Rice Milling Business Profit

PrestigeAsia

Hello everyone,

I am new in rice processing business and hope have some guide from you guys about lossing grains during milling.

I notice after you clean the paddy and husking,We will have a few kind of rice.

1) immature rice (what can i do with immature rice it??)

2) Head rice (what can i do with head rice ?? )

3) Broken Rice (What can i do with broken rice??)

Can we still make a profit after the milling outcome,we have type of rice cant sell it for consume?

Thank you for your advice.have a good day

This is what we do around here in the north:

Feed the immature rice to chickens.

The rice still in the heads....break it (walk on it if you have a little, use a slow moving hammer mill maybe or some similar type of mill if you have alot of it) and then use air seperation to remove the chaff to yield rice seeds....basically I'm saying to just thresh it out.

If the broken rice is kou chow (steaming rice) it can be sold but at a lower price as it is used in making kow tohm and jok (boiled rice and rice porridge). If the broken rice is kou gniew you feed it to chickens.

chownah

P.S. I think that the broken kou gniew is also used to make rice powder for cooking...but I'm not sure.

chownah

Edited by chownah

Can they be used in the production of animal feed ? If there's any feed mills near you you could contact them, where actually are you ?

Hi,

Thank you so much for yr reply.Im setting up a small rice milling in philippines.

they can sell it to animal feed but the price will be pretty low..im afriad that i will loss profit due to the immaturn,broken rice etc...

You do understan Prestige Asia that you are going to have to process huge quantities for it to be viable project from you can earn a profitable income doing. I take it you will be doing other things other than just prossecing rice for a living?

Tim

You do understan Prestige Asia that you are going to have to process huge quantities for it to be viable project from you can earn a profitable income doing. I take it you will be doing other things other than just prossecing rice for a living?

Tim

Hi Maizefarmer,

I have a small business and helping my family business in scrap metal too.

Now i really want to set up a small company dealing with rice milling.And i want this rice milling company im doing to become a big company in future.

My first deal is to get the paddy from farm at abt 50 ton.which is 1000 sack of grain.

Is this quantities ok for a new rice miller like me?

im very new in this line..

Thank you for your guide and advice

Edited by PrestigeAsia

Around here if the miller keeps the rice bran then we pay about 10 baht per bag (30 to 35 kilo per bag) and if we keep the bran we pay about 20 or 25 baht per bag.....this means your 1000 bags will bring you either 10,000 baht and alot of bran or it will bring you 20,000 baht or so. Around here most people are small time farmers and don't mill alot at once...they take it in one or two bags at a time.

Chownah

50 ton does'nt seem a lot, there's been a boom in rice mills around here with loads springing up in the last 2 years, superficialy at least they seem to be doing allright so you must be able to make money in it. Now if your talking 50 ton a day you might be in buisiness, thats only about 3-4 big lorry loads

Around here if the miller keeps the rice bran then we pay about 10 baht per bag (30 to 35 kilo per bag) and if we keep the bran we pay about 20 or 25 baht per bag.....this means your 1000 bags will bring you either 10,000 baht and alot of bran or it will bring you 20,000 baht or so. Around here most people are small time farmers and don't mill alot at once...they take it in one or two bags at a time.

Chownah

Hi Chownah,

What did you do with the bran?

im doing this business in philippines.abt 8 - 12 peso per KG of untreat grain.

which is about 6 baht per KG.

50 ton does'nt seem a lot, there's been a boom in rice mills around here with loads springing up in the last 2 years, superficialy at least they seem to be doing allright so you must be able to make money in it. Now if your talking 50 ton a day you might be in buisiness, thats only about 3-4 big lorry loads

Hi Ramdom,

im new in rice milling so i think 50 ton is ok for me.

Guess i need to take time and learn first.anyway guys im from singapore

Thank you for your guide.now at least i learn something from this forum.

Edited by PrestigeAsia

Hi Ramdom,

im new in rice milling so i think 50 ton is ok for me.

Guess i need to take time and learn first.anyway guys im from singapore

Thank you for your guide.now at least i learn something from this forum.

I'm not actually sure how much the places around here do, but I live in Central Thailand, Nakhon Sawan is right on the Chao Praya river flood plane so the rice paddies then to be large and a lot of them. The economics in the philipines may be totaly different.

My brother-in-law deals with quite a few of them buying the husks which they use here a bit like sawdust, mainly in the chicken industry (cleaning out the sheds) and brick making (slow burning fuel)

Anyway nice to have you aboard, let us know how it goes

Chownah

Hi Chownah,

What did you do with the bran?

im doing this business in philippines.abt 8 - 12 peso per KG of untreat grain.

which is about 6 baht per KG.

PrestigeAsia,

We don't keep the bran...we keep the money. I think that the bran is used as the source for rice oil for cooking and as animal feed. There is also a niche market for rice bran as a health food for humans. The stuff is perishable so it needs to be handled and stored properly and used as quickly as possible....at least that is what I have read.

Chownah

In Thailand most rice milling is done at a co-operative level and amongst other reasons why it is centralised like that is the margins are quite small making it unviable for the average farmer to do himself.

50 tons is not alot of rice and I do not think that that justifies home-milling, but by all means - it should be an intresting experiment and if you can get enough people together to support it then you may well be able to make it commercialy viable.

Tim

In Thailand most rice milling is done at a co-operative level and amongst other reasons why it is centralised like that is the margins are quite small making it unviable for the average farmer to do himself.
I dont think it's mainly co-op's around here, I'll have to check though.

I did have a look a long time ago about the margins, but just what I could glean off the internet and just chatting to people and on the face of it the margins did'nt look that bad (for a bulk market), again I'd have to have a look again and see what I could dig up.....internet is a bit dodgy thought this time of the year....too much rain and cloud :o

It is up here - but it is also done by "collectives" not quite the same the co-ops, more a group of farmers who band together to do nothing else except build a rice mill - which is then motballed at the end of the season till the next year - in any event the reasoning been that its viability is much down to the volume been milled, the energy cost which drops more and more as the bulk increases.