National ban on impromptu police checkpoints.

CMKiwi

I read with interest on the Bangkok forum the the police director (Big boss man) has put a nation wide directive to all stations that these checkpoints are to cease with effect last Thursday.

He went on to say that planned checkpoints will still be used but must have proper signage and at least one police inspector in attendance.

Maybe news is slow to filter through as I saw one of these impromptu checkpoints in the city yesterday. I was one of their victims.....yes I am in the wrong as I have yet to go get my Thai licence done (Lazy in the extreme)

The BiB seemed to be doing a roaring trade in non receipted takings/fines. I oversaw quite a few foreigners getting pinged. They weren't happy campers but it not worth arguing unless you want more grief than its worth (IMO).

It will be interesting if the BiB follow this directive from on high as it will surely hit them in the pocket via lost revenue.

For me.....well its time to do the right thing and go get the Thai licence.

Usually they go for the easy targets, being bikes and tourists on them. Favorite locations at the Changpueak gate and just before the night market when you come from east. Never got stopped with the car though. Also saw them couple of days ago just before Festival going north and at the flyover from the airport on the 11. Seems money is running out :)

I suspect the directive won't be enforced until some senior staff are moved to a new post.....Similar to the sale of alcohol bans near universities a while back.

Personally I don't see the problem with them enforcing the laws. However the way in which they pick and choose which laws to enforce seems to be tied into which are of greater benefit to their back pocket.

The boss man also suggested that anyone caught by these checkpoints either note badge numbers or record video footage of the actions. A contact number was also given for anyone who wishes to lodge a complaint.

I think the switchboard is currently overloaded!

The boss man also suggested that anyone caught by these checkpoints either note badge numbers or record video footage of the actions.

My dashcam has 2 cams, one is looking at the side window smile.png

Maybe not "mad," Mac, but more than a little bit paranoid!

I suspect the directive won't be enforced until some senior staff are moved to a new post.....Similar to the sale of alcohol bans near universities a while back.

Personally I don't see the problem with them enforcing the laws. However the way in which they pick and choose which laws to enforce seems to be tied into which are of greater benefit to their back pocket.

The boss man also suggested that anyone caught by these checkpoints either note badge numbers or record video footage of the actions. A contact number was also given for anyone who wishes to lodge a complaint.

I think as far as foreigners, probably locals also,are concerned it would have to be anonymous complaints.

Anybody here who would give their details to a complaints hotline?

I think as far as foreigners, probably locals also,are concerned it would have to be anonymous complaints.

No way.. I gave your details yesterday when I called them :)

cornishcarlos, on 11 Oct 2015 - 06:43, said:
Thailand, on 11 Oct 2015 - 06:34, said:
CMKiwi, on 10 Oct 2015 - 20:07, said:

No way.. I gave your details yesterday when I called them smile.png

So did I..........................

Last time I got pulled over at a Police Checkpoint in Thailand... I was a passenger in a taxi. Both my girlfriend and I were subject to search and the overly hopeful cop wanted me to confess that the empty cellophane (from my cigarettes - it's not nice to litter) was used to contain drugs... when the confession was not forthcoming we were finally allowed to leave. I just put it down to one of those "Asia" moments.

No way.. I gave your details yesterday when I called them :)

Ivor Bigun?

GOOD.

Got me after I had tax disc/license/green book...and bicycle helmet on a scooter that does not go over 40km/h.

Fair enough, I knew it was not correct, but better than cops who drive with no helmet after 4pm. All the officers were not bothered except one opportunist pain the ass.

And I hear from my g/fs friend who is married to one, that all that money gets kicked upstairs to get the inspectors off the back of the stations.

CORRUPT shakedown...not so much tea money but big money sent up the line.

GOOD.

Got me after I had tax disc/license/green book...and bicycle helmet on a scooter that does not go over 40km/h.

Fair enough, I knew it was not correct, but better than cops who drive with no helmet after 4pm. All the officers were not bothered except one opportunist pain the ass.

And I hear from my g/fs friend who is married to one, that all that money gets kicked upstairs to get the inspectors off the back of the stations.

CORRUPT shakedown...not so much tea money but big money sent up the line.

I like the part of the above statement " all the money gets kicked upstairs" ...... com'on now, this is Thailand, these are cops, ..... I would bet dollars to donuts that some of the money gets stuck in the lining of their tight pants on the way to the station.

PS ...as a service charge of course..

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Reopened by request for local commentary in Chiang Mai.

An interesting tidbit in this topic a few weeks ago - Police crackdown on Chiang Mai road violators paying off, say public biggrin.png

Besides the speed limit, police also set up checkpoints at almost every intersection to maintain motorists’ law-abiding traffic behaviour and to look out for street racers and bag-snatching criminals, Piyapan said. Public feedback to the “slow city” policy and cooperation is good and has been a factor in helping to lower the accident rate, he said.

Thanks for reopening and I'm keen to hear more feedback on these checkpoints. I heard that some bike rental places are now checking driving licences prior to letting their bikes out.

Several tourists I've spoken to were a bit pissed about getting stopped several times during their stay here. Some even said they wouldn't visit Chiang Mai next holiday.

Your second paragraph is opposite in meaning to your first paragraph. I see them pull over falangs and Thais all day long, and write the tickets. In my home country if you don't have a license, or don't wear a helmet, you will get ticket. No one there calls this corruption. Why do you call it corruption here?

Maybe not "mad," Mac, but more than a little bit paranoid!

Nahh....it just records them side on side. Actually it's meant for one in front and one to the back, but useless in a pickup. So I turned one to the side :). Still have to catch a BiB.

Your second paragraph is opposite in meaning to your first paragraph. I see them pull over falangs and Thais all day long, and write the tickets. In my home country if you don't have a license, or don't wear a helmet, you will get ticket. No one there calls this corruption. Why do you call it corruption here?

I never mentioned corruption or is that a figure of speech in your reply? I agree that if you are in the wrong then you cannot complain if you get a ticket. The main point is IF you get a ticket.

When I was stopped last week the officer says you go to Police Station and pay fine, which I replied that I was happy to do. However he then said drive around the corner whereas I was asked to pay 500 baht to the officer. No ticket was drawn up and certainly no receipt was given. I wasn't the only person/victim there when this occurred. Oh and for your information....foreigners get charged 500 baht whereas Thai nationals get charged 200 baht (For the same offense). Does all this seem above board to you? Its a racket pure and simple, however its not my place/country to try and fix/amend the integrity of the police force. I believe the Director of Police is trying to stamp this practice out and I take my hat off to him.

Again I will emphasize that offenders should not complain when they are caught breaking the law.

On a plus side, (when comparing law enforcement with home countries) at least here you can hop back on your bike and drive off. In my home country if you dont have a current license, you would have to park your bike up and get a licensed driver to get the bike.

Western countries may apply law enforcement differently, however overall I am happy with what Thailand is trying to achieve. Just sometimes the execution can be a little annoying.

Ok..... time to apply for the Thai license. Will update on my procedure/application later.

I never mentioned corruption or is that a figure of speech in your reply? I agree that if you are in the wrong then you cannot complain if you get a ticket. The main point is IF you get a ticket.

When I was stopped last week the officer says you go to Police Station and pay fine, which I replied that I was happy to do. However he then said drive around the corner whereas I was asked to pay 500 baht to the officer. No ticket was drawn up and certainly no receipt was given. I wasn't the only person/victim there when this occurred. Oh and for your information....foreigners get charged 500 baht whereas Thai nationals get charged 200 baht (For the same offense). Does all this seem above board to you? Its a racket pure and simple, however its not my place/country to try and fix/amend the integrity of the police force. I believe the Director of Police is trying to stamp this practice out and I take my hat off to him.

Again I will emphasize that offenders should not complain when they are caught breaking the law.

On a plus side, (when comparing law enforcement with home countries) at least here you can hop back on your bike and drive off. In my home country if you dont have a current license, you would have to park your bike up and get a licensed driver to get the bike.

Western countries may apply law enforcement differently, however overall I am happy with what Thailand is trying to achieve. Just sometimes the execution can be a little annoying.

Ok..... time to apply for the Thai license. Will update on my procedure/application later.

It is actually easy but but warned the 2nd part of the education has no English subs if I remember. You need to go to the separate computer screen video room..The driving test itself is an utter farce for scooters.

You are not really observed, just drive around a fake street layout and off you go. 2 minutes in and out....like most 60+ guys on TV.

Same with cars they need instructors in the car on the roads for the test to be effective. The instructors should be trained by German or Japanese instructors to raise the driving quality level which is dangerously poor.

Edited by freedomnow

The instructors should be trained by German or Japanese instructors to raise the driving quality level which is dangerously poor.

That would take all the fun out of it. Being german, I assimilated quite well to local driving style biggrin.png

It is actually easy but but warned the 2nd part of the education has no English subs if I remember. You need to go to the separate computer screen video room..The driving test itself is an utter farce for scooters.

You are not really observed, just drive around a fake street layout and off you go. 2 minutes in and out....like most 60+ guys on TV.

Same with cars they need instructors in the car on the roads for the test to be effective. The instructors should be trained by German or Japanese instructors to raise the driving quality level which is dangerously poor.

idont have a driving License and i dont have plan to get one, a motorbike/car are running on fuel not on a License, a License isn't a gurantee to driving Perfect, it only for sowing you can drive, i have driving arround for 3 year and i bet i can drive much better then most off you guys, i know the traffic laws and rules....but again western pepoles attitude are like it's so important to do what the goverment are teling us.... and i never have a accident, im carefuel when im driving, i dont have a plan to be sentback o my home coutry in a urn...

the biggest problem are drunk driving,high speed driving, and reckless driving because it wil hurt not only Our self but the pepole arround us also...

thank god thailand isn't a <deleted> nannystate country where everything is super strict... like most expats (experts) wish Thailand was a nannystate...

As I already hold a NZ Car and motorcycle license, I am led to believe all I am required to do and have on me are the following:

accommodation rental agreement or certificate of residence

Valid NZ drivers license

Passport and copies of visa page

medical certificate

depending on the day and who is running the office I may also need to be tested for color blindness

I believe the fee is about 500 baht. As I live in Mae Rim I can go to the Land Transport Office in Mae Tang.

However, that aside and getting back to the OP.....I was in town (The City) yesterday and noted with surpise the complete lack of checkpoints. All the normal places were very quiet although traffic going into town was quite heavy. Maybe word has finally filtered thru. And I did read on another forum (since closed) that a few police in CM have been moved to inactive posts for not following the directive. Funny how history repeats.

I agree with another post in that it will probably return over time, they will likely just wait till the heat goes off from above.

idont have a driving License and i dont have plan to get one, a motorbike/car are running on fuel not on a License, a License isn't a gurantee to driving Perfect, it only for sowing you can drive, i have driving arround for 3 year and i bet i can drive much better then most off you guys, i know the traffic laws and rules....but again western pepoles attitude are like it's so important to do what the goverment are teling us.... and i never have a accident, im carefuel when im driving, i dont have a plan to be sentback o my home coutry in a urn...

the biggest problem are drunk driving,high speed driving, and reckless driving because it wil hurt not only Our self but the pepole arround us also...

thank god thailand isn't a <deleted> nannystate country where everything is super strict... like most expats (experts) wish Thailand was a nannystate...

Hmmm I dont see where you get your data from to suggest/state that most expats wish Thailand was a nanny state.

I agree that the Thai driving license system currently in place is somewhat different to what we have to undertake in the Western world. And yes maybe the current system is a waste of time and effort. However this is Thailand and these are their rules. As visitors/guests to this country we should follow/respect their rules and laws. If that means getting a driving license then its fine by me.

I too have been in Thailand for 3 years and do not mind driving a car or riding my bike. I took a risk in not having a Thai license that left me open to random checkpoints and having to pay fines. Isnt it funny how some people, just because they haven't had an accident think they are better riders than most? I too have not had an accident in the 3 years that Ive been here. But I wouldn't necessarily say that Im a better rider than most of us guys.

Put me on a big bike like a 800cc or above and Id be down right dangerous. I know my limits and drive accordingly. Should I wish in the future to get a bigger bike, then Id look at taking on proper formal training in how to handle said bike. It the moment the CRF250 is more than fine for my needs/requirements.

I hope you continue to have safe travels in Thailand and that you aren't annoyed should you be caught out by the BiB for not having a valid Thai license.

I could be easily led to believe that the police in CM are already in an inactive post. Yesterday I had an unwelcome visitor come to my place. Guy , maybe in his 40's , most assuredly very high on some type of meds/pills, just staring straight ahead, not answering to any verbal request or even acknowledging that anyone was talking to him...... strange smirk on his face. Just standing in my yard, taking one or two steps in one direction then after a bit couple steps in another. Looked very much like a Hollywood zombie or walking dead. Security guard called the police. He must have called the inactive post , because they never showed up at all. The guy was very scary and did indeed scare Ms. G quite a bit. So much for the inactive posting for the police. I told the security guard, the next time tell the cops there is a moto guy out here without a helmet.... That seems to be the activating phrase.

Maybe he was casing out your joint for a possible static full-time Police checkpoint. Lots of places they could hide victims in order to fleece tea money.

Sorry to hear of your experience John, guys on whatever stimulants can be scary if not a little unpredictable. Will pop by in the next few days to try out your pork knuckle

Regards Andy

WOW ! ! ! I just bet readers of your post are so impressed that they are just lining up to meet such a smart/great one.

As CMKiwi said.... this is Thailand and they have their rules, you either obey them and get lucky and don't have an accident orrrrr you tell the powers that be that you know better than them and pay the price . Hope you continue to sowing all you can drive better than other western pepoles and are carefuel and never get unlucky in someone elses accident.