Thai Immigration arrest Myanmar couple over prostitution

webfact

Myanmar couple arrested over prostitution
The Nation

PATTANI: -- A Myanmar couple was arrested yesterday for allegedly running a brothel in Pattani's Muang district after a 13-year-old girl accused them of luring her into prostitution there and detaining her illegally.

The two suspects were identified only as Win Tan and wife Tun Jee.

Following a complaint from the girl who managed to get away from the brothel, Department of Special Investigation (DSI), Immigration Police Bureau 6 officers and soldiers from a special operation centre in the deep South raided a rented house in Soi Niyom Kao in Tambon Bana.

The girl claimed the couple had taken her from her father in Yangon with a promise of a well-paid job in Pattani. However, she said, the couple detained her and forced her to provide sexual services to other Myanmar men, so she managed to climb out of the house's fence when nobody was looking.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-14

Thirteen years old.

What do you do with pimps and purchasers here?

It's not forced prostitution here in Esaan. These teenage girls want the latest smart phone, iPad, designer clothes. ect. They put their name on a call list from the local "resort". It's an open secret here and the norm. The "resort" owners pay the police monthly to look the other way.

Edited by Pimay1

Thirteen years old.

It's not forced prostitution here in Esaan. These teenage girls want the latest smart phone, iPad, designer clothes. ect. They put their name on a call list from the local "resort". It's an open secret here and the norm. The "resort" owners pay the police monthly to look the other way.

OK, but this is totally a different story and is an example of the continuing tragedy of human trafficking in Thailand, and why Thailand should remain on Tier 3 of the TIP report.

Thirteen years old.

I am troubled by your post, More than troubled really as there there is a perverse permissiveness for locale or external need.

Teenagers want a good many things across the globe they cannot have, it does not excuse exploitative behavior when their vulnerabilities allow predators to take advantage. To rape and serve themselves. And at thirteen she barely qualifies as a teenager.

Turning a blind eye may be common in Thailand but it is still a criminal act and moral abhorrence and needs incarceration. That child needs placement in situations where better guidance can be given and a chance at life.

Away from influences such as your voice mediated pov. There is no mediated pov in these issues.

Essan or Pattani

Thirteen years old.

I am troubled by your post, More than troubled really as there there is a perverse permissiveness for locale or external need.

Teenagers want a good many things across the globe they cannot have, it does not excuse exploitative behavior when their vulnerabilities allow predators to take advantage. To rape and serve themselves. And at thirteen she barely qualifies as a teenager.

Turning a blind eye may be common in Thailand but it is still a criminal act and moral abhorrence and needs incarceration. That child needs placement in situations where better guidance can be given and a chance at life.

Away from influences such as your voice mediated pov. There is no mediated pov in these issues.

Essan or Pattani

I agree and it is a deplorable situation. When I first moved here years ago I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. One of the worse things is that most of the parents know this is going on and just ignore it.

Essan or Pattani

I agree and it is a deplorable situation. When I first moved here years ago I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. One of the worse things is that most of the parents know this is going on and just ignore it.

I am not a whiskey priest, so you will have to deal with it as circumstances appear best to you.

It is easy to pontificate. But as a poster above alluded too, Thailand's TIT tier 3 report it is poor. [pages 330-334] [indeed, this Myanmar girl's case above is almost identically outlined as an example!]. These are not isolated occurrences. I am sure many punters have personal knowledge of or anecdotal experiences of or near this type of abuse. I have since read that document and I am reminded, writing this, of Edmund Burke's comment "when good men do nothing..." bad things happen\proliferate.

It does require a judgement.

Edited by optad

Thirteen years old.

Essan or Pattani

Spot on. Every time the issue of prostitution is raised here the poster is usually shouted down and derided for niavete with 'well it's they're fault for wanting the latest iphone' to excuse their exploitative behaviour. Your post is rightly popular for pointing out that which many here would choose to ignore as it doesn't fit their self interest/gratification.

Thirteen years old.

OK, but this is totally a different story and is an example of the continuing tragedy of human trafficking in Thailand, and why Thailand should remain on Tier 3 of the TIP report.

Isn't this more of an example of the Thai police doing a good job arresting Burmese pimps and assisting not only one particular 13 year old Burmese girl but probably others?

Edited by Alration

Thirteen years old.

Essan or Pattani

Spot on. Every time the issue of prostitution is raised here the poster is usually shouted down and derided for niavete with 'well it's they're fault for wanting the latest iphone' to excuse their exploitative behaviour. Your post is rightly popular for pointing out that which many here would choose to ignore as it doesn't fit their self interest/gratification.

I don't think Pimay1 was shouting anyone down or expressing support for what appears to be a wicked Burmese married couple forcing a girl into prostitution for their personal financial gain.

He does point out that prostitution in Thailand is regarding differently. But that is also the case in the West. In EU some countries like Netherlands and Germany have legalized prostitution. Others like Sweden are going the other way and strengthening laws against it,

The sex trade, prostitution, is complex. Some driven by poverty, with few other choices to earn equal sums of money just to survive, some driven by a desire for wealth and the things that can buy, many exploited and ill treated. etc etc. Criminals will find ways to satisfy demand for things that are illegal, drugs, fake goods, prostitutes etc. But it has been around for a very long time.

In Thailand, the rural areas, there seems to be a tolerance that girls can choose to provide sex for money as long as it's all kept discreet. From experience, many students who come from "up country" have sugar daddies and boy friends who "support" them, their tuition and living expenses and some even manage to send money back to the family. Few questions as to how it was earned are asked, and the working as a waitress, cashier etc readily accepted when they are.

I think that attitude is through out SEA, not just Thailand.

If you choose you use the services of a sex worker you are condoning the practice of prostitution knowing that some may be choosing this as a way to make extra money, some are driven by poverty and lack of opportunity, and some are being coerced and having to do things against their will. You won't know which category that worker is in. So the only way to be sure not to fund the pimps and traffickers is not to use sex worker's services.

Thirteen years old.

The police look the other way? No I cant believe that

Essan or Pattani

I don't think Pimay1 was shouting anyone down or expressing support for what appears to be a wicked Burmese married couple forcing a girl into prostitution for their personal financial gain.

He does point out that prostitution in Thailand is regarding differently. But that is also the case in the West. In EU some countries like Netherlands and Germany have legalized prostitution. Others like Sweden are going the other way and strengthening laws against it,

The sex trade, prostitution, is complex. Some driven by poverty, with few other choices to earn equal sums of money just to survive, some driven by a desire for wealth and the things that can buy, many exploited and ill treated. etc etc. Criminals will find ways to satisfy demand for things that are illegal, drugs, fake goods, prostitutes etc. But it has been around for a very long time.

In Thailand, the rural areas, there seems to be a tolerance that girls can choose to provide sex for money as long as it's all kept discreet. From experience, many students who come from "up country" have sugar daddies and boy friends who "support" them, their tuition and living expenses and some even manage to send money back to the family. Few questions as to how it was earned are asked, and the working as a waitress, cashier etc readily accepted when they are.

I think that attitude is through out SEA, not just Thailand.

If you choose you use the services of a sex worker you are condoning the practice of prostitution knowing that some may be choosing this as a way to make extra money, some are driven by poverty and lack of opportunity, and some are being coerced and having to do things against their will. You won't know which category that worker is in. So the only way to be sure not to fund the pimps and traffickers is not to use sex worker's services.

Original post deleted due to too many posts.

You're correct Baerboxer I was not shouting anyone down or expressing support for the people in the OP. I was only stating a fact and I deplore the practice of underage prostitution by any means and for any reason. Sadly there are no programs that I know of in schools to prevent this and certainly the children do not receive any support in the home against this. Talking about sex in the home is taboo unfortunately. And yes some girls are driven into prostitution by poverty. Until family attitudes change this will continue to be a scourge upon society.

Thirteen years old.

It is forced prostitution.

Any male having sex with a girl child under 16 is committing statutory rape. These girls have been groomed from as young as 3 or 4 years old. All nicely primed ready for some fat old sod to get his jollies off for a price. Then dump them and call them all quandary of names after they 18 and nobody wants them.

Prostitutes, hookers, call girls 1sluts. Any adult male (18up) having sex with a girl "because she wants it" under 16 is committing a crime. And as we see by Gary glitter, the Thai might look the other way, but our government do not.

Well done young lady and well done to the police for listening to her. Though if the boss was a Thai,it might have been a different story.

Thirteen years old.

Essan or Pattani

And did you report it to whichever relevant body that deals with this , or just report it on TVN? If you know of this Pimay 1, surely it should be reported ASAP maybe to the big boss himself ??

Edited by daiwill60

Thai Immigration arrest Myanmar couple over prostitution

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"Hey, what do you want to do while all these Farangs are waiting for us to call their number?"

"Maybe we can work on eliminating the competition."

"Good idea."

Edited by NCC1701A