Options for learning Thai

bangkokjulia

Hi, if location is an issue, have you considered learning online? Many Thai teachers offer Skype lessons, you can search online, on LinkedIn or teaching sites. Then location isn't an issue. I tried learning from books and CDs and made little progress but some people do very well that way, it's down to individual learning preferences.

Pimsleur has a great CD based course. The beauty of the Pimsleur course is that you don't need to sit in front of a computer and you don't need to walk around with any books. You can convert it all to MP3 and take it with you in your telephone or MP3 player. So that you will have it with you everywhere you go. It is very effective for learning to listen to and speak Thai. I have tried many different ways of learning Thai and IMO the Pimsleur method is very effective and works best for me.

Learning to speak Thai by looking at pages of Thai words spelled with an English alphabet and accent marks is not nearly as effective as listening to Thai speakers repeat the sentences.

After all, when we learned to speak our native languages, we didn't learn it by looking at a book. We learned it by listening to native speakers speaking.

• 4 months later...

Frankly, and in all seriousness, the best price for Thai lessons might be to get a good Thai girlfriend. That way you practice continuously throughout the day, and with just a few hours of formal sit down language only time, you will get pretty good. Of course you have to put her up in your place and feed her and pay some other incidentals that will pop up.

Mix with people and listen to your wife or girlfriend,watch the tv yes it's tedious but you will learn.

In the beginning I used Rosetta Stone,gave all that up and tried to speak Thai any time I went out.

Location is often a factor,if your in the more rural up country areas it becomes more of a necessity to learn enough to get by as most locals speak very little English.

After 6 years,non continuos living in Thailand I have a wide vocabulary of everyday words,scenarios and command that I can converse with people.

You will soon start to realise that your grasping the language when you are always met with the typical Thai response,Farang put Thai Gaeng mak meaning they can actually understand what you are saying and you speak much Thai.

Frankly, and in all seriousness, the best price for Thai lessons might be to get a good Thai girlfriend. That way you practice continuously throughout the day, and with just a few hours of formal sit down language only time, you will get pretty good. Of course you have to put her up in your place and feed her and pay some other incidentals that will pop up.

It's the incidentals that 'pop out' that generally cause a lot of trouble.

Archived