Oct 2015, Vientiane, first time O-retirement visa report

Sounds like a bunch of old women arguing about the terminology the Op used.

I think most of us understood what he was talking about.

No comments about the actual post..maybe spelling errors will be the next important issue??

I thought it was a very good and informative post.

The entire process seems reasonable and not very difficult to me.

Not as easy as it was for me year ago when I paid a nice Lao fellow to take care of everything for me, but it sounds convenient and pretty easy.

Yes, years ago I got my Non O visa, based on marriage and have had my "stay", not my "Non O visa", extended every year since.

I sincerely hope I phrased that correctly for all of you ladies!

Thanks to the Op for an informative post.

• Like 2

Another question. Why, if the original O visa ceases to exist, is one of the paperwork requirements to provide

b. Page showing the original Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” or “O” (if you renewed your passport since then, the page in new passport where Immigration transferred information from your previous passport will suffice)

?

• Like 1

The EXPERTS are Correct ... As an example there is a Multi-Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visas ... that is issued for a number of purposes - one is just to Enter Thailand and have the ability to exit and enter as many times as you wish over a period of a year - extendable to a total of about 15 months.

This same Multi-Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visa can also be used to provide status to apply for an Extension of Stay Based on Retirement - at any time during the one year to 15 month term of that 'O' Visa.... Once granted this type of 'O' Visa does not really exist anymore - but the Extension of the Permission to Stay - based on Retirement does ...

In fact -- Once a person gains entry into Thailand on any Visa - they are then inside the country on a Permission to Stay ... The Visa technically stopped at the point of entry ...

Future references to the 'O' Visa are Just That - a Reference - a Reference Point ... not really the Visa itself.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

Sounds like a bunch of old women arguing about the terminology the Op used.

I think most of us understood what he was talking about.

No comments about the actual post..maybe spelling errors will be the next important issue??

I thought it was a very good and informative post.

The entire process seems reasonable and not very difficult to me.

Not as easy as it was for me year ago when I paid a nice Lao fellow to take care of everything for me, but it sounds convenient and pretty easy.

Yes, years ago I got my Non O visa, based on marriage and have had my "stay", not my "Non O visa", extended every year since.

I sincerely hope I phrased that correctly for all of you ladies!

Thanks to the Op for an informative post.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm really just trying to help out, I have learned a lot of good info here, juggling different visas over the last 4 years, but part of what makes that work is people reporting what they experienced at different offices.

• Like 1

OP. Don't think anyone is trying to pick you up on technical terminology. It's more about a clear understanding. Then when a friend or whatever asks you for advice , over a beer, you have good advice.

Good luck with your extension of stay in future. Thanks for update on your successful non imm o

The EXPERTS are Correct ... As an example there is a Multi-Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visas ... that is issued for a number of purposes - one is just to Enter Thailand and have the ability to exit and enter as many times as you wish over a period of a year - extendable to a total of about 15 months.

This same Multi-Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visa can also be used to provide status to apply for an Extension of Stay Based on Retirement - at any time during the one year to 15 month term of that 'O' Visa.... Once granted this type of 'O' Visa does not really exist anymore - but the Extension of the Permission to Stay - based on Retirement does ...

In fact -- Once a person gains entry into Thailand on any Visa - they are then inside the country on a Permission to Stay ... The Visa technically stopped at the point of entry ...

Future references to the 'O' Visa are Just That - a Reference - a Reference Point ... not really the Visa itself.

Yes. When you use an entry that a visa entitles you to, you are granted permission to stay based on what sort of visa you have. On a single entry visa, the visa will be stamped USED, because the entry has been used.

The rules about what extensions to the permission to stay you are eligible for are also based on the type of visa you entered on. You are stuck with the rules for that visa type until you leave and go get a different visa, or you get the original visa converted. It does not just go away.

• Like 1

Yes. When you use an entry that a visa entitles you to, you are granted permission to stay based on what sort of visa you have. On a single entry visa, the visa will be stamped USED, because the entry has been used.

The rules about what extensions to the permission to stay you are eligible for are also based on the type of visa you entered on. You are stuck with the rules for that visa type until you leave and go get a different visa, or you get the original visa converted. It does not just go away.

Bottom Line ... An Extension of Stay based on Retirement is an extension of a permission to stay ... it is still not an 'O' Visa nor any other Visa.

• Like 1

OP please read last post. Case closed

Except it's not 'case closed'.

But go ahead and perpetrate the myth that somehow the visa that granted you your original permission to stay, the same visa that determines what rules for extensions to permission to stay that you must abide by, the same visa that immigration wants to see a copy of every time you apply for an extension, somehow vanishes, ceases to exist, ceases to matter.

I get that this myth is the accepted wisdom here, but the accepted wisdom is wrong sometimes. This is one of those instances.

I am often wrong. When I am, in general, I accept it.

Your thread outlining your experience was a good post and helpful to many. The subsequent dog with a bone does not.

Personally I am living in Thailand on extension of stay based on retirement. The rules or conditions are described in the conditions of the extension. I DO NOT HAVE A VISA.

Think of it this way. If someone entered Thailand on visa exempt stamp they have conditions. For example no work permitted .

Only reason some posters are bothering being clear about the correct understanding is that you can advise friends etc on the process. Being clear and precise is important. Then again didn't hinder you obtaining an extension. Enjoy your time in los. If it helps you sleep at night thinking you have a visa then fine with me

• Like 1