"O" or "O-A" retirement visa (for the pedants, extension of stay for "retirement" purposes)

So I hit the big 5-0 next Feb & would like to get a (an extension of stay for the purposes of) retirement (visa).

I'm currently traveling around Asia but am planning to pop back to see my parents for my birthday (long story short, my 30th was spent working in the office till 2am, 40th going through a divorce so I'm determined to have a great 50th) and was wondering whether it would be better to pick up an "O-A" while I'm there, or pop somewhere local to pick up an"O" when I get back...

Any thoughts? (I'll be in the North West of England so if Liverpool doesn't do "O-A"s then it's a mute question)

Only the Embassy in London can issue a Non Imm O-A Visa and you need quite a lot of documentation.

Might be better to arrive in Thailand with a Non Imm O Visa and apply for a 12 month Extension of Stay at Immigration.

From The Liverpool website: http://www.royalthaiconsul.com/index.htm

ALL NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS WILL HAVE TO BE APPROVED BY THE EMBASSY IN LONDON. APPLICATIONS SHOULD THEREFORE BE SUBMITTED TO THE CONSULATE NO LESS THAN TWO WEEKS BEFORE TRAVEL. PLEASE RING TO DISCUSS REQUIREMENTS.

Thanks guys, I can only stay in the UK for 10 days so if Liverpool can only do it in 2 weeks, I'll need to pop to Laos or somewhere to get an "O".

Any real/material difference between them? I thought I'd read that you got 1 year with the "O-A" but only 3 months with the "O".

If you're prepared to jump through the extra requirements for an 'O-A' it's worth getting, but you have to go through London to get it. It doesn't look like you can get an 'O' from Liverpool and you don't qualify for an 'O' from London. Getting an 'O' locally to Thailand is easy if you don't mind a short trip after you come back.

Thanks guys, I can only stay in the UK for 10 days so if Liverpool can only do it in 2 weeks, I'll need to pop to Laos or somewhere to get an "O".

Any real/material difference between them? I thought I'd read that you got 1 year with the "O-A" but only 3 months with the "O".

• An 'O-A' gives 1 year stays and multi entries and if utilised to the full can give you nearly two years before needing to apply for an extension of stay.
  • An 'O' obtained locally will give you 90 days during which time you would need to apply for an extension if you want to stay longer.
Edited by elviajero

Thanks... I'll maybe hit a couple of my mates up for somewhere to stay in "Dat Der London", my biggest concern is if they need a "Police Record/Clearance" as I was living in Singapore for 6 1/2 years & they don't provide them for non-citizens (obviously if I'd done anything "Naughty" I wouldn't have been living in Singapore so it's the process not my "record" I'm concerned about)

Otherwise I've always wanted to visit Laos [emoji4]

Cheers

JB

Actually, you can just come to Thailand, get a 30-day visa exempt permission to stay, convert to a 90-day non-immigrant O visa rarly on and then get a year-long extension of stay for the purpose of retirement before the visa expires. You can look up the financial requirements and times to apply on ThaiVisa. It's in hundreds of threads if you google it

Not sure about UK but in AU you can post the application and have it mailed back to you. Problem for you is time. Your going to organize police record check. The medical, documents certified etc etc. While the OA is preferable, there are extra requirements. If there is something a miss then you need to reapply. In my case, on advice from the embassy that the documents did not need to pbe bound, my application was rejected. Because..the documents were not bound. !

You can obtain a non o easily outside of thailand. Again not sure about UK, in AU now they issue AO only for retirement.

The suggestion about arriving on visa exempt or say tourist visa and converting to a non imm o is fine.

However you will need to demonstrate the funds came from outside of thailand. (If using bank deposit). You will not need to demonstrate this if obtained outside Thailand. If your in Thailand presently a good first step would be to open a thai bank account. Good luck.

Thanks guys, looks like the best approach is go for the "Non-O" either from one of the surrounding countries or doing it from a 30 day Visa Exempt (assuming I can open/seed a bank account for a couple of months beforehand).

I understand that with the Non-OA you get a 1 year "Stamp" (which you can squeeze 2 years from if you exit/re-enter before the Visa expires) whereas with the Non-O the visa is only valid for 90 days at which time you need to get a 1 year extension, but is that the only difference between the 2?

Thanks guys, looks like the best approach is go for the "Non-O" either from one of the surrounding countries or doing it from a 30 day Visa Exempt (assuming I can open/seed a bank account for a couple of months beforehand).

I understand that with the Non-OA you get a 1 year "Stamp" (which you can squeeze 2 years from if you exit/re-enter before the Visa expires) whereas with the Non-O the visa is only valid for 90 days at which time you need to get a 1 year extension, but is that the only difference between the 2?

The only other significant difference is the fact that the O/A visa is a multiple entry visa whilst it is valid. Every entry made during the visa period of validity secures a new one year permission to stay.

If thinking about "converting" from a 30 day visa exempt entry be aware that you will have to prove you are qualified to make application for an extension of stay. In practical terms this means you will have to have 800,000 Bht in a Thai bank or evidence, certified by your Embassy, of 65,000 Bht/month income, before the "O" visa will be issued.

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

As already pointed out. With the non imm O , you will need a reentry permit if you wish to leave los . Can obtain at imm or airport. Easy process. 3800 for a multi.

In my case there is very little difference to the O A , as I am never in Thailand for longer than 90 days. Hence reporting never required. Only effective difference is I need to apply for another extension 12 months from first extension. Can't get the free hit of an extra year that you can at the end of year on an O A.

Obtaining the non imm once here is easy. Just funds requirement etc

You could come on a visa exempt stamp. There are places where for the initial non imm O you do not need financial proof. (I think that's correct) if possible then you could open bank account straight away then deposit the required amount during the 90 days befor you apply for your first extension. If you already had the funds in bank or still better using income method you could enter on tourist visa and convert in bkk to O.

Edited by jacksam

Thanks... I'll maybe hit a couple of my mates up for somewhere to stay in "Dat Der London", my biggest concern is if they need a "Police Record/Clearance" as I was living in Singapore for 6 1/2 years & they don't provide them for non-citizens (obviously if I'd done anything "Naughty" I wouldn't have been living in Singapore so it's the process not my "record" I'm concerned about)

Cheers

JB

Yes the Singapore police provide Certificate Of Clearance (COC) to foreigners, I've seen the forms..go to www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm

Criminal Records Office (COC)

Block D Police Cantonment Complex

#02-07

391 New Brigde Road

Cheers

JB

Yes the Singapore police provide Certificate Of Clearance (COC) to foreigners, I've seen the forms..go to www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm

Criminal Records Office (COC)

Block D Police Cantonment Complex

#02-07

391 New Brigde Road

Thanks, I'd heard that they'd stopped doing this for non-citizens a few years back which caused my friend some problems at that time as he was looking to move to Australia (he ended up getting something from the uk, despite the fact that he hadn't been living there for 4-5 years).

One caveat for doing the 30-day visa-exempt entry routine is that the regulations state that you need a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of your entry date.

Airlines can, and often will, refuse to board you on a Thailand bound flight without a flight out of Thailand within 30 days unless you have a visa. The airline can be fined by Thai Immigrations and held responsible for taking a return-ticket-less passenger back to their point of origin at the airline's expense.

Actually, what I planned to do was get another O-A after the almost 2 years of the original O-A. I will go back to visit children at least that often....I will see how it plays out. I have a BK Bank account and can season money then if I go that route.

• Like 1

Actually, what I planned to do was get another O-A after the almost 2 years of the original O-A. I will go back to visit children at least that often....I will see how it plays out. I have a BK Bank account and can season money then if I go that route.

Haven't heard that one. Not saying it's crazy. Just seems lot of mucking about. Don't know about your country but in AU we also need the documents bound and certified. You will also need new medical , police check.etc.

A 12 month extension is pretty painless exercise. Obtain a reentry if you plan to travel and your good for another 12. ,easy peasy

Haven't heard that one. Not saying it's crazy. Just seems lot of mucking about. Don't know about your country but in AU we also need the documents bound and certified. You will also need new medical , police check.etc.

A 12 month extension is pretty painless exercise. Obtain a reentry if you plan to travel and your good for another 12. ,easy peasy

I get an O-A every two years since I spend the four summer months in the US. I find it much less arduous to provide the documentation required for an O-A in my home country and applying by mail, than dealing with Thai Immigration here

Extra benefit is that I don't have to worry about any Immigration dress rules