday that drove through the cones to get to Chaofa East when I was exiting Chaofa West. Not the first time and I'm sure there must have been accidents with bikes doing this.