TRUE just cancelled my Son's sim card (because he didnt register)

easybullet3

Buy a new SIM sad.png

Enough information on how to verify that your SIM is registered has been published plus an extension to the registration time.

He may still be able to transfer his existing number to the new SIM.

Assume - makes an Ass out of U and Me.

It was extensively advertised months in advance that the NBTC required sims to be registered.

However, seems that didn't happen in your son's case.

7-11 have sim cards for purchase.

The mandatory registration started on February 1, 2015, as required by the Thai government's National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC). At the time, there were approximately 90 million prepaid SIM cards, of which only about 6 million had been registered. One may assume that all postpaid / billed SIM cards would not require registration, but I still recommend you check by the *151# code.

After July 31, 2015, phones which are not registered will still be able to receive incoming calls but will not be able to make outgoing calls, nor use data connections, not send SMS messages to other users.

Every 7-11 in the country carries SIM cards and Top Up Credit. There are over 7,000 7-11 stores in Thailand. (That’s one store for every 9,428 people in the country.) Also any big mall is going to have phones for sale as wall as official DTAC, AIS and True Move retailers.

thanks for the replies.

My son lives between me and his mum; (separated parents). He is 13 years old. (not really the age to be up-to-date with current affairs & news).

He said that when he was in the TRUE shop with his mum (about a year and a half ago) they said that he needed to register his passport with them. which he did.

he said that when he heard about everyone in thailand needing to register their phones (this year), he assumed that he had already done this... (as the woman in the shop was talking about registering his passport).

even I would have made that mistake... (as the misleading usage of the word REGISTER, the first time around).

Anyway.. thank you ('steven100') for the lovely information about 7-11 smile.png

he said he has about 200 contacts in his phone book. (and his phone number was an expensive Purchased one).

if he gets a new number, he has to find a way to let 200 people know his new number.

which again, seems a huge task.

his mum just told me that she has NOT registered anythig, EVER (with DTAC) and he phone is still working fine without any issues.

i might try the idea of TRANSFERING his number to another operator (if they allow me).

otherwise I can try complaining and complaining to TRUE and see how far I can go with this.

again, if any other ideas come to your mind, please let me know wink.png

Thanks again wink.png

give a miss mate,unless your bored with nothing to do.13 and 200 ph contacts,5555,how many does he really need.

Being a bit dopey isn't really someone else's fault!

True aren't great at letting you know, as I am currently suffering from them with no Internet or TV!

AIS, on teh other hand kept sending me SMS messages even though I had registered, can't win.

DTAC didn't let me know either. I only found out by reading Thai Visa! The DTAC web site mentioned it, but I hardly ever go there. I had previously 6 years ago registered my ID with DTAC but it was negated for the latest registration so had to be done all again without notice from DTAC to me. Luckily I did mine on time, and thro the DTAC web site all very effortlessly without need to go anywhere using the web cam.

Surely 13 yo kids would need adult supervision to do such likewise?

he (was) 11, but has "an expensive" fancy number, so I'd assume he has a half decent phone.

Most half decent phones don't save the contacts to the sim, but to the internal memory, but even if his are on the sim, there's normally a setting option to 'copy sim contacts to phone' (I think my Nokia 3310 had this)

I have lost my phone before, so in order to get my number back I had to take my passport to a dtac store - I was kinda assuming i would be registered already, but, with the massive nationwide campaign on TV, newspapers, websites, SMS messages etc making it impossible to not be aware, and also making it sooooo easy to check - just by sending an SMS - I did just that.

Turned out I wasn't registered, so did it online via webcam from Korea. Easy Peasy.

Not sure what you have to complain about TBH, but give True a call, and maybe he can keep his number

Live and learn eh

Buy a new SIM sad.png

Enough information on how to verify that your SIM is registered has been published plus an extension to the registration time.

It was extensively advertised months in advance that the NBTC required sims to be registered.

The mandatory registration started on February 1, 2015, as required by the Thai government's National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC). At the time, there were approximately 90 million prepaid SIM cards, of which only about 6 million had been registered. One may assume that all postpaid / billed SIM cards would not require registration, but I still recommend you check by the *151# code.

After July 31, 2015, phones which are not registered will still be able to receive incoming calls but will not be able to make outgoing calls, nor use data connections, not send SMS messages to other users.

Every 7-11 in the country carries SIM cards and Top Up Credit. There are over 7,000 7-11 stores in Thailand. (That’s one store for every 9,428 people in the country.) Also any big mall is going to have phones for sale as wall as official DTAC, AIS and True Move retailers.

Not much point in complaining. Whilst I understand your frustration you seem to have missed (or are choosing to ignore) steven and crossy's points. Not only was this widely advertised but simple instructions were provided on how to check if your sim had been registered. You chose to ignore the guidance and now want to complain that the inevitable has happened.

Buy a new sim and learn from the experience.

All a bit negative but I hope you are successful in getting them to let him keep his old number. I just don't think you have a valid complaint.

Just letting you guys know that Yesterday, I went to the SOURCE. (the original TRUE shop where my son went (with his mum) 1 and a half years ago where he gave his passport... (which they since proclaimed was NOT registering, but just a Name Check).

after getting the Manager of the shop and a guy that could speak english, he spend about 40 minutes with me.

and guess what ?

FINALLY, he found,, on his own system, that indeed my son had given his passport 1 and a half years ago, with all the information that they needed for his phone to be registered!

he tried re-allocating my sons number to a new son, but it failed (a system error).

so he said he will call me tomorrow. (which is today).

this morning I got a call from a woman at TRUE telling me that my Sons number is now ACTIVE again and , as of 30 minutes ago, his Phone has now just got signal. (and I have confirmed his number is now back).

So, all is well adn FIXED and Solved, (thanks to a little perserverence at the Original TRUE shop).

Basicall: My son HAD registered, (as he had Assumed).

BUT: because it was 1.5 years ago,, (way before everyone else), many of the TRUE shops didnt process the Early Applicants correctly.

I did register my own phone (about 6 months ago, in another TRUE shop).

I did not go back since then to check that they actually did the registering correctly at the TRUE shop.I also Assume they did it correctly.

When I pay a Water or Electric Bill, I ASSUME its taken care of. I dont need to phone the call centre and check the payment went through.

i cant see anything wrong in my son doing his registering 1.5 years ago, (which is probably way before any of you guys registered), and he assumed the shop 'did its job correctly'.

Anyway, its all done now, I am happy to say smile.png

Did the earlier posters not read the OP?

He said that the boy believed that he had registered it earlier.

I had a friend arrive recently from Europe with his unregistered SIM (after the deadline) and AIS or Telewiz transferred his old number to a new SIM card.

A pity if he had his contacts only stored on the old card.

What your son said was correct. The Government first announced that all SIM cards must be registered about 1 1/2 years ago, and there was a 6 month deadline. I went to True with my passport and told them I had come to register and they did not know what to do so they rang their head office and then took copies of my passport and name and address. However the deadline was extended and again they urged people to register by February this year. Not wanting to get cut off and having had poor experiences of Thai staff doing their jobs properly, I went to True again and when the manager checked she said that the SIM card had not been registered at the time I had taken the SIM to be registered They had only taken my passport details and address. Once again I went through the registration process and she showed me how to check that the SIM is registered by entering a code on the phone. Had I trusted True to have actually registered my phone on the original date then I too would have been cut off.

If you complain to True you should get a new SIM with the original number (if still available) and the monetary balance on the phone plus compensation. I got my B500+ and B500 free calls as compensation. Thai phone companies are no longer able to keep your unused balances.

Thank you "Patanawet" and "Estrada",

you gave the most 'positive' comments to me (in this thread).. , and, if you check the above reply I made to some other members, you can see that I sorted out the situation with TRUE already ;)

it turned out that my son had registered his phone VERY EARLY (when there was rumors about it). and his details were stored in the shops computer. But, because it was so early, many shops didnt know how to process this information.

Most shops only really started to do this process correctly less than a year ago.

Most people on this thread were saying how its my sons fault for not being aware of the registration deadline.

but the whole point of my thread was that he did register his phone 1 and a half years ago... (probably before everyone else on this thread, Lol).

but it was TRUE shops mistake for not processing his information correctly.

anyway,, his phone number is working again today ;)

Thank you again for the positive comments "Patanawet" and "Estrada" :)

Buy a new SIM sad.png

Not much point in complaining. Whilst I understand your frustration you seem to have missed (or are choosing to ignore) steven and crossy's points. Not only was this widely advertised but simple instructions were provided on how to check if your sim had been registered. You chose to ignore the guidance and now want to complain that the inevitable has happened.

Buy a new sim and learn from the experience.

All a bit negative but I hope you are successful in getting them to let him keep his old number. I just don't think you have a valid complaint.

Just letting you guys know that Yesterday, I went to the SOURCE. (the original TRUE shop where my son went (with his mum) 1 and a half years ago where he gave his passport... (which they since proclaimed was NOT registering, but just a Name Check).

after getting the Manager of the shop and a guy that could speak english, he spend about 40 minutes with me.

and guess what ?

FINALLY, he found,, on his own system, that indeed my son had given his passport 1 and a half years ago, with all the information that they needed for his phone to be registered!

he tried re-allocating my sons number to a new son, but it failed (a system error).

so he said he will call me tomorrow. (which is today).

this morning I got a call from a woman at TRUE telling me that my Sons number is now ACTIVE again and , as of 30 minutes ago, his Phone has now just got signal. (and I have confirmed his number is now back).

So, all is well adn FIXED and Solved, (thanks to a little perserverence at the Original TRUE shop).

Basicall: My son HAD registered, (as he had Assumed).

BUT: because it was 1.5 years ago,, (way before everyone else), many of the TRUE shops didnt process the Early Applicants correctly.

I did register my own phone (about 6 months ago, in another TRUE shop).

I did not go back since then to check that they actually did the registering correctly at the TRUE shop.I also Assume they did it correctly.

When I pay a Water or Electric Bill, I ASSUME its taken care of. I dont need to phone the call centre and check the payment went through.

i cant see anything wrong in my son doing his registering 1.5 years ago, (which is probably way before any of you guys registered), and he assumed the shop 'did its job correctly'.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Good to hear you got it sorted.

Also hope you noted Crossy's comment about assuming anything - especially in Thailand. I registered my current phone number years ago with passport at a DTAC office. When I texted an SMS to DTAC it would reply a message saying I was registered.

Earlier this year a "new" registration process was put in place and the old sms inquiring status now got a negative response and asked me to register the number or it would be removed from service. I registered again and all is well.