On Nut market will be closed in a week

LiorW

I came a cross a post, from one of the vandores there, on Facebook, saying they just got a one week in advance notification.

What a shame sad.png . I really like the place. The food is very good there and lots of varieties of it.

Where will I go to eat when I'm there? I really don't want to get into the shopping mall across the street facepalm.gif

It's not a mall, On Nut market is 4 bars with live bands and music, about 30+ food stalls and a clothes market. I spent 3 months in On Nut this year and the night market was my favourite place to go in the evening, good atmosphere, cheap beer, cheap aroi food and good mix of local ex-pats, tourists and thai's. Real shame that it's closing, I was looking forward to staying in On Nut later this year and visiting the market.

<<<<26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.>>>>

Edited by metisdead

It's not a mall, On Nut market is 4 bars with live bands and music, about 30+ food stalls and a clothes market. I spent 3 months in On Nut this year and the night market was my favourite place to go in the evening, good atmosphere, cheap beer, cheap aroi food and good mix of local ex-pats, tourists and thai's. Real shame that it's closing, I was looking forward to staying in On Nut later this year and visiting the market.

<<<<26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.>>>>

The referenced BP article is incorrect - the market is not oppostite Big C - which is located on Soi 77 (Soi Onnut) proper - the mareket is located opposite Tesco Lotus, and fronts along much of the north Sukhumvit sidewalk underneath the Onnut BTS Station.

MS

The referenced BP article is incorrect - the market is not oppostite Big C - which is located on Soi 77 (Soi Onnut) proper - the mareket is located opposite Tesco Lotus, and fronts along much of the north Sukhumvit sidewalk underneath the Onnut BTS Station.

MS

Ahhh but there is another market opposite Big C so it might be that one that is closing and not the one next to the BTS which, as has already been mentioned, is a fine place for a few beers and a bite to eat.

Ok market near BTS but the prices are not cheap. A small Heineken beer is 90 baht, hardly cheap. A glass of wine 200 baht. Normally very hot during the summer and after 1:00am hundreds of rats the size of cats running everywhere. Some parts smell very bad and the toilet smells like piss. There are some booths that do offer good food and the Japanese food I will miss. The reason prices are high I am told is because the only person really making money is the landlord.

I hope another market opens nearby and the landlord is not so greedy so prices are more reasonable.

Prices are the usual for street food.

Who goes to public toilets in these places?

I don't know what kind of wine you got, but I once ordered a glass of Black Label for Baht 200 and I got like DOUBLE of the regular quantity.

Edited by LiorW

I don't know what kind of wine you got, but I once ordered a glass of Black Label for Baht 200 and I got like DOUBLE of the regular quantity.

I go there all the time and drink a few beers so have to use toilet as do others. Sumdum 55 baht, most places 25 to 40 baht.... Over priced for sure !!!

You sure it was black label ???

Wine was ok but expensive.

Edited by ttthailand

I go there because I live next door. I know many people there and have a good time. Prices however are not cheap. It is not the fault of the venders however it's the landlord. I think most venders are honest and just trying to make a living but they have to charge high prices due to the rent. I just hope something opens near by where the venders are not raped and thus can offer good food and drink at a reasonable price for street food. I would venture to say it is one of the highest priced street food markets in Bangkok.

yes...there are two entirely different places there.

1. is the shopping area directly across Sukhumvit Rd from the Tesco store and underneath BTS On Nut -- where there is the clothing stalls area, and an adjoining small shops and food and drink area.

2. entirely different and separate is a Thai fresh market area that is on the opposite side of On Nut Rd from the Big C market there a few blocks away.

It sounds like it's the food-drink area opposite Tesco On Nut that's being targeted for closure, which is hardly surprising considering the number of high-rise condos being built in the area.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It is the one across the street from lotus. I understand from some venders there last night that they have one week. But I also understand that part of the market has two more months before closing. It is overpriced but near my condo so It will be a loss. I hope the new mall and cinemas will be interesting.

Edited by ttthailand

It was only recently given a minor facelift: they shuffled the beer bars and stages around whilst the size of the fresh food stalls got smaller. That shows this latest announcement came out of the blue. I like the place for a good atmosphere and nice mix of Thai and foreigner. Lots of eye candy without being accosted by prostitutes, though the Indian nut sellers and occasional career child beggar could be a tad bothersome.

Even so, it's one of the reasons to choose to live around the area. If they put up yet another mall or condo it will be a major loss to BKK's character but nothing out of synch with the way things are going generally anyway.

It was only recently given a minor facelift: they shuffled the beer bars and stages around whilst the size of the fresh food stalls got smaller. That shows this latest announcement came out of the blue. I like the place for a good atmosphere and nice mix of Thai and foreigner. Lots of eye candy without being accosted by prostitutes, though the Indian nut sellers and occasional career child beggar could be a tad bothersome.

Even so, it's one of the reasons to choose to live around the area. If they put up yet another mall or condo it will be a major loss to BKK's character but nothing out of synch with the way things are going generally anyway.

yes, they shut down one bar and moved the equipment and the music to the clothing area. That is the first area to go from my understanding. The other area near the toilets will remain a little longer. I hear some talk about the market moving across the street and up about 200 meters towards lower sukhumvit.

The digital nomads, backpackers and teflrs will be crying into their chang.

If truth be known, a dump, well beloved of those who live in cheap scuzzy condos in soi 81.

Places like this abound all over Bkk, thankfully the, knocking out muay thai shorts on e-bay dont know about them.

Just down the road another place lies empty, the rents are way too high.

Head to soi pridi, if you can afford it.

For a laff, head into to T/L next door and check out the food court.

Was bloody disgusted, a bunch of KSR refugees too bloody cheap to buy a drink, swigging from a litre bottle of pepsi, didnt even pour it into the free glasses provided, even the burmese cleaners were shocked.

please someone update the Lonely Planet and tell these kee nok types to stay away.

If truth be known, a dump, well beloved of those who live in cheap scuzzy condos in soi 81.

Places like this abound all over Bkk, thankfully the, knocking out muay thai shorts on e-bay dont know about them.

Was bloody disgusted, a bunch of KSR refugees too bloody cheap to buy a drink, swigging from a litre bottle of pepsi, didnt even pour it into the free glasses provided, even the burmese cleaners were shocked.

please someone update the Lonely Planet and tell these kee nok types to stay away.

Given the number of foreigners living in the area I'm surprised there isn't a farang pub there....maybe rents and lack of drinkers is the reason?

I know a great place not far with a large beer garden, comfy inside seating and good food....but I won't mention it here lol.....its a little hidden gem and the backpackers will NEVER find it.

Halleluiah!

tongue.png

I lived in the Ideo condo next to it for a few years. Got bored of eating there after a while but there was some good food and it wasn't too expensive. The Japanese food and burger place that recently opened were highlights.

A lot of Thais eat there too but it might have been hard to see that from up in your ivory tower.

Hey guys,

I loved coming here when up in Bangkok so this is gutting. A few of you have said there is a lot of similar stuff in Bangkok, can you recommend anywhere similar anywhere else. I am having some friends over in April and liked to go there for the live music, great selection of food and drink in an outdoor area....can anybody recommend?

Thanks guys

I go there all the time and drink a few beers so have to use toilet as do others. Sumdum 55 baht, most places 25 to 40 baht.... Over priced for sure !!!

You sure it was black label ???

Wine was ok but expensive.

You must not mind it being "over priced" if you "go there all the time."

Edited by HerbalEd

It was supposed to be closing well over a year ago so that it could be developed as another unnecessary condo. That was before the recent changes so I assumed that it got a reprieve.

I do believe that the rents are extortionate, I cannot recall the quoted figure but it was enough to make me wonder how a bar there could be profitable, busy though it often is.

Spoken to one of the Japanese Sushi Store. Confirmed that the area would be closed on the 16th October (16th being the last day of operation.)

The area is slated for yet another condo (Even though the one around it are still not fully sold yet.

Hopefully some of the stalls can find another place to rent near the area. Good atmosphere though.. Not too shabby..

It's nothing impressive tbh...

I've been there many times , didn't think it was very expensive for food and drinks but I'm not a budget backpacker either and most of the places I regularly go charge much more ...

If you can't afford 120thb for a large beer in a bar with live entertainment maybe you should sit outside the 7/11 drinking "cheap" beers and then you will be happy .... :)

Street food is every few metres, you will survive even without the mall..

I don't know the OP and cannot predict or advise anyone about survival. If I were to make such a comment, it would be irrelevant and juvenile.

Hey guys,

I loved coming here when up in Bangkok so this is gutting. A few of you have said there is a lot of similar stuff in Bangkok, can you recommend anywhere similar anywhere else. I am having some friends over in April and liked to go there for the live music, great selection of food and drink in an outdoor area....can anybody recommend?

Thanks guys

Ok, you sound like a decent sort.

Head to the Pridi beer garden in soi 71, or head to Coco Walk (google it yourself).

These places can be found all over Bkk.

Plioenchit, Chaeng Wattana, Ram Intra, Petchaburi, Sri Nakakarin, Lat Prao, Sri Nakarin.

Wont reveal locations, live your life, not mine.

Plus, why should I do a digital nomand travel bloggers job for him.

Read a topic on the Hua Hin forum not so long back, the post was utter crap, people who live in Hua Hin asked the poster if he had ever set foot in Thailand never mind Hua Hin..

Ah the joys of being a digital nomad, copy and paste and paligarise while getting a tan in Bali.

<deleted> thats one of the best areas of Bangkok! obviously yet another condo is moving in on the space, or perhaps its due to the flooding they always have there

One of the best areas of Bkk, LOL.

In what way is it better than lets say, Sam Rong, Thep a rak, Bang Kapi, Klong Tan?

Ever tried the Japaenese/Korean quarter in Ekkamai?

The sidewalk was a bloody disgrace, people having to walk on the main road because the soi itself was unpassable.

As for flooding, that was one of the few areas in Bkk that were unaffected by the flooding in 2011..

Edited by rgs2001uk