Looking For Painter In Bkk

Rossi

Hi there,

I am looking for good painters to make oil or acrylic paintings out of photos or to copy well known paintings from other artists. If I find someone reliable and who is doing a great job, I might hire him and pay him on a monthly basis to paint only for me. Do you know a good place to look for greeat painters? How much do you think would a painting costs? I know that depends on the size, but can you tell how much a good painter might earn per day? Do they earn much more than normal workes who get betwenn 4000 and 6000 Baht per month? At the beginning I would pay per picture to see if he is good, so I would give maybe 10 pictures to 3 different guys to see who is doing the best work and then in a second step I will try to hire him.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

There are alot of shops at MBK that do this kind of thing, store owners may get p*ssed off if you go down there trying to steal their employees though (but worth a try).

Do they earn much more than normal workes who get between 4000 and 6000 Baht per month

What 'Normal' workers are you referring to?

I'm guessing you'd need to pay atleast 10,000 per month, i highly doubt any decent painter is going to work for the same salary as a street vender.

Edited by dave111223

You might try the art Uni directly across from the Grand Palace. I have bought a few pieces from the artists there .. they are students ...

I am thinking it is Silpakorn ... but will try and confirm that.

Confirmed ---- Silpakorn

http://www.bangkoktourist.com/places_silpa..._university.php

Edited by jdinasia

........and just what are we up to Mr Rossi??????

Joining the ranks of counfeit painting producers - I know a basement in Bkk down in Pratunam that is discreetly hidden from the public and Thais, where about 5 rows of 10 people sit with books of paintings from Van Gogh to Picasso and any other big name you can think of - and they just sit all day, day in day out, painting copiesof those pictures - which are ordered on the net in Europe through a multilingual web-site.

The guy who runs the business - half Thai/Chinese and half German has been doing it for years.

He says its not what it used to be - it's difficult to get really good painters, harder to hang onto them and there are so many peole at it nowadays that success is as much about marketing the product as it is about painting and pricing it well. He reackons 8 of 10 websites selling those sorts of paintings are selling paintings painted in China - where a lot of the youngsters doing it are often not only goo dat it but have an edge because they are often Uni educated with degrees in art, wher as in Thailand most of the painters in that profession are old school self taught people.

Mention competion from China and he "shivers" - like a lot of people do nowadays in Thailand - immateriale of the businees they are in!!

China the sleeping giant....................... just where will Thailand be in 10 - 15 years time ?? scary scary!

Tim

@dave111223

I know the shops in the MBK already, but the prices there :D They have to pay a lot for the location and moreover their best customers are tourists who most times don't realize that they are paying far too much :o Regarding the salary you might be right, but I really have no idea what they might get.

@jodinasia

Thanks for the link to the university. This might be an interesting playground....

@Maizefarmer

Thanks for your comments. I believe that this kind of business is done already by a couple of people, but I think there is no business where you will get a exclusive lisence. If I open a bar, I gues there are already millions of bars in the same street, but some of them make money, some not! :D Actually it is not about my business, but I know a couple of shop owner in europe who would like to sell pictures in their shops and on markets around europe, so no internet business. They just need someone to order the pictures her and to supervise that the quality is OK and that they don't take weeks to finish. As there might be a basic amount of pictures per month in the near future I thought that it might me probably cheaper to hire 1 - 2 good painters than to order them piece by piece. By the way: There might lot's of cheap and good things in china and the internet, but in the last 3 months that I spent in europe I saw just only one shop offering paintings and at a price level where the difference in buying them here or in china really wouldn't matter anymore :D