Khon exhibition unveils the secrets of the traditional Thai art

Lite Beer

Khon exhibition unveils the secrets of the traditional Thai art
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE public has been invited to visit a free exhibition about Khon, a traditional Thai drama performance, at the Support Arts and Craft International Centre of Thailand in Ayutthaya's Bang Sa-ai district.

The exhibition, "Before Becoming Khon", runs till October 31 before being held at Thammasat University's Rangsit campus from November to December and former royal residence Mrigadayavan Palace in Phetchaburi's Cha-am district from January to February.

The exhibition stemmed from a memorandum of understanding between the centre and the Thai Khadi Research Institute (TKRI) that involves gathering knowledge about Khon in order to promote the high-class art and craftsmanship of the Khon masks.

Centre director Amphawan Phichalai said her organisation's role in promoting Khon involved systematically gathering, storing and displaying information, as well as collaborating with related agencies and others entities to raise public awareness about it.

She expects the exhibition would create good impression for Thais and foreigners who might also want to buy Khon masks, resulting in the increased economic value of the Thai handicraft market.

The exhibition features the theme "The Gateway to the Wisdom of Thai Craft" and presents a body of information about Thai handicraft via sources such as art and handicraft masters, their heirs and handicraft communities, she said.

"This exhibition is a key part of SACICT meeting important missions and continues the SACICT-TKRI collaboration to honour the Thai artisan," she said.

"Khon is seen as a leading entertainment performance in Thailand, which is also an elegant, gracious and gentle combination of various fields of art including sculpture, painting and fine arts. Khon has been long standing and has evolved over time."

Amphawan said the Khon masks showed different characters of the Ramayana epic and, like the fine costumes and decorative items, they were considered high-art pieces, as their creation was a complicated process.

She said that included sculpturing, burning, creating a plaster frame cast, the pulp-patching into shape, the gold leaf covering, the character face painting and the additional decoration with mirror mosaics or loose crystal stones.

"Before becoming a perfect Khon mask, it takes a long time and requires skilful craftsmanship, which is also fading as time goes by," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Khon-exhibition-unveils-the-secrets-of-the-traditi-30270610.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-11

Few Thais are interested in sitting through one of these performances, would have died out by now if not for having been promoted and sponsored by the powerful.

Nonsense. Perhaps it's the Thai social circles you circulate within.

I was at an agriculture expo recently, wandering around browsing. One area was holding a kohn performance.....the place was packed, voluntarily, by passersby. Nobody had to be there, there were plenty of other exhibits to see, but this one was bar far the most popular.

Another performance I saw on a closed off street...again, packed and mesmerised audience.

I might add that it's not my thing except as a passing interest in another culture, but the locals were certainly lapping it up.

Edited by Seastallion

There was an interesting article on the Asian Correspondent website last year entitled Khon - Thailand's Beautiful but Boring Performing Art. Essentially the article states that because Khon is seen as an important part of Thai culture, the art-form has been frozen in time by the conservatives to 'protect' it, but really this has just resulted in stagnation, and any art form that is not allowed to evolve eventually loses its relevance and public appeal.

Unfortunately, I think this general approach is taken far too often in Thailand, in everything from rice farming to the civil service. The mindset that things must always be done the same way as they were in the past prevents the country from ever moving properly forward. Currently, we have forces ruling Thailand who are set on turning the clock back to a fictitious 'golden era', so I don't expect this attitude to change anytime soon.

Few Thais are interested in sitting through one of these performances, would have died out by now if not for having been promoted and sponsored by the powerful.

Nonsense. Perhaps it's the Thai social circles you circulate within.

I was at an agriculture expo recently, wandering around browsing. One area was holding a kohn performance.....the place was packed, voluntarily, by passersby. Nobody had to be there, there were plenty of other exhibits to see, but this one was bar far the most popular.

Another performance I saw on a closed off street...again, packed and mesmerised audience.

I might add that it's not my thing except as a passing interest in another culture, but the locals were certainly lapping it up.

Well my social circles prefer luktung, morlam and likay but I have been to a few Khon performances. At a certain day in August they are forced on the crowd before the other concerts, nobody is in the slightest bit interested in this rubbish. I have been to more up market venues where there has been slightly more interest, but it's viewed more as a curiosity than an engaging entertainment. Thais do not lap this up, they patiently wait for it to end, and the sooner the better.

Edited by jacky54

Why? it's an anachronism with no social or cultural relevance to the vast majority of Thais. In my opinion a few people pretend to like it at best because of who supports it and the social circles they represent. Have you ever sat through one of these performances?, dear god life's too short.!

Edited by jacky54